Figured out the rear wing problems - Emergency tip

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2003, 10:52 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 278 Likes on 139 Posts
Wink Figured out the rear wing problems - Emergency tip

I took a look at the underside of my stuck rear wing tonight. The moving gears section is hidden on the driver side under a plastic shield of sorts that is very easy to remove (2 screws, 4 tabs). Here's a view of the guts:

The drive mechanism seemed fine to me. The microswitches on the mechanism still clicked and the metal bars pushing them (hardly visible on the picture but you'll see them when you look for real) operated fine.

Following Robin's advice, I checked the voltage at the connector (on the other side of the wing, no visible here) and got juice. I also checked at the motor by unplugging the wire marked "voltage" on the photo. Juice there too !

That kinda left the motor or the drive gears, eh ? I unplugged the cable driving the wing from the motor, as you can see above it is a square male plug, and unbolted the motor. While there - that's the emergency tip - all you need to do if your wing dies and you want it up or down, is unplug the cable from the motor, and rotate that square tip sticking out of the cable. It is obviously easier to lower it than raise it, but both can be achieved with 2 fingers ! So that ruled out the gears ! I raised my wing in 2 minutes of turning the thingie...

I plugged the motor to the battery - direct - (hopefully it's the same voltage but who cares, it's the culprit anyway) and it just made a contact noise but no movement. I inserted a square type allen key in the motor where the cable normally goes, and turned by hand, it crunched a bit and seemed freer. Replugged it to the battery - bzzzzzz, it ran again !! I inverted the voltage an it ran backwards too, for all of 2 seconds, then crunched again and this time seems dead for good ! No big loss, it was already dead to me anyway... Too bad the motor cannot be opened, it seems molded in one piece. I wonder what this tiny little thing costs at the dealer, probably its weight in gold !

FYI: #964.624.111.00
Or Sachs part # 06 2500 001 101

Overall it's a pretty simple system, if I can get a replacement that works, I will write up a DIY later ! Now off calling the stealer (eh, dealer) and if need be dismantlers !!!

Greg.
Old 10-16-2003, 11:04 PM
max911
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 53 Posts

i looked up the Porsche number in the price book- $213
good luck with the fix
max
Old 10-16-2003, 11:14 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Oh, great ! Looked like a $60 part but I guess not ;-) Pelican has it for close to $300, so I guess the dealer wins this time ! Thanks !
Old 10-16-2003, 11:29 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Greg
If you can wait for mail order, try Sunset Porsche (1.800.346.0182) for 15% over dealer cost. Worth a call.
Old 10-16-2003, 11:57 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking is your car trying to tell you...

greg d.------------->

$200. for a new motor... or do you think your beautiful p-car is requesting a new tail-MOD ??? (in it's own special way)
-kiddin' aside, let us know how the diy repair works out... & thx for the pics.

later,
rich
Old 10-16-2003, 11:58 PM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Greg -

Hows your wing sound going up and down? If noisy, you may want to check out the rear spoiler drive gear DIY on P-car.com. You're half way there and it's an easy job. I took mine apart and found a bad bearing. I replaced the bearing and put a lot more grease on the worm gears than they did at the factory and now I can't even hear the wing going up or down.

Greg H.

Last edited by Greg H.; 10-17-2003 at 02:01 AM.
Old 10-17-2003, 12:22 AM
max911
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 53 Posts

i maybe should have mentioned that my price book is 10 months old...not sure of price changes with the weaker US dollar. max
Old 10-17-2003, 01:55 AM
GratefulJED
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some like it up - some like it down. I unplugged mine to keep it down because IMHO that tail is big butt ugly as it ruins the beautiful lines of our cars! You could probably find the whole shebang on ebay for the same price as the part...BTW - I have noticed no increase in temp running down and I probably could not tell in the handling dept because I am always trying to break my big butt loose and I don't travel 150 very much.
Old 10-17-2003, 10:08 AM
David in Chicago
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greg:

Great pics, great explanation - thank you for this.

Did you give Bozo the week off?

Regards to all.
Old 10-17-2003, 10:40 AM
Rezal
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greg,

I don't know how often the motors go bad but you might want to try a Porsche salvage yard (LA Porsche, DC Automotive, etc.). Esp. since the labor for such a DIY (appears) to be minimal. Thanks for the pic. Perhaps your DIY will be worthy of a p-car mention.
Old 10-17-2003, 10:43 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Salvage yard is a good idea. Try Joe at PAP 706-867-8800

He is in Georgia so is closer. And you can bargain the price with him.
Old 10-17-2003, 10:58 AM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

>$200. for a new motor... or do you think your beautiful p-car is requesting a new tail-MOD ??? (in it's own special way)

Don't think I did not think of that... The day after I showed my wife a picture of an RS and told her "this is how I want it to look", too ! But as much as I LOVE the RS look, my love is concentrated on the front splitters and wheels, the tail I am only so-so about and it's super expensive once primed and painted! (Gert or MA Shaw). Plus it's weight in the back ! I have to say I am a sucker for moveable tails too, I loved my old Corrado for that reason as well ;-)

>Hows your wing sound going up and down? If noisy, you may want to check out

Well, turning it by hand, it is super quiet, goes down super easy, up is a bit harder due to gravity but it sounds OK. I'll check the DIY on P-car anyway...

>I have noticed no increase in temp running down and I probably could not tell in the handling

Me neither. I drove home tail down and did the usual 90/100 mph and could not tell any difference. I am sure it's another story at 140 though, and that was freeway - i.e. straight line ! I stuck it up for now until I resolve this just in case !

>Did you give Bozo the week off?

Temporarily ! I am thinking that despite my diagnostics, it will turn out that the new $200+ motor will not fix the problem ! That'd be typical Bozo ! ;-)
Then again, there is power at the motor, the wing can be raised manually, so it SHOULD be the motor -esp following my little test forcing it to turn which temporarily made it work (or maybe I burned it out)!

>you might want to try a Porsche salvage yard

I already left info at Parts Heaven, I might try others. Gotta think though, my motor died after 8+ years of service. Even if I buy one from a wrecked 98, it'd better be a hell of a good deal to be worth trying, because it's probably got a finite life too (2y younger than mine) ! Iam definitely thinking about a mod to make it go up and down less (up at 70), like they sell in Germany... I hit 50 in town all the time (legally I might add)
Old 10-17-2003, 04:07 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Dealer says $307.24

Parts heaven (new) $213

No dismantler I called had a used one, either... plus it seems to me I might as well pay $200 for a new one rather than $100 for an unknown one...

Still, ouch ! it'll be a week or so beofre I get it so in the meantime I will lube and check the other end of the cable mechanism.

Just posting this so the thread is complete for future searches ;-)

Quick Reply: Figured out the rear wing problems - Emergency tip