chromed wheels weak

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2003, 10:02 PM
mlincoln
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default chromed wheels weak

I had a chromed wheel to which this sort of cracking/failure happened. They had been chromed by a PO and I'd already replaced them with painted boxster twists for summer use, but was still using the chrome (a kind of cheap, flashy look IMO) for winter tires.

Does anyone else use their 993 in winter? I kind of look at it like skiis: you can avoid skiing on them to keep them pristine, but what's the point?
Old 10-10-2003, 11:47 PM
lexpilot
Racer

Mike,
You are absolutely right. Chromed Wheels in Salt Lake City is like lipstick on a pig ! However, here in Oregon we like our cars the same way we like our women. Cheap and Flashy.
Old 10-11-2003, 03:17 AM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Not drive in the winter, winter is the best time to put the top down!
Chrome wheels and all! And with my NA ride hight, if it ever did snow I'm pretty sure I would be OK.

Last edited by fbfisher; 10-11-2003 at 12:10 PM.
Old 10-11-2003, 12:10 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here are some pics of my chromed defective hollow spoke wheels:

http://www.cuberootconsulting.com/gallery/album43

If your wheels are solid spoke and done properly ( which is a HUGE if ), then you'd probably be ok. If they are hollow spokes, then I'd dump them ASAP.

The chroming process reduces the strength of wheels a lot.

You'll noticed in the pictures that piece of metal was the inside of the rim. A huge chunk of metal. Imagine if that broke in a slightly different way while you were going 140 miles/hr. Wouldn't be a pretty sight.
Old 10-11-2003, 12:18 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Jeff,

Why would you consider that defective? OK, maybe a little spot weld so air doesn't leak out, but I think that it would go a long way towards weight reduction.

Got the rod end BTW. They could hold the weight of the entire car, and not work up a sweat. Will be installing today along with a few maintenance items. The A/F monitor did not work. It screws up the ECU signal. I need to get a fuel pressure guage to set the 5 BAR adjustable regulator at the very least. See Ya..

Quick Reply: chromed wheels weak