Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2003, 10:24 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Any Rennlist-ers in Hong Kong

Fellow Rennlist-ers,

I'm in Hong Kong through Monday morning and was wanting to try to touch base with anyone in Hong Kong to get any recommendations on things to do or places to eat.

If anyone is interested in a drink either Friday, Saturday or Sunday evenings - drinks are on me!!

Thanks.
Old 10-09-2003, 10:57 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts

Dear Rick,

I'm not in Hong Kong, but I grew up there. I don't know where you are staying, but all the major tourists attraction are along the stations of MTR (mass transit railway). Major tourists center at station of Tsimshatsui, Admiralty, Central District and Causeway Bay. At these 4 stations, you will find high-end shopping, dining and pubs, etc. Most shopping and dining places close very late at around 10 to 11 pm daily, pubs even later obviously. At stations of Mongkok, Yaumati, and Jordan, the shopping and dining are more economical and for the low to middle class local people. You can really experience the crowded and noisy environment of local citizens. Beware that people may not speak English here. There are way too many restaurants and I have no particular one to recommend. But if there is a long lineup there, then it must be a good one.
You can take a tram ride in Hong Kong Island as it takes you from one end to the other end of the island. Sit upstairs on the tram to get a good view.
The only one Porsche dealer is in Causeway Bay, but it is not much different than any dealer here.
Happy touring and give us feedback when you're back.
Old 10-10-2003, 01:04 AM
red targa
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Rick,

Not in HK, but been there many times. Too many good restaurants to recommend, so the best is to ask at your hotel concierge. However, I do recommend that you go to the Penisula Hotel in Kowloon. Go to their bar called Felix on the 7th floor in the evening. It's a nice place with excellent view and ambience, and be sure to check out the bathroom, the design is quite impressive.

Enjoy your stay
Old 10-10-2003, 12:53 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rick - weather this weekend looks like it will be drizzly so it may cramp your sightseeing. if you're looking to do the touristy thing then you should go to the Peak, see the Giant Buddha on Lamma, go shopping in Stanley market, ride the harbor ferry at night and go to the night markets in Kowloon. also, I believe they are still doing a fireworks works show on the harbourfront on Sat nights. if you have the time having a nice seafood lunch up in Sai Kung or take a ferry to one of the old fishing villages on the outlying islands. If you're looking for nightlife Wanchai is where all the sketchy girly bars are but IMO is not worth going to; drinks and bars are much better in Lan Kwai Fong ("LKF").

Places to eat: I would recommend City Hall for dim sum - it's next to the Queens ferry pier. Also Ye Shanghai is good for Shanghainese chinese food (it's at the Pacific Place mall), and Yellow Door Kitchen is excellent for Szechwan food with a local touch (close to LKF but you'll have to ask the hotel for directions as its a local place).

Quick Reply: Any Rennlist-ers in Hong Kong