Seinfeld's Porsche-haus article

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2003, 09:20 AM
John S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Seinfeld's Porsche-haus article

I've already emailed the Observer saying how I'm actually envious of Seinfeld and that the garage possibly isn't large enough. Let's tell this guy that Porsche's deserve a nice place to rest!

- John

http://www.nyobserver.com/pages/frontpage3.asp
Old 10-14-2003, 09:36 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What an a$shole this guy is! I'm surprised he doesn't get death threats from Seinfeld fans. I saw Jerry perform in July and I've never laughed so hard in my life. He was great - far better than on his show. And is this writer some new guy in town, not used to rich New Yahkers spending ridiculous amounts of money on their toys? He should read "The Nanny Diaries" for some real envy-producing material.
Old 10-14-2003, 10:08 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 346 Posts

Not having too much to do at 5:30AM, I wrote a note to the Editor of The New York Observer. It reads as follows.

I had the opportunity to read the article by Ron Rosenbaum, Seinfeld’s Dumb Porsche-Haus. Ron's bitterness and envy of Seinfeld is not that far from the surface is it. The rule in American is, Ron, make your money (legally), and it won't be done writting in the New York Observer, and then you can spend it anyway you want. New York has many more extravagent examples of excess than a 16 foot wide garage a Porsche nut wants to build in Manhattan. Apparently you cannot relate to Jerry's passion because you may not have an obsession for anything other than Seinfeld's success. Get a life!

M. Schacht
Solana Beach, CA
Porsche owner and Big Seinfeld Fan

I too have seen Seinfeld's road show...simply too funny. Of course you have to like Seinfeld's humor to get the most out of the evening. I also saw the Comedian movie...I liked that as well.
Old 10-14-2003, 10:09 AM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 442 Likes on 241 Posts

That article is a load of rubbish, imho. The NY Observer must be desperate for content...
Old 10-14-2003, 10:27 AM
Rohan Nath
Racer

probably som pinko who cannot deal with capitalism.....
Old 10-14-2003, 12:17 PM
ApexL8
Burning Brakes

Rosenbaum comes right out of the gate stating that he hates Seinfeld, his characters, his work, so I wasn't surprised that the rest of the article was equally negative, and derogatory.

Rosenbaum probably has no love of cars or things mechanical, or even technology itself. Heck, being a New Yorker he may have never even owned a car. I guess maybe you are born with a "car love" gene, he obviously doesn't have one, and to try to explain why someone could admire the beauty, style, grace, and the technical elegance of a particular auto to him would be as impossible as trying to explain why I like chocolate and he doesn't. To me (and to most Rennlisters I would presume) the "love" of cars is on a much lower, visceral level that can't be explained by logic or reason...it doesn't really make sense how I was so moved, at the age of eight, when I saw a brand new Jaguar E-Type in a driveway across the street. I wanted it bad, even though I couldn't even drive for years to come. After all, it was only a car, just transportation, why should it stir longings? There's no explanation, it just evoked (illogical) emotions, Pavlovian drooling, the kind of effect a beautiful woman would have on me later in life.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, even if they are as biased and left wing as Rosenbaum's. He complains about housing shortages in NYC without having the ***** to come right out and say Seinfeld should have donated all that money he spent on his duplex and garage to charity, maybe build a new homeless shelter. Oh, woe is me, Jerry is greedy, he should donate all his possessions to make the world a better place, and go live in a cave somewhere. Do you live in a cave Rosenbaum?

Do you own a piece of art Rosenbaum, or some objet, or memorabilia? Do you own something that has more value than is explainable by the mere sum of it's parts, something you have feelings for even though it is an inanimate object? A Van Gogh painting is only canvas and oil, it shouldn't be worth any more than what I would pay for the same supplies at my local art store, should it? Ever come across the concept of intrinsic worth Rosenbaum? Diamonds and charcoal are virtually identical, but mankind has collectively decided that diamonds are worth more because they are sparkly. "Collectively" is a term Rosenbaum should be familiar with, with his obvious communist leanings.

Rosenbaum, why don't you clean out your apartment of all that stuff you cherish, donate the proceeds to charity, then we'll talk.
Old 10-14-2003, 12:33 PM
Autobahn
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Although I do not think that Seinfeld is funny at all I do like the idea of building a Porsche Haus. If Seinfeld can afford it (and he obviously can) why not let him have his garage??? Some people collect stamps others collect Porsches. BTW I would love to see pics of his collection.
Old 10-14-2003, 12:40 PM
Rolo
Rhymes With Polo
Rennlist Member

Received 1,082 Likes on 641 Posts

Originally posted by ApexL8
Rosenbaum comes right out of the gate stating that he hates Seinfeld, his characters, his work, so I wasn't surprised that the rest of the article was equally negative, and derogatory.

