Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the 993 Targa OK to Purchase ..good or bad

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 07:14 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

* These cars are rare (~1100 total imported to North America)
...Because of low demand, and which unfortunately does not translate into more worth.
Old 08-13-2016, 07:32 PM
SKM
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts

A technician at one of our local sPorsche dealerships suggested considering the targa top as a glass roof and never opening it. He had a targa roof completely disassembled at the time - perhaps 10 years ago. Must cost a fortune to repair them - similar to a cabriolet, the cost to rebuild them is prohibitive.
Old 08-13-2016, 08:01 PM
fullbooker
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love mine. Wonderful to open up the top when its not too hot!
Mechanism is a little tempermental, so I use it carefully.
Old 08-14-2016, 04:54 PM
shadow993
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Knock on wood.

Over 6 years of ownership and replaced one $15 part on the shade.

Just keep it lubed with the right type of grease and check for debris.
Old 08-15-2016, 08:45 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,554 Likes on 1,097 Posts

Sounds like one should only buy one that works perfectly and if you are not inclined to become personally involved in sorting out issues at some point during your future ownership you should avoid it.
Old 08-15-2016, 12:57 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

I always find these threads funny because there are a lot of opinions about the Targa from people who have never owned one or even driven one.

I had one for 9 years, both road driven and tracked, and I had no problems "keeping up" to the coupe boys. The mythical "upper weight bias" is non-existent for the vast majority of the owners. I personally have lifted the top off the car, and it's not as heavy as everyone thinks.

Think of it this way - the side and rear windows are very close to the same weight on the coupe and targa, so that is a wash. So really we are comparing the weight of the glass insert to the weight of the steel roof/motors (since the driver motors for the targa are not in the roof, but on the rear shelf). In fact, remember on each sunroof car you have the sliding roof, roof liner and motor mechanism sitting as high as you can go, and their overall weight is not that much different.

The targa extra weight is from a few factors, like the body is stiffened (it is a cab body after all), the wheels are heavy (and should be replaced if you want performance), and some weight difference due to the roof and mechanism.

I bet if the roof is retracted, the center of gravity on the Targa may be lower than the coupe since you cannot retract that steel top. .

The downside to me is the complexity of the roof, and the chances of rust. The front seal is not as tight as you think, that there are a few very delicate sheet metal tabs in there. As a check, look at the seal on the door right where it seals against that large rubber seal going across the roof. I have noticed lately some a few Targas have a with slight red staining on that seal, that means water is getting past the seal and corrosion is on its way. Very small sample size though.

Cheers,

Mike

Quick Reply: Is the 993 Targa OK to Purchase ..good or bad