Old 10-26-2003, 10:55 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 102 Likes on 52 Posts
Default ROW springs installed!!!!

Long time coming, finally broke down and bought a set of M030 ROW springs. Great deal from Sunset Imports in Oregon!

Spent a few hours last night tackling the rear, since it is the most difficult. Late last night while doing the rears, I had a little visit from Bozo and his friend Murphy. I did the RR first, reinstalled it and went to bed. I was really tired from a wedding and reception earlier that day.

Went down to the garage this morning and dropped the LR shock and removed the spring and noticed the plastic spring centering doohickey (engineering term) was flipped over compared to the way I remember installing the RR the night before. Then the cold rush of adrenaline flowed throughout, after I realized I installed the RR doohickey upside down. POOP! Well, removed the RR, removed the spring and flipped over the spring centering plastic piece. Well I gotta do it right.

Finished the rear, proceeded to the front which is really a piece of cake. Only about two hours or so. Bled the brakes (while I was there) and set her on the ground. I was surprised I didnt hear any creaks or pops as it settled onto its new springs. In the past, when I lowered 'other' cars, I always heard pops and moans as the car settles onto new springs etc.

As far as damper condition, I thought I would install springs (car already has M030 option) and have a look at the dampers and decide then about new dampers. The dampers has always felt like their still good while driving compared to other 993's that I have driven. So when I got the springs off, it took darn near all I had to compress the dampers. The car has 44k miles on it and I expected them to be really easy to compress etc. I did find, while cleaning them, they are Boge's and not the Monroe brand. Wonder if that has anything to do with it. Anyhow, I ended up reusing them, at least for the time being.

Wife would dis-own me if I bought shocks for it too as we are about to spend some money on hardwood floors etc.

Anyhow, hear are some crude pics as its dark out now and ash is everywhere, including on my car despite having the garage door closed all day.

Look Danny (DJF1) no more Paris-Dakaar ride height!
Attached Images  
Old 10-26-2003, 10:58 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

here is another pic...
Attached Images  
Old 10-26-2003, 11:04 PM
rcwelch
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chris...when looking at the picture you posted, I see a lot of space between the top of the rear tire and the edge of the fender lip...is this the before picture as the car looks pretty high to me. When viewed at the same angle my car sits right at the same level as the top of the tire...you can't see any inner bodywork.
Old 10-26-2003, 11:18 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

rcwelch, I havent driven the car yet I am sure it will settle some. For some reason, the car looks higher in the pics. I think because of the contrasting yellow inner fender wells against the black of the tire. Looks much lower in person. You should see similar angle/lighting pics of it before! It had the prerunner ride height, or as Danny called it 'Paris-Dakaar' set-up.

I plan to drive it around the block tomorrow and get a fender lip measurement. Then its off to get aligned.
Old 10-27-2003, 12:09 AM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chris-is there a DIY on this that you've found? I'm all ready to replace my springs and shocks.

Hope you like the way your car rides tomorrow. I have a feeling you will....

Thanks,
chuck
Old 10-27-2003, 01:15 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Chuck, just bring her over and we'll bang it out.... Actually there is a DIY for the front on http://p-car.com/diy/sus/

The rear isnt too bad, just a little more involved. I can walk you through it if you'd like.

Kim, baby steps, think baby steps... I think the car will 'squat' another quarter inch or so once I drive it a little, or even move the car fore and aft due to suspension scrub. Its a world of difference as it is now.

Kim, are you close to RS height?
Old 10-27-2003, 01:21 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chris,
Great pics.......But I do have to agree with Kim. Get that sucka down some more!!!!
Old 10-27-2003, 01:42 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Phil, I figured the aero loading at 140mph will lower it down some more! Joking.....
Old 10-27-2003, 02:09 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Okay, you guys are killen' me. I went out to the garage and measured from the gound to the fender lips. Did a bounce and roll (rolled the car back and forth) and it settled another 3/16 to 1/4".

I can see it now, by weeks end, I'll have a set of Bilstein HD's on order. That way I will be able to adjust ride height easily. guess I better decide before I get it aligned etc.

Also just the spring change moves me out of stock class in the POC.

Now I'll get to run with Phil?
Old 10-27-2003, 09:02 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Chris,

I do not think going with the Bilstein HDs will give you any additional ride height adjustment which will lower your 993 lower than the current ride height. In matter of the fact with the Bilsteins HDs shocks your car will sit a little higher than the current setup.

Here are some pictures of Hank's 993 US-RS, the ride height is "by the book" RS ride height.

Front

Rear

P.S. In case anyone wonder what a 993 US-RS is, here is the link.
993 US-RS

It is basically a US street legal 993 faithfully converted to a Euro RS spec. 993 in every possible detail. I believe it is 95% complete.

Last edited by Robin 993DX in South Beach; 10-27-2003 at 09:23 AM.
Old 10-27-2003, 09:24 AM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 443 Likes on 242 Posts

I know almost nothing about suspension. Isn't it the springs which give you the rise height, not the shocks? (If I understand it right, the shocks just give you resistance to change in height rather than a fixed position. Am I missing something?)
Old 10-27-2003, 09:48 AM
993Widebody
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree that the car will settle down and sit a bit lower than shown in the pix.
Old 10-27-2003, 09:48 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

The shock can effect ride height in two ways. For example in the case of the Bilstein HDs, the shaft of the shock where the spring perch is secured when compressed by the car's weight sits higher by design than the factory shocks, which causes the car to sit a little higher with the same spring.

In the below picture you will see the Bilstein HDs with the thread on the shock tube which allows you to determine how much the spings tension is allowed on the spring while mounted in the shock. Which in term raises and lower the ride height and also is how it can effect weight distribution for corner balancing. Depended on the length of the thread is what determines the amount of ride height adjustment you can have.

Last edited by Robin 993DX in South Beach; 10-27-2003 at 10:13 AM.
Old 10-27-2003, 11:57 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Robin, I was referring to the modified HD's with extra thread cut into them. At least as I am told....
Old 10-27-2003, 12:00 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

In that case, it will work.

Quick Reply: ROW springs installed!!!!