Rosenbaum probably has no love of cars or things mechanical, or even technology itself. Heck, being a New Yorker he may have never even owned a car. I guess maybe you are born with a "car love" gene, he obviously doesn't have one, and to try to explain why someone could admire the beauty, style, grace, and the technical elegance of a particular auto to him would be as impossible as trying to explain why I like chocolate and he doesn't. To me (and to most Rennlisters I would presume) the "love" of cars is on a much lower, visceral level that can't be explained by logic or reason...it doesn't really make sense how I was so moved, at the age of eight, when I saw a brand new Jaguar E-Type in a driveway across the street. I wanted it bad, even though I couldn't even drive for years to come. After all, it was only a car, just transportation, why should it stir longings? There's no explanation, it just evoked (illogical) emotions, Pavlovian drooling, the kind of effect a beautiful woman would have on me later in life.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, even if they are as biased and left wing as Rosenbaum's. He complains about housing shortages in NYC without having the ***** to come right out and say Seinfeld should have donated all that money he spent on his duplex and garage to charity, maybe build a new homeless shelter. Oh, woe is me, Jerry is greedy, he should donate all his possessions to make the world a better place, and go live in a cave somewhere. Do you live in a cave Rosenbaum?

Do you own a piece of art Rosenbaum, or some objet, or memorabilia? Do you own something that has more value than is explainable by the mere sum of it's parts, something you have feelings for even though it is an inanimate object? A Van Gogh painting is only canvas and oil, it shouldn't be worth any more than what I would pay for the same supplies at my local art store, should it? Ever come across the concept of intrinsic worth Rosenbaum? Diamonds and charcoal are virtually identical, but mankind has collectively decided that diamonds are worth more because they are sparkly. "Collectively" is a term Rosenbaum should be familiar with, with his obvious communist leanings.

Rosenbaum, why don't you clean out your apartment of all that stuff you cherish, donate the proceeds to charity, then we'll talk.

Thats not what its about for that nut job. Its about envy and a liberal that can't stand seeing someone who's EARNED the money, spending it on THEMSELVES.

He probably thinks Jerry should spend the cash on some home for the urban outdoorsmen. Or better yet...the "children" Geez these people make me ill.
Old 10-14-2003, 01:11 PM
ApexL8
Burning Brakes

Rolo,
I stopped short of accusing Rosenbaum of jealousy/envy, because I can't say what his emotions are. He may just have a bad case of 'righteous indignation'. This is from an unrelated editorial also in the NYO:
One of the first effects of hatred is the loss of principle. In the presence of the loathed object, all the sacred scruples and tender reservations, all the treasured intellectual honor that felt the stain of inconsistency like a wound, goes down the toilet. Once it becomes your goal to crush the infamy, you will grab any blunt object that comes to hand.
Rosenbaum is full of hate for Seinfeld, and will latch onto any perceived transgression of his like a pit bull on a pork chop. I pity him. Rosenbaum is obviously a left-wing liberal, who would have guessed he would choose journalism as a career so we could all benefit from his lofty wisdom.
Old 10-14-2003, 01:38 PM
Zed.
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 146 Posts

A fine example of pathetic writing talent. Surely the writer isnt gainfully employed by this drivel. Too bad they wasted the paper and ink.
Old 10-14-2003, 01:48 PM
AlgaeHater
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SERENITY NOW!!!!!!!
Old 10-14-2003, 02:12 PM
Pete in DC
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 27 Posts
Default I hope Jerry gets the permits and doesn't have to write it off....

Jerry: You don't even know what a write-off is.

Kramer: Do you?

Jerry: No....

Kramer: But they do...and they're the ones writing it off.
Old 10-14-2003, 02:21 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

He's probably an anti-dentite too.
Old 10-14-2003, 02:27 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Truly appalling....
Old 10-14-2003, 03:13 PM
Rolo
Rhymes With Polo
Rennlist Member

Received 1,082 Likes on 641 Posts
Default Re: I hope Jerry gets the permits and doesn't have to write it off....

Originally posted by Pete in DC
Jerry: You don't even know what a write-off is.

Kramer: Do you?

Jerry: No....

Kramer: But they do...and they're the ones writing it off.

Yadda, yadda, yadda!

Quick Reply: Seinfeld's Porsche-haus article