Sponsored by:

Car pulls

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2003, 02:49 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jo,

I am glad that helped. I feel that 32/34 is the best starting point for best handling, but is a bit low to maximize protecting your wheels if you drive rough roads. If the roads are bad, then you could add 2-3 psi at each end without compromising handling very much. (In fact, if you don't do much spirited driving to get the tires fully warmed, that may be a better cold pressure for handling.)

The reason that swappnig tires can change things is that tires are not precision made. There are belts that overlap and shift in the manufacturing process. No two tires are alike and they will often have a bit of pull in them. Also, you could look at and swap the rear tires as well. They can cause a side thrust.

A bit more toe-in will help stability, but at the expense of a crisp feeling turn-in. I am sure Steve will add to this.
Old 10-19-2003, 05:08 PM
joc4s
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mark

I see what you mean about the tires likely to be slightly different. Will try the extra pressure and swapping the rears.

Just noticed your Radical is built here in Peterborough only a couple of miles from where I live. Perhaps I can be of assistance to you one day - I could go to the factory on your behalf. You have a bed for the night at my place if you ever visit the factory - I can then repay your help with a beer or two.

Jo
Old 10-20-2003, 12:12 PM
joc4s
Advanced

Steve

Mark thought you might have something to add since your last posting???

Regards - Jo
Old 10-20-2003, 01:14 PM
maurice97C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by joc4s

Apparently, the first alignment technician had difficulty in bringing the left rear camber and kinetic toe within spec (originally the car was out of spec on nearly every count).

Jo, this is the bit that worries me! A 14,000 mile car shouldn't have this sort of issue - unlikely to be wear, so being the left side perhaps points to thumping a kerb farly hard (easily done on a wide body). If one or more control arms got bent, they would have to adjust a lot as described, but the dynamic suspension geometry will not be correct. I'd be doing some careful inspection with straight-edges, comparing side to side.....

Have you spoken with the previous owner?

HTH, cheers, Maurice
Old 10-20-2003, 01:21 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

I am currently experincing the exact same problem with my P-zeros on Fikses. Same thing, car pulls to the right like Charlton Heston and the steering wheel is canted 5 degrees. I took the car to Mike Schatz for a complete alignment, and it was not cured. He suggested that I had a tire problem. I then swapped my wheels out to the stock wheels with Kumho R compunds, and STILL have the same problem.
Car goes back in Wednesday for further investigation.
Old 10-20-2003, 06:14 PM
joc4s
Advanced

Scott

Have you tried swapping front tires side to side? See previous postings.

Jo

Quick Reply: Car pulls