Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Working on my car and my looooong Quickjack story.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 10:44 AM
fossilfuel
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gazzz999, I am going to try to set up the 3500 today and try it on my 993...stay tuned.

-m
Old 10-07-2016, 10:52 AM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

seems like you might be better off with a set of escos, the height seems similar. storage would be easier too.
Old 10-08-2016, 02:28 PM
Rdelvalle
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by fossilfuel
Gazzz999, I am going to try to set up the 3500 today and try it on my 993...stay tuned.

-m
Did you try the 3500? How do you like it?
Old 10-08-2016, 02:39 PM
bobbyp
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by EMBPilot
seems like you might be better off with a set of escos, the height seems similar. storage would be easier too.
Seems like about the same height as the escos but with the escos to get to full height you need to do the floor jack dance of lifting the back, putting in stands, lifting the front, putting in stands, lift some more in back, adjust stands, lift some more in front, adjust stands, etc.
Old 10-10-2016, 12:55 PM
fossilfuel
Instructor

Part 2.

I did get to set up and try the 3500's over the weekend.

The 3500's are lighter and more manageable---easier to move, store, lift, etc.

And they do work on my 993---but just barely. The span between the jacking points on the car is +/- 50" The widest points of the trays on the 3500's are +/-50" so it fits right at the edge.

If you use just the rubber blocks, they can push on the plastic 'rocker panel' trim so I use metal jack pads that fit into the jack point holes. The rubber blocks contact the pads below the rocker trim...so no damage or deflection of the plastic.

You can see from the pictures that the jack pads are right on the edge of the rubber blocks --with the rubber blocks pushed as wide as possible.

It works and the car is stable....I left it up in the air all weekend (I am doing spark plugs today!) The QJ is in the safety-lock position and I disconnected the hydraulics. I pushed and bumped the car. It is as solid as it would be on jack stands. I am totally comfortable getting in it or under it. But there is no room for error in positioning.

At this point, I am thinking the modified 5000 may be the Goldielocks solution: the original 5000 is too big, the 3500 is just a bit smaller than I'd prefer. Hopefully the modified/new Porsche edition 5000 will be "just right".

Ok, time to go do spark plugs! I'l check in later with bloody knuckles :-)

-mark
Attached Images           
Old 10-10-2016, 02:03 PM
HalfGerman
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 133 Posts

Too bad they could not make one of the trays adjustable. Think of something like a trombone slide, with pins to lock it in place. But that would probably compromise the weight balance and or design.

Thanks for keeping us informed.
Old 10-10-2016, 03:40 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I was one of the beta testers on 911s with the 3500. (Friend is sponsored by them in SCCA competition.) I got it solely as a track tire changing "tool." No way, no how am I crawling under a car supported by only one of these.

The following users liked this post:
paulkromz (09-01-2019)
Old 10-10-2016, 04:59 PM
Blacktop
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like you got good customer service. However, I agree with Ken. I'm not trying to be argumentative, but these things look scary to me. If hydraulic jacks fail regularly, I wonder what the failure rate is of these?

My recommendation is that if you want to use these ramps, you should place some jack stands under the front & rear suspension somewhere just to be extra safe.

FWIW, whenever I put my 993 up on jack stands, I leave the jack in place under the engine just in case.
Old 10-10-2016, 05:32 PM
Manda Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm in market too and I've come as close as calling Harbor stores to see if they were in the store.

I was going to buy biggest one but it must work primarily under my 911's. I'm standing by-- thanks for sharing.
Old 10-10-2016, 05:47 PM
uniquenamehere
Burning Brakes

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
I was one of the beta testers on 911s with the 3500. (Friend is sponsored by them in SCCA competition.) I got it solely as a track tire changing "tool." No way, no how am I crawling under a car supported by only one of these.
I'd be interested in knowing why... is this not what they're designed for?
Old 10-10-2016, 05:57 PM
Blacktop
Intermediate

Because hydraulic rams like these can fail, and when they do there's no warning. With all that weight on them, they will just collapse. With somebody under them.

I would not risk my own life under a car supported by just these, and I don't recommend anyone else do so either.
Old 10-10-2016, 09:04 PM
fossilfuel
Instructor

I have been under mine all day on my spark plug adventure (rusted exhaust fasteners, etc).

The QuickJack has locking arms. It relies on hydraulics to lift the ramps, but when you get to full extension, or one position lower, you lower the ramps back down a tad and the locking arms lock into that fixed position. Just like a regular lift----it goes up with hydraulics, but ratchets against mechanical lock stops on the way. It's a failsafe and a way not to keep constant pressure on the rams.

I left my car up all weekend in the lock position and even disconnected the hydraulics. At that point it was simply a pair of mechanical ramps in the air.

When it is time to move up or down, connect the hoses (if needed) and then raise the ramps a bit and release the lock arms and lower.

So I get what people are saying, but you are NOT putting yourself at the mercy of hydraulics holding when these are in the locked position.

-mark
Attached Images  
Old 10-10-2016, 11:13 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Just a thought, but looking at your pics again. Couldn't you drive car up onto some 2"X12"s and make enough clearance, to get the 5000 to clear it?
Old 10-11-2016, 04:25 AM
Gazzz999
AutoX

Thanks for the update, fossilfuel. Looking forward to more details of the "porsche edition" when you get your hands on one.
Old 10-11-2016, 10:33 AM
Blacktop
Intermediate

OK, thanks for the clarification. That makes more sense now. Even so, if I were working under there, I would still put something else under the car just to be safe.

Quick Reply: Working on my car and my looooong Quickjack story.