Sponsored by:

What's a better investment

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 11:04 AM
Blake Keesee
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's a better investment

So I'm looking to make an investment in the form of a 911, but want to know what you all think, as you are far more knowledgeable than I am about them.

Would it be more lucrative to purchase a base 993, since it's the last air-cooled porsche but still in my price range, or to get a 996 turbo in hopes that its technological advancements will trump its less attractive and slightly more fussy body.

The goal is to keep it for between five and ten years and make a small return on it while having a great car to drive in the summers along independence pass, etc. in Colorado.

Thank you guys in advance.
Old 04-15-2016, 11:17 AM
u7t2p7
Banned

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

This is the technical forum; look for the "investment" section and in fact there is an ROI calculator that allows you to plug in the model, price paid and number of years of ownership and it automatically calculates your return. Good luck
Old 04-15-2016, 11:21 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,269 Likes on 585 Posts

Blake - for the record, there are guys on this forum with far more knowledge than I but I will give you my opinion as a new owner of a 993.
First off, the two cars you are talking about are very very different technology wise and from two different generations. You may all ready know this. The 993? Last of the hand-built, air-cooled, arguably the best looking of the 911's. Definitely potential collector status to some degree, depending on the model and condition, and how much you drive it. Super fun, noisy, dramatic. I liken the air-cooled P0-cars to the american hand built pre-war guitars and mandolins and mechanical watches. The demand keeps strong and the good ones keep rising in price.

The 996 Turbo is an excellent car and a very good buy for what you get but doubtful as an investment. But who knows right as all Porsches seem to be commanding high prices, even the newer ones, that are selling above what people paid for them. Porsche is still a relatively low-volume production company and has done an amazing job of promoting the brand. They are masters of this.

I have owned an 2008 997.1 Turbo and loved it but it lacked something. I picked up a nice 993 from a Rennlister / PCA member this last Feb. I didn't buy it as an investment but more to have a piece of the last of the air-cooled gen. Will it appreciate? Probably but who knows.

In the meantime, good luck with your hunt. You'll get a bunch of opinions, most in favor of the 993 seeing as this is a 993 Forum.
Old 04-15-2016, 11:27 AM
boman993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Blake Keesee
So I'm looking to make an investment in the form of a 911, but want to know what you all think, as you are far more knowledgeable than I am about them.
Blake, you're 5 years too late with your idea! I don't think you'd loose much money owning either model if you bought one today. But based on the cars you're looking at, I highly doubt you'll make a return..lol

Word on the street is that the hype will soon die down and most cars (anything over 20K collector miles) will regulate in value.

You should've bought a widebody 993 with 20K miles for 50-60K in 09-2010. Or a 993Turbo with 50-60K miles for 60K...What an investment that would've been..

Anyway, back to being an enthusiast...
Old 04-15-2016, 11:47 AM
TTKan
Pro

Personally, I think the narrow body cars are still pretty good buys and there is a return to be made in this segment. The wide-body cars are probably at the top of the market and have been for some time. Not that this matters much, but the narrow-body cars are a touch faster . . . but just a touch. Good luck with your search and remember that the search is the fun part!
Old 04-15-2016, 11:56 AM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Step 1 - stop thinking of car as an investment. Invest in more liquid, easier to store, maintance free assets.
Step 2 - drive one or two or three.
Step 3 - decide what you like, buy it and drive it.
Old 04-15-2016, 12:09 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TTKan
Not that this matters much, but the narrow-body cars are a touch faster . . . but just a touch.
yea ok. Maybe when you compare two brand new cars coming from the factory. Given the wheel tire variations, various upgrades, condition of the motor, type of oil etc etc The difference in performance can be the other way around.
Old 04-15-2016, 12:21 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Variations in HP coming from factory engines is FAR greater than any difference in air resistance. You want a faster car? Learn how to drive and lose 60 pounds.
Old 04-15-2016, 01:04 PM
Hilltopper
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Blake - for the record, there are guys on this forum with far more knowledge than I but I will give you my opinion as a new owner of a 993.
First off, the two cars you are talking about are very very different technology wise and from two different generations. You may all ready know this. The 993? Last of the hand-built, air-cooled, arguably the best looking of the 911's. Definitely potential collector status to some degree, depending on the model and condition, and how much you drive it. Super fun, noisy, dramatic. I liken the air-cooled P0-cars to the american hand built pre-war guitars and mandolins and mechanical watches. The demand keeps strong and the good ones keep rising in price.

The 996 Turbo is an excellent car and a very good buy for what you get but doubtful as an investment. But who knows right as all Porsches seem to be commanding high prices, even the newer ones, that are selling above what people paid for them. Porsche is still a relatively low-volume production company and has done an amazing job of promoting the brand. They are masters of this.

I have owned an 2008 997.1 Turbo and loved it but it lacked something. I picked up a nice 993 from a Rennlister / PCA member this last Feb. I didn't buy it as an investment but more to have a piece of the last of the air-cooled gen. Will it appreciate? Probably but who knows.

In the meantime, good luck with your hunt. You'll get a bunch of opinions, most in favor of the 993 seeing as this is a 993 Forum.
As you can see, I own both a 993 and a 997.1. I will never sell the 993, will never consider a 996 and might consider selling the 997 someday.
Old 04-15-2016, 01:27 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

A 2004 996TT is a great buy at current prices and the engine is closer to the 993 than the 996.
Old 04-15-2016, 01:27 PM
TTKan
Pro

Here is an example. I recently purchased a 1997 C2 993, one owner, with some desirable options, including LSD/ABD and turbo twist wheels with 21k original miles. No paint or body work and perfectly maintained. I paid a price that was approximately 50% of what I would have paid for a C2S with the same options. I do not personally believe that over the long run the 2:1 ratio will be maintained. I don't really care because I did not purchase the car as an investment. That said, I felt it was far more likely that I would take a hit on the C2S than the C2 when it was time to sell.
Old 04-15-2016, 01:37 PM
Jabberwocky
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Car as investment? My advice, take the $50k you've earmarked and buy an S&P 500 index fund, reinvest the dividends and forget about it for 20 yrs. Based on a 8% return, you'll have a bit over $200k at the end of that time period to Party with.

If you're asking about driving pleasure, then ask yourself what your preference is: AWD & some turbo boost or natural aspiration and the ability to learn throttle steer. Neither car is guaranteed to appreciate, but either one is a hoot to drive in their own respect. If it was me, I'd try to get a '95 model that has high miles, bore out the 3.6 to a 3.8, put it on a radical diet and go for a RS look.
Old 04-15-2016, 01:40 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
take the $50k you've earmarked and buy an S&P 500 index fund, reinvest the dividends and forget about it for 20 yrs. Based on a 8% return, you'll have a bit over $200k at the end of that time period to Party with.
A guaranteed 8% return?

Ahh, those were the days....
Old 04-15-2016, 01:42 PM
Jabberwocky
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
A guaranteed 8% return?

Ahh, those were the days....
You got that right. Which is why I didn't insert the word "guaranteed".
Old 04-15-2016, 01:48 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Welll, if you buy an S&P 500 index fund, reinvest the dividends and forget about it for 20 yrs and wanna have a bit over $200k at the end of that time period to party with, you'd need to have a guaranteed 8% return.

I guess what I'm saying is, that's a great theory, but ask someone who invested $50K in an S&P index fund 20 years ago and see how it's done. Nowhere near $200K, unfortunately....

Quick Reply: What's a better investment