Trans install problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 02:40 PM
adame993
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans install problems

Hi guys,
Got a problem I think may have an obvious solution but I'm having difficulty finding a previous post on the matter.

In trying to mate the transmission to the motor, I am having difficulty with what I believe is a misalignment of the splines between the clutch plate and the transmission.

Having just gotten the bell housing back from the magicians at California Motorsports, it would stand to reason that things have moved since the engine and trans were together. My question is - assuming my theory is correct - what is the best way to realign these splines?

I can easily get the gearbox back on the studs but there's obviously no wiggle room once it is seated. Can't imagine I'm the first guy to have this problem but given the length of time and money spent to get the gearbox in good order, I really want to do this right.

Appreciate any insight you guys may have and any redirects to previous posts on this.
Old 04-05-2016, 02:47 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi Adam,

I just did this and IIRC, I just wiggled the differential output flanges as i brought them together and the splines lined up easily.

Also, I used masking tape to hold up the shift fork. The duct tape maybe hard to get out when done.

That did California Motorsports charge?
Old 04-05-2016, 03:15 PM
adame993
Intermediate

And just like that - BAM!

Vince - many thanks!

Now onto bleeding the clutch and a handful of other small things before the motor goes back in the car!

This is all very exciting. Having bought the car in 2013, driven it 80 miles before the bell housing failure ...this has been a very long time coming. She hasn't moved under her own power since then. Here's hoping the week ends with on a very happy air cooled note.
Old 04-05-2016, 03:54 PM
adame993
Intermediate

Also - as to your question of cost, I'm not entirely sure. I had the bell housing broken down by a shop here in the Dallas area.

They shipped it out and back for the repair and I paid Mayo performance for everything. I know what my invoice was from them but I do not know the exact answer to your question.

I cannot speak highly enough about both shops though. It was not cheap but they both did fantastic work.
Old 04-05-2016, 05:20 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Grab the output flanges together and turn them together forward and back as you wiggle the transmission forward, it will help rotate the input shaft into place.

Also, have you put a little lube on the input shaft?
Old 04-05-2016, 05:21 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

^ Ooops didn't refresh, glad they are together.
Old 04-05-2016, 08:26 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Bleeding the clutch was strange. If you are pressurizing the system, you have to fill the reservoir until it almost over flows, otherwise it sucks air.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:45 AM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Hi Adam, I remember you and your car from the original DFW Fister soundoff! I was lucky to see it in one of those 80 miles I guess! Hopefully you'll have her back on the road shortly.

On the clutch, I bled mine with the motive twice. Once dry, once wet. Wet was infinitely easier and well worth the additional work of cleaning up of the motive afterwards. Bleed the brakes at the same time for additional labor payoff. Good luck!
Old 04-06-2016, 11:35 AM
adame993
Intermediate

Thanks for the tip Vince - I'm starting that job now.

JB - I remember meeting you as well and I greatly value additional labor payoff. Excellent call! So far I've spent considerable effort getting very short distances with tremendous difficulty(see Rear Main seal, trying to replace lover valve cover gaskets without removing heat exchangers, seized fuel filter fitting, et al).

As to the outcome of that soundoff - my Fister II's arrived just over a week ago. I knew that day that this was a must and I am VERY eager to hear the new sound.

Back to the garage. I'll follow up with updates.

As we all know - there is no glory without suffering.
Old 04-06-2016, 02:58 PM
willus
Instructor

Glad to hear Kate is close to being back on the road. Keep us posted!
Old 04-06-2016, 11:11 PM
adame993
Intermediate

Thanks Will! I've followed along with the Soda Blasting and Zinc Plating. Very cool stuff.

Sadly, I made no progress on the clutch today. Turns out the power bleeding tools I needed were not readily available off the shelf. Having seen other have success with the Motive Power Bleeder, I ordered one this afternoon, hopefully to arrive Friday.

In the interim, I think I'll focus on getting the engine in place. I'd much rather bleed the clutch with it out but you've gotta make hay while the sun shines. Once in, I've got to pull the manifolds and heat exchangers to complete the lower valve gasket job. I decided to go that route once it became clear those obstructed bolts were in no mood to come out. Heeding the advice of many on this board and hopefully saving some hassle overall.

Given my lack of progress today, I think I'll switch mugs for tomorrow morning's pot of coffee. This one just feels more appropriate.

Old 04-07-2016, 03:16 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by adame993

In the interim, I think I'll focus on getting the engine in place. I'd much rather bleed the clutch with it out but you've gotta make hay while the sun shines. Once in, I've got to pull the manifolds and heat exchangers to complete the lower valve gasket job. I decided to go that route once it became clear those obstructed bolts were in no mood to come out. Heeding the advice of many on this board and hopefully saving some hassle overall.

Given my lack of progress today, I think I'll switch mugs for tomorrow morning's pot of coffee. This one just feels more appropriate.
Why did you not do this with the engine out?
Old 04-07-2016, 06:47 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by adame993
Thanks Will! I've followed along with the Soda Blasting and Zinc Plating. Very cool stuff.

Sadly, I made no progress on the clutch today. Turns out the power bleeding tools I needed were not readily available off the shelf. Having seen other have success with the Motive Power Bleeder, I ordered one this afternoon, hopefully to arrive Friday.

At your local home improvement store, you can do the same as a Motive Power bleeder with a hand held sprayer, some tubing and small brass fittings...Smaller is better with regards to the sprayer.

Truth be told, I have a power bleeder and it works great, but I had not seen the hand held sprayer suggestion, till 1.5 yrs later

As Vince implied; much better/easier to bleed the clutch prior to installing the motor. The bigger your hands and forearms, the greater the difficulty, once installed in the car!

HTH
Old 04-07-2016, 11:05 PM
adame993
Intermediate

The lift I used obstructed the manifolds. Far from ideal but I was able to button everything up today.

Now I'll start to hook everything and bleed the systems when my equipment arrives.

This may ultimately be a good learning experience as my rotors are all pretty heavily oxidized, as one might expect. The car hasn't travelled more than 100 miles in the last 3+ years. I realize this may be surface rust but in case they need to be swapped, at least now I'll know how to bleed the system.

Live and learn.

Quick Reply: Trans install problems