Sponsored by:

Any psychiatrists out there? (long)

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2002, 08:05 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Post Any psychiatrists out there? (long)

On another thread, Matt posted:
Originally posted by H20NOO:
<STRONG>I just can't believe how fast I'm running up the mileage on my car!</STRONG>
I believe this is indicative of a common psychiatric problem among the P car owning population. Matt, here's what I think is happening:

There is a seldom discussed and somewhat embarrassing syndrome caused by P car ownership which, when left uncontrolled, has contributed to missed appointments, gas shortages, financial distress, broken marriages, prematurely worn tires and destroyed lives. I'm not sure of the scientific name or the DSM-IV classification, but I call it Porsche Phantom Mileage Syndrome ("PPMS").

I noticed it shortly after getting my 993 & posted an inquiry on the old 993/996 Board. Unfortunately, that was before the archives, so the thread was lost, but from the responses, I discovered it's quite common.

I have frequent episodes, but these are a few I remember.

I went to buy gas one evening about 2 miles from home. On the way home, I decided for reasons I can't explain, to hop on the highway. By the time I returned to the gas station to refill my tank later that evening, there was an extra 90 miles on my odometer. I told my wife I stopped at the hardware store.

I live 1/2 mile from my office. Frequently, and I can't explain why, that trip adds 15-20 miles to my odometer & heats my right front fender. My receptionist asks why I'm smiling when I arrive - I lie about the reason.

Again, I can't explain why, but I sometimes drive past my regular exits and have to take the long, winding way to my destination. I tell people I got lost.

Over time I've learned to better control this behavior, but I still find unexplained mileage on my odometer. I think it's incurable.

BTW, a related problem I've experienced is Porsche Lawn Chair Syndrome ("PLCS"). This is characterized by the afflicted person (me) spending time sitting in a lawn chair (usually in the garage) staring mindlessly at my just waxed P car.

Tell me I'm not alone.

Sorry, it was a slow day.
Old 01-08-2002, 09:21 PM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I pity you people because you're just......LIKE ME!!!!!!!!

Viewing the car late at night is justifiable since you have a work of art in your garage....if you had a Picasso or Van Gogh in the house you'd probably check it out a few times a day (for me the attraction for a painting would probably fade rather quickly, so I'd probably sell the painting for a 993TT...and begin sleeping in the garage next to the car).

And driving all those extra miles ... what a way to bring a smile to the face.
Old 01-08-2002, 09:38 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't have that problem. My odometer is broken and reads high.
It's not me, it's the odometer.
Old 01-08-2002, 09:40 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

You are not alone. I look for excuses to take the "long" way home that involves a very tight, twisty mountain road.

My wife laughs and shakes her head when I pull the wheels to clean all the brake dust off them. She also comes out on a Saturday when I'm working in the garage to see how compulsive I'm being (ie: have I washed it and put another Zaino coat on it).

Tonight I am going home and will explain why the car "needs" to have the transmission regeared using steel syncho's, an LSD added and while we're at it, add a light weight flywheel. (Wish me luck!)
Old 01-08-2002, 10:18 PM
Suwipin
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hahaha... you're definitely not alone Dan

Your post was a really nice one by the way
Old 01-09-2002, 12:40 AM
brandon
Instructor

You guys are really messed up - get a grip. I use my car for practical purposes. Like today, I used it to return some parts at NAPA, and then go get lunch...at Rocky Point Restaurant...near Big Sur. I AM NOT IN DENIAL.
Old 01-09-2002, 12:56 AM
993RS
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I normally start driving with good intentions = get there more or less as the crow flies, then often start taking a "slight" detour and then one thing leads to another and I have to really force myself to go where I really intended to. Great here in Switzerland are all these curvy country roads. When I travel South, I even avoid the Gotthard tunnel, because the old Gotthard pass road (much longer of course) is practically empty and tons of fun...
Old 01-09-2002, 01:21 AM
B-Line home
Racer

I hope when I get my C2S next week I have the same problems...
It's a darn shame though, I live in Florida where even the idea of a nice drive is blurred by long straigt boring roads and horrible traffic.
(who wants to miss an exit when driving on I95!!)
What I wouldn't do for some twisties!!
Upside is, we track all year round!!
Hope to pass you soon!
Old 01-09-2002, 11:18 AM
Curtis - '97 Targa
Racer

You guys are all hopeless!

