Sponsored by:

clock

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2002, 01:15 PM
GeoT3
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post clock

just recently noticed that my clock would only run for a while ( 6 - 7 hrs. ) after shutting the car off. but will start again the next time I drive it... any thoughts?
Old 01-07-2002, 05:21 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
George,

There may be an easier way, but this is what I would try first.

With this test you can determine if it is the clock or other electrical issues that is causing the clock to stop.

Next time after the clock have stopped working pull the clock out and connect a voltmeter to wire that goes to pin number 4 (red wire) and 2 (brown wire) in the back of the clock. If you get 12 volt on your volt meter than you have a bad clock, if not post your results back and I will check the schematics and tell you what to check next.
Old 01-07-2002, 07:01 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lightbulb

My own thoughts might be a bad clock, if everything else works OK (car starts fine, you're nor losing radio memory). With the engine running, your operating voltage is about 14V; after you shut it off, it dies to about 12.6V or so. After some time, will slowly drop further but should stay above 12V.

The clock removal/voltage check is a good idea, if you can pull it out. Those instruments seem to be really wedged in there tight in a lot of cases. If you can't pull the clock, and you have access to a voltmeter, might do a voltage check across the battery next time just before you start the car and see how close you are to 12V. If you are below about 12.3V, the battery might be going and a clock with an overly sensitive voltage sensor might be acting up.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of another cause for the clock running (ALWAYS?) OK while driving but dying (ALWAYS?) after several hours of the car being shut off.
Old 01-07-2002, 09:28 PM
GeoT3
Rennlist Member

Thanks Robin and Ray. Will check it out as soon as I get a chance over the weekend...
Old 01-07-2002, 11:55 PM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi George,

If you do disconnect the clock, be careful not to turn on the ignition with the clock removed. Adrian S. says that doing so (starting the self-check) will definitely store an error. Such an error can only be cleared by a hammer/equivalent.

To pull the thread further, be careful to only measure voltage at the pins Robin has specified. Even just taking voltage readings at the wrong pin may log an error--though you should be okay with the ignition off.

I've removed the clock before and never logged an error, but I've always been careful not to turn on the ignition.
Old 01-14-2002, 11:49 AM
GeoT3
Rennlist Member

Robin, Ray & Randall,
The clock stopped working just 3hrs. after a drive this weekend (was stopped before the drive). I immediately check the battery voltage and got a reading of 12.41 volts. I also try to adjust to clock by its toggle switch but the clock did not move...could there be no power to the clock whatsoever or just a dead clock but it seems to work fine after the car starts? I could not remove the clock as it is jammed in there pretty well and did not want to force the issue unless I had to. My radio is keeping it memory after the clock dies. I also turn the ignition on without starting the engine to see if I can adjust the clock but that did not work either.

HELP!
Old 01-14-2002, 12:10 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

George,

At this point you really need to pull the clock out and check the voltage behind there.
Old 01-14-2002, 01:50 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Red face

I'll go along with Robin; the clock is likely the culprit.

What's your voltage with the engine running? Bet it's about 14V.
Old 01-14-2002, 02:00 PM
GeoT3
Rennlist Member

Robin & Ray,
what is the best way to romove these gages?

Ray, yes the battery reading is at 14 volts plus or minus.
Old 01-14-2002, 02:22 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

George,

Here some possible options. Try to pull on other gauges next to the clock to see if they will pull out easier. If that will work, you can push the clock out from behind with your fingers. If not what you will need to do is use a flat screw driver and something to cover the tip of the screw driver so you wouldn't scratch any paint off the gauges when you slip, and use the handle area of another screw driver as leverage and slowly and carefully pry the clock out. It is just stuck in there by ways of the rubber seal's expansion. Work your way all the way around the clock and eventually you will be able to pull the clock out completely.

Quick Reply: clock