cold & rainy days

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2003, 06:21 AM
jorisg
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cold & rainy days

Hi boys and girls,...

Winter is approaching rapidly here in the Netherlands, already the leaves are falling and rain is more common than sunshine. So the 993 is spending more and more time in the garage, waiting for the summer to start, or that rare sunny winter day (without any salt on the roads)!

Since I do not want to change the battery after every winter I am using a battery conditioner to keep the battery topped up and ready for that first sunny day. Now I am using a battery conditioner that I connect directly to the battery. As a result I have to leave the hood open. Already I noticed that the interior lights stayed on, even when the hood was pushed in the first lock position. So I switched of the interior lights, and all was dark of course.

However yesterday when I took the car out for a spin, I noticed that the battery conditioner was quite warm.

Can anybody give me advice if this is an ok methode to keep the battery good and full, or should I switch to a battery conditioner that is charging the battery through the cigarette lighter?? I think that this is also supplied by Porsche?

Thanks again
Old 10-26-2003, 06:45 AM
RS man
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why don't you just disconnect the batteries? I think this is OK - I'm sure others will tell you if I am wrong. I will be disconnecting mine shortly as the roads are full of salt now.

Harry
Old 10-26-2003, 01:24 PM
Bruce SEA 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

You also can push the hood latch down to turn off the light. You will have to open the hood with the handle to release the latch so you can close it again. I do drive mine in the winter but there are extended periods when I do not use my car. So I just put it on a on-board charger or battery maintainer. Porsche makes a good one...I don't recal where I got mine at. It is one of the US web/mail order outfits. Been using it for 5 years w/o prollems!
Old 10-26-2003, 04:40 PM
Jack Ennuste
Burning Brakes

Season is over here in Estonia. I garage my car, rise it on the stands and disconnect the battery . Otherwise its empty after 2 weeks, I believe.
Old 10-26-2003, 07:53 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Even if you switch the interior lights, your trunk light stays on.

Take the light bulb off from it and you should be fine.

There are ton of other things you should do when putting car on a winter "sleep" though. Search the archives, I know I've posted a long list once an others have good winter storage tips also.

BTW, what's this tal about winter rain & cold? It's just starting to get perfect here!
(Sorry, knowing what cold & rainy (well, snowy) winters are, couldn't resist...)
First time drive after winter is just awesome though!

Quick Reply: cold & rainy days