At least I have a legitimate business purpose for running up the mileage: I really can drive to Atlanta from Tampa faster than I can fly....by the time you add in airport commute, stand in line, stand in line some more, delayed flight, stand in line.....etc.

Just makes business sense to drive....
Old 01-09-2002, 11:35 AM
Mike W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thank god for this post. More then I like to admit I find myself in the garage looking at my 993. Definitly thought I had lost it. Problem is, I am running out of reasons as to what I am doing when my wife "catches" me. Mike W
Old 01-09-2002, 12:29 PM
GratefulJED
Burning Brakes

Any thoughts on Steve Taub Porsche in Santa Monica? They are the originating dealer on my car, and there is a stamp from them in my maintenance book. I was thinking of driving on over there next week to get my oil changed, you know, to keep it all official and everything.
Old 01-09-2002, 12:58 PM
Patricia
Racer

Smile

Not exactly a "detour", but I just had to go to that Rennlist DE event last May at Watkins Glen - so I drove there . . . and back through Minneapolis to visit my son, then why not take the scenic drive home through North Dakota & Montana ? ? ? Did you know that there's a great little county road in North Dakota, almost to the Canadian border - straight for miles, you can see forever, no traffic . . . and some incredible roads in Montana & Idaho? &lt;grin&gt;

Now, if I just figure out how to get Mark D's car . . .

Pat
Old 01-09-2002, 02:50 PM
Tom Pepper
Addict
Rennlist Member

It's true..it's sick--I cannot NOT drive my 993. It's not the odometer-it's me...I can't help myself. I try to cut down, to save the car from the elements and from the cancer of mileage, but I can"t control the powerful urge which overcomes my logic whenever I look at THAT car. I bought it new...82,000 miles ago!!! and I'll surely put another 100,000 miles on it not matter how hard I try to contain myself. Yes I really am a psychiatrist and yes, I am sick; sick at the prospect of someday having to say goodbye to my 993.
Old 01-09-2002, 03:32 PM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Boy do I feel better! I thought my P-car had a problem... As it turns out, it's only ME.

Dan - I'm sure I saw PPMS on my window sticker as a no-cost option... I'll see if I can dig it up.

Last week I convinced my wife I had to drive to Hollister (60 miles round trip) so I could save $.03 a gallon on gasoline. She bought it! (and a few things for herself while I was gone)

Silver Bullet - I too find myself making unexpected detours to the garage. I actually moved the bottled water cooler to the garage so I'd have a valid excuse to see my P-car frequently... It was either that, or move the P-car to the bathroom which was much less practical.

Obsessed? Not me.. Although I don't remember placing my laptop computer on the ground behind my other vehicles in an attempt to make digital recordings of aftermarket exhaust systems. After all, it was simply in response to an inquiry on this board! Justifiable, don'tchathink?

So what's next? I'll have to get back to you later as the movers just arrived. I'm moving to a different office. It may be smaller, further from the restroom and cafeteria, but it's got a terrific view of the parking lot!

MC
Old 01-09-2002, 06:02 PM
Mike in Switzerland
Instructor

I've done Switzerland-Uk-Switzerland four times in the last two years for this reason, - that and the countless "road to nowhere" drives which sees me getting to bed well into the early hours.

One lovely drive was in the middle of summer, a 5:30 start for a meeting in Geneva (I live near Basle). I watched in the side-mirror as the sunrise turned from blue to purple to pink to burnt orange in the flanks of my polar silver C2. On the way back up I watched the sunset do the same......

It's a fascination that I hope doesn't wear off soon.

Time for my medication.......

Quick Reply: Any psychiatrists out there? (long)