Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Ticket for 110 MPH. Any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2003, 01:10 PM
TTJunkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Ticket for 110 MPH. Any ideas?

I'm pretty sure I wasn't going anywhere near that fast. But I don't know how fast I was going. Is there any argument that has shown merit in court? Are there any other tactics I should consider?
Old 10-18-2003, 01:42 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Have you received any other speeding tickets in the last two years? I'm not sure of California laws but, here in Maryland, you can have your record expunged for free if you've been a good boy for two years or more. It may be a case of closing the barn after the horses have bolted, but see if you can get the expungment, which may take several weeks to approve. Mail in the ticket telling the court that you want a trial, and postpone the trial for as long as you can until your expungment has gone through.

Once you go to court with your clean record, you can plead whatever you want to the judge and emphasize that your record is spotless and that you'd like to keep it that way. Supposedly, when he or she pulls up your record and there are no prior tickets, the judge may give you probation before judgment or only make you pay the fine without points.

I am not a lawyer, but (knock on wood) I have flown with impunity for about fifteen years with this method and have avoided receiving points for all of those years, despite having been nailed with about half a dozen tickets. The only time that plan didn't work is for a ticket I got in Charlotte, NC, many miles from my home, a personal crisis having prevented me from zipping down to NC to fight the charge. Points didn't transfer but the violation did, requiring me to wait two full years before I could clear my record.

Oh, buy a Valentine One.
Old 10-18-2003, 02:44 PM
tchanson
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What does the ticket say? Is it possible to avoid a court appearance?

I also cannot speak as to specific California provisions, but I believe in many states, once you are into triple digit speeds (or anything over 95 in many states) you no longer have the option of traffic school or other methods to avoid a court appearance, (or to just plead guilty and avoid the conviction on your record) regardless of your prior driving record. Delay as long as possible, but I would guess there's a judge in your future, one way or another if the ticket was actually written (and presumably verified/clocked via radar or laser) at that speed.

Of more concern would be the impact a conviction for 110 will have on your insurance costs. That could really hurt.

I would think that retaining an attorney with experience with these kind of tickets would be money well spent, one who would go down the usual paths of attempting to verify the gun accuracy/calibration, operator training, etc.

Good luck,
Tim
Old 10-18-2003, 03:09 PM
Temple
Addict
Rennlist Member

You might want to check out Ticket Assassin . I haven't used it personally, but it looks useful.
Old 10-18-2003, 03:15 PM
SoCal Mike
Addict
Rennlist Member

TT, this is a definite time for professional help. Start asking around but you need a lawyer that specializes in this stuff. I got a ticket for 66mph in 55 zone, Big Rig speed limit. I went into court to plead my case and was only successful in reducing my fine. Got the point. I was later told by my nephew who is on track to be a CHP that a lawyer could have save me that point! I understand that they are not that expensive to retain for such cases. Best of luck.........and slow down
Old 10-18-2003, 05:38 PM
Rohan Nath
Racer

get a lawyer and request deferred adjudication if you can. pay the fine. don't pick up another ticket for 6 mo and you are OK.

realize that i'm talking with my texas state laws hat on. CA might be different....
Old 10-18-2003, 07:58 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Yeah, try ticket assasin. Thats what im using to deal with my CA ticket. I was nailed with an "illegal" speed trap though. I live in D.C., no way i can appear. So ticket assasin has shown me how to deal with it through written trial. Very cool, we have yet to see what happens though!
Old 10-18-2003, 10:27 PM
993Widebody
Racer

Definitely get a lawyer that has a good track record with speeding tickets. It doesn't matter the cost, because you will pay much, much more in fines and insurance increases for a ticket of that nature. I got nabbed going 106 and a good lawyer got me 4 points instead of 12 and a license suspension since they add on a wreckless driving ticket anytime you are going that far over the limit. Although I didn't get off scotch free, it could have been much worse. Good Luck.
Old 10-19-2003, 12:34 AM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry feel you pain!!!!

i was nailed 1am coming back from newport hittin' well over 100 on an empty highway... but the officer liked 993's & my attitude so was only written up for 85mph (just allowing me to do traffic school)----------I WAS LUCKY!

but i heard from a dealer/service writer of a 996'er who was arrested, got a 1yr. suspended lic. & some community service as well as some high fines for exceeding 45mph over the posted (surface streets) ---- was actually treated worse than a DUI! (so... in relationship to you tix... maybe it could have been worse?)

