Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Great idea!
Old 08-29-2016, 05:46 PM
Rockit
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pp000830
Seeing that most 993 are at or nearly 20 years old lots of dust has accumulated in the AC evaporator compounded by mold growing on the dust. This has clogged some percentage of the cooling fins on the evaporator. Some to a great extent.
Some time ago I cleaned the evaporator coil on my 993, it was like an AC upgrade.
I put a little detergent in some water in a $15 wand gallon pump bug sprayer. I pulled out the CCU and inserted the wand thru the vent behind it directly into the AC evaporator chamber. I sprayed in the detergent followed by a lot of water onto the evaporator refilling the pump sprayer three times. All the water drained out under the car thru the evaporator drain. I also can see how rinsing the other side of the evaporator by removing the driver side cabin filter and using the wand would be a plus. The AC runs cold now even in the 90 degree weather we have been having here in Richmond. So before one explores more invasive AC upgrades I would consider this to beat the summer heat.
Alan, if you remove the CCU I know there is a flap right there. The flap is like 5-6 inches long....how do you get the entire evaporator clean? The evaporator is like 12-16 inches long.

Is there enough room to move the wand up and down and side to side?

I think that's a great idea and solution.
Old 08-29-2016, 06:38 PM
AZ Targa
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It would help to remove the radio as well as the CCU. I don't know if there is enough room to move the sprayer around behind the flaps but removing the radio (as well as the CCU) will definitely give you better access.

Quick Reply: Improving Air Conditioning performance