993 cab top latch - ? re: nose

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 11:40 PM
regult51
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 993 cab top latch - ? re: nose

Hello all,

I've read many of the posts related to cab top latch repair. I removed the passenger side motor, opened it up and found a broken gear. Rotated it so that the unbroken part of the gear is used. I removed and opened the driver side latch motor. Everything looked fine, with no broken parts inside. Both psgr and driver latch motors microswitches audibly 'click' when the shaft rotates to it's end points.

I installed everything back in and manually closed the top. When I activate the dashboard switch, I can see the latches rotating around and engaging the windshield grooves. However, when it gets to the end of travel, I still hear the 'knocking' sound, like it's trying to engage but can't.

Here's a video of the sound:

This was on the driver side. Can happen on the passenger side. If I apply downward pressure on top and carefully engage power latch, I can eventually get it to latch snugly.

Before I opened the latch motors, I thought the noise was from a broken gear, which is why I opened and inspected them. Little disheartening to hear the noise and lack of engagement still. Appreciate any advice on what the issue may be and why the 'knocking' sound is still present.

Thanks.

('95 993 cab)

Last edited by regult51; 08-26-2016 at 11:44 PM. Reason: vehicle model added, grammar
Old 08-27-2016, 09:24 AM
MielsOnWheels
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I had essentially the same thing occur after getting a new top installed. The top worked fine prior and after the new one was installed, as the top made contact with the windshield header, the latch motors would not grab the top and seal it closed. It turned out that the microswitches got out of sync due to the tighter fabric of the new top and the timing was all off.

The upholstery shop had to get the car to the local Porsche dealer. There, they re-synced the top's microswitches and ensured everything was happening in the correct timing to ensure the top latched correctly when it makes contact with the windshield latch motor. It wasn't' cheap to do - $400 - but the upolstery shop covered the bill and the top works fine now.

Perhaps this is your issue and the re-syncing is something you can do or others have done, but since the shop owned the problem, I let them handle making it right.
Old 08-27-2016, 11:50 AM
regult51
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. Do you recall if it was the micro switches in the latch motors or some other switch?
Old 08-28-2016, 10:59 AM
MielsOnWheels
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I believe it was the microswitches in the latch motors, but I'm not 100% on that. Apologies.

Quick Reply: 993 cab top latch - ? re: nose