Sponsored by:

Short Shifter Installation

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005 | 01:56 PM
Alon
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Racer944
Chris;

Alon Gat did a similar mod but used washers to replace the rubber... seemed to work out well for him. I would think a not too stiff urethane "puck" of some sort would be ideal and the best of both worlds...

Let us know if you make it, I will take one!

Eric
Eric is right. I removed the rubber isolator and replaced it with enough washers to equal the distance created by the rubber (and its movement) at center of "play" front to back. This has caused no shifting or vibration issues. Unless you feel that positive and direct shifting are bad qualities of a shifter mechanism, I highly reccommed the mod.

Easy mod to do yourself and you'll never look back. I saved myself the $350 USD for that RS rod as well. By the way, this was done in conjunction with an RS shifter and fork as well as the RS shift ****/boot. It's glorious.
Old 10-30-2005 | 09:30 AM
David 23
Burning Brakes

Bob, I found your past post about the install on the TT board, but there is no photo. If you still have the photo of the dimpling could you post it again or email it to me? I am still a little unclear about the RS shift rod, whether it is needed for the 4S, or I use the stock one, or simply replace the rubber with metal on the stock one.

Quick Reply: Short Shifter Installation