Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Custom Dials (tachometer) Recommendations?

Old 01-21-2019, 01:52 AM
DutchNy
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

Im looking a red face for my Tach only.
Old 01-21-2019, 02:33 PM
skyboy
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got mine from the aforementioned http://www.heiler-tachodesign.de/.

It isnt installed yet but it looks like a quality item. I read somewhere they lack diffusers so I don’t know what it will look like at night,

Old 01-22-2019, 05:35 PM
DutchNy
Racer

Originally Posted by skyboy
I got mine from the aforementioned http://www.heiler-tachodesign.de/.

It isnt installed yet but it looks like a quality item. I read somewhere they lack diffusers so I don’t know what it will look like at night,

Pic when you install them please
Old 01-22-2019, 05:52 PM
skyboy
Advanced

Heres the overlay. I’ll post pictures when I get it in. I want to do LED while I’m in there so it might be awhile.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:12 PM
skyboy
Advanced

Here’s an update on my project. Because I wanted the additional contrast of a white needle/pointer, I decided to get another tach so I can easily return to stock if desired. I struck up a conversation with the seller and when I explained my project he offered to paint the needle white for a very reasonable fee. Here’s the tach with my red face on it. Also visible in the frame is my highly technical needle removal tool. I used a compass to measure the distance to the first hash to get the correct alignment.

LED’s from superbrightleds website are in transit. When I make progress I will post. I should have taken a picture with the face off - there’s tons of room in there to add more bulbs if someone wanted to do that. The cunning eye will notice the bezel is not all the way back on. I will first see how the LED lighting looks before fully reassembling everything in case I want to go back in and add more lights.
Old 03-10-2019, 11:46 PM
DutchNy
Racer

Originally Posted by SuperUser
I have two red ones that I have been meaning to sell. PM me if you're interested. Never mind I see you wanted white:-)
PM sent, I’m looking for a red one
Old 03-28-2019, 02:00 AM
skyboy
Advanced

The project is nearing completion so it’s time for an update. I did the LED conversion to all the lamps, including warning lamps. Actually, I ran out of red ones so I’ll pop the clock out when more arrive. What I found was some pretty bad hot spots on the tach.

so I decided to go ahead and add more LED’s since I noticed there was plenty of space to do so.

I ended up adding 5 more after doing 4 and having a dim spot at the 2.

The procedure is easy. Using a battery tender as a power supply, I first determined the polarity with the two LEDs installed in the factory location. I noted the positive and negative with a pencil on the pc board. Then I soldered wire right onto the bus, taking care to place the solder joint on the end of the trace that would not interfere with removing and installing a lamp in the future.

Then i determjned thr polarity of the lamps I used and marked the positive side with a pencil. These were attached to various points with a hot glue gun. Then it was a matter of soldering leads to connect them all. I reassembled, found the cold spot for the 2, cried a little and took it all apart to add a 5th light, and put it all back together again. Tested, rejoiced, and then installed the tach back into the dash.

Final footnote about the LED colors. I use the coolest white offered for all. You can see the tach white looks different from the other gauges white and that’s because the overlay is not oem and I went with black in day because to me it looks more sinister, which I like.

in real life the while on the oem gauges doesn’t look as blue as the pictures. To my eye it just looks like a very crisp white and way way nicer than the old newspaper white of the oe incandescents. This upgrade is a must-do in my opinion. I also did the dome light, and the little light that shines down on the ignition. It really modernizes the car.
Old 03-28-2019, 02:04 AM
skyboy
Advanced

I forgot to mention, the final step for me is to put polished trim rings around all the gauges once I double check all my warning light work right and I clean up the dash of fingerprints and the grease they put on the rubber surrounds. If I think of it I’ll post a picture the final product.
Old 04-23-2019, 12:12 AM
skyboy
Advanced

Old 04-23-2019, 12:17 AM
skyboy
Advanced

Wanted to mention that I had replaced all the warning lamps with LED except the airbag light because I read that the circuit relies on the load of the incandescent to know if the light is working.

i had problems with both the immobilizer light (stayed on all the time) and the CEL (flashed very rapidly and presented a 1691 code related to not being able to “see” the light. Returning both to regular incandescents solved the problem.
Old 10-23-2022, 01:49 AM
adamae82
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Emissary, I’m very much interested with the RWB face. Can you please share on how you were able to get it done. TIA.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Custom Dials (tachometer) Recommendations?