Sponsored by:

Registering cars out state and insurance

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 03:25 PM
waizone
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Registering cars out state and insurance

For those who register their cars out of state, i.e. keep car in CA but register in NV, what do you do about insurance?
Old 04-12-2016, 05:14 PM
budge96
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 95 Posts

I have kept a vehicle in California for oh 15 years while living most of the year on the opposite coast..
I do however have an address and storage in SoCal so that helps exponentially ! Earlier on I
did use DC plates sometimes after there expiration and because DC does require emissions
at least once every few years it became impossible .
I subsequently have obtained California registration once again... had it initially and instead
of the insurance corresponding to my primary residence it is at the California address and
since I only use it four or five times a year mileage and premium is very low about $250
annually but it's not a Porsche.. Haha hope this helps, Bert
Old 04-13-2016, 12:32 AM
pwhite52
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

As long as you advise the insurance company where the car is "garaged", and if the insurance company is OK with that, the state of registration has little effect. Car insurance policies automatically correct to reflect the laws of the state where a claim occurs. If however you don't tell the insurance company all the facts, they have the right to deny a claim based on the misrepresentation. Usually it isn't a problem but a big claim could bring out a reason for denial. And of course that would be the worst time to find out.

Quick Reply: Registering cars out state and insurance