Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How careful are you getting in & out of your 993?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2003, 11:22 AM
Bob 96 993 Cab
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You all are so right for being careful.

When I bought my Cab 3 1/2 years ago I noted that the rubber on the entry to the car was torn. I inquired as to having the dealer replace it. They came back and advised with labor that Rubber piece on the foot sill goes all around the cab top to the passenger foot sill!

They wanted $725 to replace it with a new one!!

I take all the aforementioned precautions as well.

Old 10-24-2003, 05:56 PM
Mike in O.C.
Instructor

Steve:
I'm also careful getting in and out, more concerned that I don't open the door all the way and then have to repair the door strap.
You may want to do what I do whenever you take your car in. Have an extra pair of cheap floor mats available, and just switch them with your good ones before you drop your car off.
BTW, my Toyota dealer puts more protectors on my truck (for the floor, seat, and steering wheel) then my Porsche dealer does (floor only) when I take them in for service.
Old 10-24-2003, 06:38 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I usually lead with my left hand and slide in to have my left hand hit the bolster and the back of my pants so it reduces the direct cotton/wool friction on the bolster. Probably sounds a bit nuts, but works well. If bolster is really worn, can probably switch with passenger seat back.
Old 10-24-2003, 06:46 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts

Mike in OC -
Great idea! Wish I hadn't tossed my old Porsche floor mats now. I knew I'd regret that one day... Live and learn.

Steve
Old 10-24-2003, 07:55 PM
PK
Addict
Rennlist Member

It's Friday afterwork and we're here worrying about making scuff marks on the side bolsters???

C'mon guys, get out there and drive 'til the wheels fall off.
Old 10-24-2003, 08:07 PM
S3
Instructor

I second PK. The car is a mode of transportation. By owning a p-car of the 993 type every drive is an epic one. Drive it and don't bother about wear and tear. The car is made to be used and not to be sitting around in some garage.
Old 10-24-2003, 08:53 PM
Speedraser
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

PK and S3,

Since one has to get into (and eventually, out of) the car in order to drive it, I figure it's worth getting in (and out) carefully. Worn bolsters look terrible, IMO. Driving the car is what it's all about, but the wear and tear can be largely avoided. I like to drive my car AND have it look like a garage queen.
Old 10-24-2003, 09:32 PM
PK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Speedraser
PK and S3,

Worn bolsters look terrible, IMO. Driving the car is what it's all about, but the wear and tear can be largely avoided. I like to drive my car AND have it look like a garage queen.
Speedraser,
I know...I know. I know it all too well about the worn bolsters. You should see my seats. That is why instead of a Nomax fire-suit I just drive in my birthday suit and no shoes so I won't scuff up anything. Besides, this way my garage queen and I can also attract some attentions from the dragqueens.

Have a nice weekend.
Old 10-26-2003, 01:06 AM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yep, here's what you guys have to look forward to if you're not careful, once your car hits 120k miles or so:

I've since replaced the door seal (the picture was taken to make sure I got the right part from the dealer). I'm living with the wear on the seat, though I have blended it a bit with black marker (as recommended by my local upholstery shop).

Funny thing about the wear on the seat. I didn't notice it until after picking the car up from an extended stay in the shop, where the seat was removed from the car for a good amount of time. I cursed the shop for somehow managing to damage my seat. Fortunately, I didn't confront the shop about damaging the seat. That would have been pretty embarrassing, considering how common this wear is.

And yes, I now try to lift my legs into the car carefully. But, it's annoying to have to worry about it in the first place. Not sure what Porsche could have done to minimize the problem, perhaps they've never given it a second thought?
Old 10-26-2003, 01:30 AM
Dick in TN
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Everyone,
A few years ago I noticed a little bit wear on the lower part of the seat back and traced it to where the edge of my wallet was touching the seat! (OK, no jokes about fat wallets!) Ever since then I put my wallet in a front pocket when I drive the Porsche.
Old 10-26-2003, 04:49 AM
Ron_H
928 Barrister
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool bolster wear

I had a local upholstery shop make a sacrificial vinyl bolster cover to stop the wear on the leather of the seat back. First the piping wears and then the bolster leather gets scuffed up. This way the vinyl cover takes the wear. It cost $45 and has been in place for over a year with no noticeable wear. If it wears out, I'll toss it and make another. If I want to remove it I simply pull it off (it is held in place with removeable stick on velcro and a large welt along the inner edge that slips under the padding of the seat back. I simply let my butt fall into the seat and then pull both legs into the car. I do this in my 914/6 also.
Old 10-26-2003, 06:04 PM
Stevarino
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA (Brentwood) & New York, NY (Tribeca)

That is a particularly tight squeeze in and out, especially if you have the high-fi option with fat speakers in the door and a narrow garage. I generally am very generous with Lexol on that bolster to keep the wear and tear at bay. But I'm also with a few others that the patina of wear gives the car a bit of character.

I enjoyed Rezel's comment. The other night I jumped out of the car when I dropped off my date for the evening. I think she was expecting a kiss goodnight. I just didn't want her to slam the door again. 'Probably explains why I'm still single.
Old 10-26-2003, 06:16 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Ron, do you have any pics you can post?
Old 10-26-2003, 10:35 PM
Ron_H
928 Barrister
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default bolster sleeve photo

Mark:
Here is a link to a photo of the bolster sleeve:
http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/bolstersleeve_3.jpg
If more photos are necessary, advise and I can upload more.
Old 10-27-2003, 12:26 AM
Speedraser
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Stevarino,

I learned, from experience, that you can reach over from the driver's seat and stop the about-to-be-slammed door with your hand. Now I'm married...

Quick Reply: How careful are you getting in & out of your 993?