Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My personal alternator/fan/pulley debacle

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2016 | 04:32 PM
squidge
Pro

Default My personal alternator/fan/pulley debacle

So before I bought the car a couple weeks ago, I knew that the pulleys were wobbling and there was a lot of squealing noise coming from the alternator/pulley area on startup. I tied back the belt sensor -- no change. So I ordered up all new pulleys, belts, shims, an alternator, and a fan hub bearing and dug in.

Here's the wobbling I eventually found:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slfk...ature=youtu.be

Let's start from the beginning though:

Name:  ws8DqBZ.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  168.1 KB

The belts had five years and five thousand miles on them, all Porsche branded though not visible here.
Name:  r6sYwLS.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  173.9 KB

A stack of hockey pucks worked nicely to keep the AC compressor and lines lifted up and out of the way.
Name:  ILt1VT8.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  164.4 KB

Not air cooled anymore!
Name:  tjy8gew.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  176.4 KB

Name:  zVPN7gh.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  177.1 KB

The pulley was really stuck to the mating surface on the fan. Took a rubber mallet and a large screwdriver to unstuck it. Gross corrosion.
Name:  FDQiwsa.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  165.5 KB

Pulling the fan and hub off the alternator shaft. I later found a better pressing surface than a broken sawzall blade... the aluminum jack pad for my BMW worked great.
Name:  j4WU2B0.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  203.7 KB

At this point I was regretting not making plans for powdercoating:
Name:  8vxOG24.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  181.2 KB

But a scrub in the kitchen sink cleaned it up very nicely:
Name:  2zxJbcU.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  169.9 KB

Skipping ahead a bit, I ran into some QA issues with the Bosch rebuilt alternator. One of the long bolts was stuck slightly away from the housing, so I had to use a punch to unstick it. I presume this would've happened while tightening the nuts later, but better safe.
Name:  oGpghhV.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  166.5 KB

The bigger problem was that the screw for the brown wire (that dirty SOB) was reversed. Old alternator on the left with accessible grounding hole, new one on the right with comparatively inaccessible ground hole. I swapped holes on the new one, but this involved pulling the whole thing back out and installing a second time as I hadn't noticed before installing.
Name:  TXxujE6.jpg
Size:  163.7 KB

Here's where things got really frustrating. I installed the housing, alternator, and fan. When spinning the fan, the hub appeared to wobble compared to the pulley mating surface on the fan. WTF! Is the bearing not in square? Well no... I realized that the mating surface itself has some problems. One of the alignment pins is totally gone, the other one has worn into an oblong shape, and there's material mushroomed up out of one of the holes. In fact, the whole surface is taller on one side than the other, creating a wobble when the pulley is attached.

Name:  RVekRk8.jpg
Size:  130.9 KB

Name:  ubdoKwd.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  83.1 KB

It's actually visible to the eye, but I confirmed it with calipers too. Ordered up a new fan from Sunset, and this story is to be continued...

Seems like the first repair on a new car always has to make you its bitch.
Old 09-18-2016 | 05:03 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

how the heck did that happen? good catch
looks like you may have needed a new fan anyways. looking forward to seeing conclusion.

many of us have had to do this debacle 2 - 3 times during our first go for different reasons. (like me)
Old 09-18-2016 | 09:11 PM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

PSA You may find this thread of value when doing a core exchange for a new or rebuilt alternator to see if your old alternator has the better insulator (you can salvage) or not.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ound-wire.html
Old 09-18-2016 | 09:29 PM
squidge
Pro

Thanks for the heads up. Indeed, my original alternator has the larger insulator and the rebuilt has the smaller one. I've already got everything in place and was about to ship the old alternator back, but it'll probably be worth the hassle to swap it over. Hopefully I can do it without needing to remove the alternator and fan housing again... damn brown wire.
Old 09-18-2016 | 09:48 PM
BesideTheBox
Rennlist Member

Regarding the material that has mushroomed out one of the holes, can't you simply file that material down smooth with the machined face?
Try that and then see if the pulley half spins true.
It doesn't look to me like you need a new fan.
Old 09-18-2016 | 09:54 PM
squidge
Pro

It's not just the material that's mushroomed out, the whole surface is crooked by nearly a millimeter from one side to the other. The whole thing would have to be machined down. I'm sure it could be done and I might eventually do it and keep it as a spare.
The following users liked this post:
M. Schneider (06-06-2023)
Old 09-18-2016 | 10:12 PM
BesideTheBox
Rennlist Member

Where are you measuring the 1mm difference from side to side?
Your final picture shows differences in the casting, which are to be expected because it is a casting.
Only the machined face needs to be straight (perpendicular to the shaft).
Sorry if I am missing the issue - not convinced that you have one that can't easily be remedied.
Old 09-18-2016 | 10:49 PM
squidge
Pro

The machined face is not completely perpendicular to the shaft. If you start at the shaft with a straight line going to one side of the machine face, and then the other, you get different heights. I tried photographing it better, but I'm pretty convinced this is causing the wobble, and it's not just the bit that's sticking up.

Name:  mY6yKu1.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  98.9 KB

I can't really photograph it with my phone while holding a pair of calipers, but it's visibly out of whack in person. I'm returning a $140 fan hub bearing towards the $440 fan, so considering I just bought the car, I consider the $300 difference worth it to be sure it's done right.

And I salvaged the insulator from the original alternator -- thanks again!
The following users liked this post:
M. Schneider (06-06-2023)
Old 09-19-2016 | 12:06 AM
BesideTheBox
Rennlist Member

Sounds right then. The face should be perpendicular.
Maybe a machine shop can address that and you will have a nice spare.
Damn that fan cleaned up nicely!
Good luck with your project.
Old 09-19-2016 | 12:22 AM
squidge
Pro

I think this clarifies the issue better. Rotated the image until I could draw a straight line across the base of the flange, then another straight line across the face. Surely anything mated to this would wobble to an equal degree, especially a rotating assembly at high RPMs.
Attached Images  
Old 09-19-2016 | 12:50 AM
_snowbird_
Rennlist Member

I really don't have anything to add on this subject, but a welcome to squidge. It's nice to have a new member in the forum who's into DIY - and backs it up solidly with documentation and images for others to learn from.

Good luck sorting out the wobble!
Old 09-19-2016 | 01:01 AM
Dick in TN
Racer

If you reface the fan you'll need to shim the pulley by whatever you take off the fan, otherwise the fan pulley won't align with the crankshaft pulley, which will increase the wear rate of the belt. If it was mine I wouldn't try to salvage it, even as a spare.
What kind of environment was the car kept in?
Old 09-19-2016 | 01:06 AM
squidge
Pro

Good to know, I was wondering how that would affect things. It seems less like it would directly affect tension and more like it would affect the alignment of the belts vertically, maybe increasing the chance of throwing a belt? I'm leaning more towards keeping the fan around as a decoration or making a little fresh air fan for the garage.

It's a lifetime CA car.

And thanks, snowbird! Happy to add back to the forums of whatever car I'm wrenching on at the moment. It was BMWs previously, and DSMs before that. I hope to be a lifetime P-car owner from here on.
Old 09-19-2016 | 07:52 AM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by EMBPilot

many of us have had to do this debacle 2 - 3 times during our first go for different reasons. (like me)
Ditto
Old 09-19-2016 | 09:50 AM
user 723923490
Banned

I suspect that the surface under the flange is actually bent distorting the location of the flange.
That fan would make a lovely time piece!

Quick Reply: My personal alternator/fan/pulley debacle