993 Purchase Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 12:44 PM
Bluehorizon
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts
Question 993 Purchase Thoughts

Hi,

Long time P-car enthusiast here, have owned a variety of cars from a 2003 Boxster S, 996, 997 and 991s (culminating in a Turbo that I recently traded in). Anyway, for my next Porsche experience I've come across a 993 that looks interesting but has some quirks. I figured I'd post up here to see what the general consensus was as to whether this is a car I should seriously consider.

The car in question is a 1995 Carrera in midnight blue with a grey interior and 47k on the clock. You can see the dealer listing here: https://monterey.porschedealer.com/i...95+Blue+760301

The dealer purchased the car before the Monterey car week in hopes that the local auctions would drive up interest, but have yet to sell it as they put it up at around $54k and for others reasons likely below..

The good:
- It's a 1 owner car that has been serviced mostly at Porsche Monterey
- The interior is in excellent shape (genuine 9/10)
- Low mileage (46k)
- Appears to drive fine, but then I'm not a 993 expert.
- It's listed at $46k now (ignore the price on the website) and I might be able to negotiate it down a little although the dealer claims to be in it for $46k.

The not-so-good:
- The car has an accident listed on Carfax. According to the dealer, someone reversed into the car into the drivers side rear wing. The dealer actually repaired this (has before photo) before they put it on sale.
- Besides the above, the paint is not in great shape in certain areas. There are paint bubbles either side of the car close to the windshield. Dealer claims they have a work order for $3,500 to fix the paint and replace the windshield as it will likely break upon removal. I also noticed a bubble on the seal on one of the rear window.
- Calipers have paint peeling off.
- There are significant scratches on the lower half of the front splinter and also around the right hand exhaust tip (both sides). Will need respray.
- The rear logo is broken, with crud around it which would likely need that resprayed too before placing a new logo on it.

So, in summary, it's car that needs TLC to become great again. However, I'm worried that accident history (despite it being more of parking ding) and the potential need to respray either all or parts of the car will haunt it in the future.

Based on what I mentioned above, what would you be willing to pay for a car like this?

Here's the Carfax FWIW: https://www.carfaxonline.com/cfm/Dis...AA2999SS321542
Old 10-02-2016, 01:14 PM
dannycf
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

In my opinion $54k would be a fair price in today's market if none of the issues existed.
Considering the bad Carfax and paint issues I would say around $40k is more like it.
If you have a budget in the mid 50's there are a lot of nice no issues narrow body 993's out there right now.
Old 10-02-2016, 02:04 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Paint bubbles suggest corrosion in other places. May have spent time in a northern state exposed to road calcium chloride, very corrosive. I would look for one without indications of corrosion. My car spent it's first 10 years in New Mexico, and now Virginia, it exhibits no exterior rust. Also a fix in a rear qtr panel is not a bolt on part and so should always be questioned. If they repainted it with a standard acrylic paint as most shops do it will not last the life of the car like a urethane 2k will.
$54K should buy a lot of car. I would even consider an 80K miles example with a new clutch and well maintained over one with corrosion. Even at 29K would you really want it??
Old 10-02-2016, 02:36 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by pp000830
Paint bubbles suggest corrosion in other places. May have spent time in a northern state exposed to road calcium chloride, very corrosive. I would look for one without indications of corrosion. My car spent it's first 10 years in New Mexico, and now Virginia, it exhibits no exterior rust. Also a fix in a rear qtr panel is not a bolt on part and so should always be questioned. If they repainted it with a standard acrylic paint as most shops do it will not last the life of the car like a urethane 2k will.
$54K should buy a lot of car. I would even consider an 80K miles example with a new clutch and well maintained over one with corrosion. Even at 29K would you really want it??
HECK YEAH! @ $29k...But its not for sale @ that price point.

Last edited by nine9six; 10-02-2016 at 04:59 PM.
Old 10-02-2016, 03:45 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

Agreed. I'd move on. There are plenty of 993's with a clear history and title. No corrosion to boot. Paint finish blistering at the front and rear glass rubber surround is an alarm. The known remedy is money? Real money if done correctly. But hey that's my chicken she- it two cents.

When time comes and you get out of the 993 bring it to market,, as the Porsche's before - Do you want to be in the position with this coupe's history? What $ level makes this car right? $5k to $8K. Porsche parts/labor ain't cheap.

The interiors stated 9/10 is one present condition metric, however the exterior condition doesn't seem to add up.

Originally Posted by pp000830
Old 10-02-2016, 03:51 PM
jenskleis
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be very careful with rust forming around the window seals. Once the rot shows on the outside, it is probably pretty awful underneath.

My 964 had a bit of rust bubbles forming at the lower corner of the windshield frame and, when my mechanic removed the windshield, he found deep rust in the cavity underneath.
Old 10-02-2016, 04:31 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

I love the pictures that dealer put online. Not one of them (from my phone) appears to show any of the existing issues with the exception of the Carrera script being broken. They probably bought it for $20K. Move on...
Old 10-02-2016, 04:48 PM
Bluehorizon
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks for all the feedback here. I concur that the paint bubbles are concerning despite the dealer indicating they have inspected top to bottom.

The story is that the car has spent most of its life outside as the previous owner had 6 other Pcars. Add then the fact that it lived in Monterey by the ocean and that's a recipe for corrosion.

I'll keep looking!

Last edited by Bluehorizon; 10-02-2016 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 10-02-2016, 05:39 PM
doc_porsche
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Agreed with most. Move on to the next one, $54k can get a really nice one now
Old 10-02-2016, 07:58 PM
gt3'er
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Agree. Its a $40k car AT BEST. Probably less. With those problems, you know the dealer got it cheap.
Old 10-02-2016, 08:43 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by doc_porsche
Agreed with most. Move on to the next one, $54k can get a really nice one now
The bubble has burst, thank god the valuation threads have stopped. Hopefully we're back to being enthusiasts again.

Quick Reply: 993 Purchase Thoughts