GOOD LUCK ON GETTING IT OFF YOUR RECORD... do you know a CHiPer?---- some tix have been lost, etc... if not i'd get an attyn & see what they can do.

i've been pretty-good since hearing that one... the track seems more the place for serious speed.

it's tough to mantain though esp. coming back from vegas etc... n e e d t o f i g h t t h e u r g e !!! ----- the only low of having a p-car that screams for mo' )
Old 10-19-2003, 01:38 AM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

TTJunkie,

What was the posted speed limit where you were nabbed? In CA, anything over 20 mph over the posted limited is 'reckless driving' and traffic school is not an option to dismiss the ticket from your records.

I just got one coming home from Sacramento on Highway 5. Two lane freeway, posted limit 70 mph. I passed a truck and went back to the right lane, cruising at 75-80. Two miles later, a CHP pulls behind me and flashed his lights. He asked me if I was in a hurry. I said 'you're behind me and did you see me speed?" He said no, but the traffic plane clocked me at 92 mph and sent him after me. However, he tailed me for 1.5 miles and I was ok. He went on the radio and talked to the officers in the plane. They insisted that they had clocked me over the limit. So he had no choice but to ticket me. But he said he'd only write it for 85 mph so I can still go to trafic school.

If your ticket shows 110 mph, that's serious business. I know people send to jail and car impounded when clocked at that speed. I think it's saver for you to talk to a lawyer.

Good luck.

CP
Old 10-19-2003, 01:43 AM
DrZ
Racer

There is another self help beat a CA ticket site which is actually free. Check out HELPIGOTATICKET.COM My circumstance was not as bad (65 in a 40) but I won the trial by declaration using their forms and strategy.

Credit to Dan who first posted about the site several monts ago.
Old 10-19-2003, 11:08 AM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

No advice on the ticket other than good luck and I hope it turns out ok.

My advice is for the future (preventive) - get yourself to the track so you can get the speed out of your system. I find that since starting my track time, my street driving has definately gotten slower and less aggressive.
Old 10-19-2003, 04:22 PM
PK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by CP
TTJunkie,

What was the posted speed limit where you were nabbed? In CA, anything over 20 mph over the posted limited is 'reckless driving' and traffic school is not an option to dismiss the ticket from your records.

CP
I was nabbed on a midnight run about 18 months ago on I-5 South (posted speed: 65MPH) going well over 100MPH. The CHP officer wrote me up at 95MPH and send me on my way to traffic school....no point & no record. Not that I'm complaining but just want somebody to clarify the 20mph over the limit rule.
Old 10-20-2003, 01:31 AM
mlincoln
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Excessive speed

Hello,

I'm sorry, but I think that you have probably driven 110 mph one too many times, and now you've been justly caught. The fine and the increased insurance cost will remind you to drive responsibly, and save the excessive speed for that trip to Germany (where road conditions and driver training are regulated to allow such speeds) or a trip to Road Atlanta. Just my opinion....

Mike Lincoln MD
ps--yes, I sometimes have to fix up people who have suffered from crashes with road idiots...in the USA, everyone thinks _they're_ the safe and professional driver.
Old 10-20-2003, 04:51 PM
Dan in Florida
Addict
Rennlist Member

Good luck with the ticket. I'd suggest that you deal with the urge to speed by getting into your local PCA DE program. For starters, they'll teach you how to handle those speeds 1] safely, and 2] on the track, where you should be at that speed, at least in this country. lf it turns out that you're really good at high speed driving, you might be able to get into club racing in the PCA or a similar organization.

Quick Reply: Ticket for 110 MPH. Any ideas?