993 Forum 1995-1998

Convertible latch motor - manual operation

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 04:33 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 707 Likes on 516 Posts
Question Convertible latch motor - manual operation

I have latched my top manually in the past by turning shaft manually with flat head screw driver via access points. Was able to lock right side but the other will not move in any direction when I turn the shaft manually with a screwdriver...

I am trying to latch the motors so they can be synced again to operate with the console switch as I have done before....

The top will not retract to open position either with console switch......

Any ideas, thoughts as to why the shaft manual turning to latch does not work? Broken cog teeth? It was working fine with no unusual sounds of missing teeth, etc...or overworking..........

Thanks for any help.....don't think it has anything to do with micro switches since I am having this manual latch turning issue......

I left my top down for several days and apparently it created this issue?
Old 05-01-2016, 12:27 AM
CerberuskY
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope you get this figured out. As an aside, can you tell me how you synced up? I just manually closed my top, and nothing is working. I may pull the control unit to see if it needs any soldering.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:20 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Haven't been able to get the left driver's side motor to manually close.....never had that happen before........since the car is at my vacation house I will have to wait until next visit in a few weeks to tackle again.....PITA.........it was all working fine......my theory is that I left roof open for more than 2 days and tried to open on uneven surface throwing everything off.........but still can't explain why I can't manually turn the latch to close the roof......right side latch turns in fine to close.........I was hoping that when I closed both sides manually that the system would re-sync electrically as it did twice before....
Old 05-01-2016, 10:29 AM
CerberuskY
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you take the cover off where the latch motors are? I had to do that to get to my right motor to manually latch it.
Old 05-01-2016, 12:02 PM
MielsOnWheels
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I just went through this after getting a new top installed. The microswitches would not trip when the top made contact with the windshield header after the new top was installed. I locked down the top manually using the two access points with a screwdriver, but the top would not re-sync.

The top was working fine for the 4 years I've owned the car prior to getting the new top. I brought it back to the shop that did the work and they were unsure how to fix it. They got the car over to the local Porsche dealer. There's a tech there who has been working on 993s since the beginning.

The top was indeed out of sync and they had to spend some time getting everything back in synchronization. They said it's not unusual for this to happen when a new top is installed because the new top material is tighter than the old stuff and can get things out of alignment.

The upholstery shop covered the $400 bill from the Porsche dealer, so shout out to Ray's Upolstery in Richmond, VA for being stand-up guys, I appreciate them standing behind their work and doing what it took to make it right for me.
Old 05-01-2016, 03:14 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Good job....I can't lock down the left hatch motor manually as I keep turning and nothing happens, even used a low speed drill....have locked it down before no issues.....options...took off cover panel to access..

Remove motor break it open and see if I can make the cam move...it spins when the electricity hits it but no action...either way...other side works manually and with electric....and can lock down...

Also...Top will no longer retract to open position..

Ill have to go to dealer most likely and have them diagnose to see if motor is shot...then I can buy a rebuilt and install myself which I have done in the past...

I will continue to focus on micro switches and see if that works...but looks like I have hit the wall...
Old 05-02-2016, 10:02 AM
993-TJC
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Check for recalls. Mine has an open recall to replace the top lock down motors. You might get lucky at the dealer.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:04 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Did the recall when it first came out and shops are aware........I am going to take it to the shop asap and have it diagnosed as I am sick and tired of playing with it........although u know I'll mess with it one more time)))
Old 07-11-2016, 05:56 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Cool Vertex Automotive Rocks - thanks Leo.........

Cog wheel was broken so manual operation would not work.....shout out to Vertex Automotive and Leo who exchanged it since it was a few weeks past the 2 year guarantee.......

Another reinstallation tip......make sure that when you reconnect with the white female/male multiple prong electrical connector that the motor latch can be out of sync (one side latch motor opens while the other side latch motor closes) if the connector is plugged in backwards , if you will......just reverse the connection and it syncs............

Saved a load of money with this courtesy by Vertex......

Quick Reply: Convertible latch motor - manual operation