Sponsored by:

993 died while driving, now won't start

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 09:54 AM
Endoman
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by KNS
I'm assuming this is the same thing as the crankshaft position senor (AKA reference sensor)? Part No 996 606 105 00.
Yes replaced by local OPC along with bracket as it was seized in. After a couple of hours cooling down it would start and run for 15 mins or so. Luckily it died 400yds from dealer and 3 guys from the showroom pushed on the forecourt for me.
Old 05-21-2016, 11:01 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

First of all, hello from Bend.....

Secondly, if I'd have seen this post a couple of days ago, I'd have offered you up a relay to test-I've got an extra, or maybe 2. Have you swapped it out yet?

Thirdly, did I see your car parked in the lot of a shop on Empire a couple of weeks ago? I saw it when I headed out to do some stuff-had no plates on it-but later my wife and I drove by and it was gone. Looked like Slate Gray, but can't remember if it had the tail.
Old 05-24-2016, 02:06 PM
emissary
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default UPDATE: 5/24/2016

So I installed the new DME relay, and now I can get the car to start, but it will die shortly there after. It will run for somewhere between 1 second and 60 seconds (the longer times are if I give the engine some consistent mild revs), but eventually it dies with a solid check engine light. Sometimes the engine will sputter a bit while running, and the check engine light will come one while sputtering, and then disappear as the engine resumes normal operation.

I am getting some mild white smoke and a fuel odor when starting the car repeatedly and trying to get it to stay running.

The DME relay definitely plays some sort of role, as when I go back and install the prior relay, I am unable to get the car started; both of the new relays that I purchased produce the behavior above.

Anyone have any more ideas before I send it to the shop? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by emissary; 05-24-2016 at 02:09 PM. Reason: More info
Old 05-24-2016, 02:08 PM
emissary
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
First of all, hello from Bend.....

Secondly, if I'd have seen this post a couple of days ago, I'd have offered you up a relay to test-I've got an extra, or maybe 2. Have you swapped it out yet?

Thirdly, did I see your car parked in the lot of a shop on Empire a couple of weeks ago? I saw it when I headed out to do some stuff-had no plates on it-but later my wife and I drove by and it was gone. Looked like Slate Gray, but can't remember if it had the tail.
Hi Ed! It's great to see someone else from Bend on here. I have swapped out the relay, which per my post above allows me to get the car started, but it still dies. That was my car that you saw in front of German Master Tech on Empire; based on how things are going, you will likely see it back there in a few days... It is Slate Gray with a number of RS additions.
Old 05-24-2016, 02:51 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

I'd go for the low hanging fruit first. The MAF could be an issue-dirty? And, I'd look at O2 sensor.

When I first got my car several years ago, I took it on a 60 mile trip up I-5, and it got some wicked hesitation all of a sudden-it stumbled a bit, and had a big time delay in coming on power when I gave it gas. At steady R's, it was "ok". I really didn't think I'd make it home running. Pulled the MAF for a cleaning and put in a new O2 sensor, and a new fuel filter, and it was cured.

I've got a Bosch Hammer, that I've not used yet. It MAY be able to point to a fault, but I'm not sure if it goes to all of those extremes. Depending on your schedule, I'm home this week-we could give it a go. It's going to most likely be more useful on '95/OBD1. I see you have a chip, so you're either '95, or '97/later?
Old 05-24-2016, 06:34 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 699 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by JM993
almost certainly a fuel delivery problem. if it's not the DME relay, test the fuel pump and fuel pressure.
And to be certain, he should test for spark after it dies to eliminate that aspect.

Then a simple and easy fuel pressure test.

Less guessing, more testing.

I can't see all DME relays being bad if they are new. Of course he can also use jumpers.
Old 07-05-2016, 11:09 AM
TJ993
Banned

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
Default UPDATE ?

How goes it with the Recovery >?
Did u find the Solution / Issue ?
TJ
Old 07-05-2016, 08:09 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 166 Likes on 111 Posts

Here is a long shot:

I'd make certain that the car(s) have had the factory wiring harness recall service, if applicable. I doubt there are many? that have not... but if in doubt I'd check into this.

My '95 993 died years ago and I tried a variety of relays. Then an expert local shop suggested that I check the harness. What I found was breathtaking. As an example, the insulation on the large gauge alternator ground and positive wires was nearly gone. I tried to cut and splice myriad compromised wires so I could drive the car while deciding what to do. After I finished, I gave the harness a tug and the car tried to start.

I have a friend that is the #1 tech at a local dealer (likely one of the best in the US; and also former head of the PCA Tech crew). He helped me get PMNA to replace the harness. A few months later, the official recall process started.

Likely all affected cars have been addressed, but I'd make sure that this is not the issue on any early car with symptoms like these.
Old 07-06-2016, 01:48 AM
jdjones2010
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TJ993
How goes it with the Recovery >?
Did u find the Solution / Issue ?
TJ
^^^^This, Hopefully you have some good news! GL
Old 07-07-2016, 09:27 AM
tom97c4s
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would be nice to know the answer to this mystery? What was the problem?

Quick Reply: 993 died while driving, now won't start