Sponsored by:

New purchase - '96 C4S...and a question

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 12:34 PM
HAC
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New purchase - '96 C4S...and a question

My wife was pleased to have Intercity show up during lunch on Mother's Day. Very happy with the purchase so far and greatly appreciate all of the knowledge on RL - it helps answer questions and increases my neuroses all at the same time.

Quick question: from my PPI, I have two lazy O2 sensors but I can't figure out from my searching on which side they are located. Fault codes (22 and 23) are described as being before and after the cat. I'll likely change all four sensors but just curious..

Name:  993.jpg
Views: 629
Size:  325.1 KB
Old 05-11-2016, 12:41 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 466 Likes on 279 Posts

Congrats on the new purchase!

Last edited by P-daddy; 05-11-2016 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Read too quickly
Old 05-11-2016, 12:55 PM
waizone
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Nice purchase.
Old 05-11-2016, 02:04 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,509 Likes on 1,065 Posts

Lazy meaning slow to heat up into operating range?
The 993 has four oxygen sensors. The sensors measure oxygen content before and after the two catalytic converters and are integral to the emissions and mixture adjustment functions of the engine. They only work properly when heated up. Over time they accumulate deposits that slows the time it takes to warm into their operating range. After X number of start-ups where the time to heat was in excesses of Y seconds the OBDC system will light the check engine light and present an oxygen sensor slow to respond code. Not very surprisingly, this seems to happen to most owners in the fall when the weather is a little cooler and the sensor warm up period is extended by a few seconds. The fix involves simply clearing the code and seeing if it comes back any time soon. Think of the money you will save by not unnecessarily replacing all four of your sensors over several years. At some point you may receive an OBD Code indicating the sensor is dead. At this point it needs to be replaced. My 96’ still has three of its original four sensors and I think I may have had to clear the slow code once or twice in all these years. By the way replacing a sensor in most cases is a very easy DIY job.
Old 05-11-2016, 02:18 PM
HAC
Track Day

Originally Posted by pp000830
The 993 has four oxygen sensors. The sensors measure oxygen content before and after the two catalytic converters and are integral to the emissions and mixture adjustment functions of the engine. They only work properly when heated up. Over time they accumulate deposits that slows the time it takes to warm into their operating range. After X number of start-ups where the time to heat was in excesses of Y seconds the OBDC system will light the check engine light and present an oxygen sensor slow to respond code. Not very surprisingly, this seems to happen to most owners in the fall when the weather is a little cooler and the sensor warm up period is extended by a few seconds. The fix involves simply clearing the code and seeing if it comes back any time soon. Think of the money you will save by not unnecessarily replacing all four of your sensors over several years. At some point you may receive an OBD Code indicating the sensor is dead. At this point it needs to be replaced. My 96’ still has three of its original four sensors and I think I may have had to clear the slow code once or twice in all these years. By the way replacing a sensor in most cases is a very easy DIY job.
Appreciate the feedback. "Ageing" is the precise language that was included in the fault. No CEL at this point and agree that I'll likely replace them when they die or if I can't pass the state inspection (I'll be spending my weekend trying the various drive cycles to get my monitors to ready). Sorry, it wasn't a big deal - I was just wondering if I could tell which sensors - left or right side - were "ageing" based on codes. Thanks for the help!
Old 05-11-2016, 02:30 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pp000830
The fix involves simply clearing the code ...
Really? I wouldn't call clearing a code a "fix" for anything.
Old 05-11-2016, 03:07 PM
fatmike
Three Wheelin'

Received 412 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by HAC
(I'll be spending my weekend trying the various drive cycles to get my monitors to ready).
Congrats on the new ride. Sorry I don't know the answer to your left/right question.

The drive cycle to reset codes is very specific and is published here if you search.

/
Old 05-11-2016, 03:26 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 547 Likes on 399 Posts

Beautiful car, congrats! This thread may prove helpful in pinpointing your problem, but you need more data in be fault codes. http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...placement.html
Old 05-11-2016, 03:38 PM
HAC
Track Day

Originally Posted by Foxman
Beautiful car, congrats! This thread may prove helpful in pinpointing your problem, but you need more data in be fault codes. http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...placement.html
Thanks for the link. I have a scanner showing up tomorrow and will take a look.
Old 05-12-2016, 01:25 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

Congrats on the purchase, you have good taste !

Fault codes (22 and 23) is Ageing of the O2 sensors before and after the Catalytic converter from cylinders 4-6
so it is the two O2 sensors on the passenger side of the car.
here is all the error codes for ref
and the site is full of 993 stuff info

http://www.pcarworkshop.com/images/b...28text%29_.pdf
Old 05-12-2016, 05:16 PM
HAC
Track Day

Originally Posted by geolab

Fault codes (22 and 23) is Ageing of the O2 sensors before and after the Catalytic converter from cylinders 4-6
so it is the two O2 sensors on the passenger side of the car.
here is all the error codes for ref
and the site is full of 993 stuff info
Thank you! Exactly what I needed.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:39 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by HAC

My wife was pleased to have Intercity show up during lunch on Mother's Day.
Beats a bouquet

Congrats - wonderful wife & impressive Porsche

Quick Reply: New purchase - '96 C4S...and a question