Sponsored by:

Darn squeaky brakes!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2002, 12:47 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Robert Henriksen:
<strong>How new/old are your rotors? That's the only other thing I can think of, mine are pretty near death.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Replaced the rotors last summer - in July I think. Probably 9k miles. Never made a squeek. I switch when at the track though, do you track yours?

E. J.
Old 02-19-2002, 01:54 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

62K miles on my '95 993 and NO brake squeal - well, with street pads. By "street pads" I mean either factory Textar or aftermarket Metalmasters. This is even with all the OE 'anti-squeal' garbage removed from the brakes (shim on the steel brake pad backing plate and the little "suction cups" on each brake piston). Never had to "bevel" the pad edges - brake are totally quiet. As I remember, am on my third (or fourth?) set of front rotors and second set of rears.

For track pads I run Performance Friction 90 compound pads; on the street they squeal like a stuck pig. I apply the CRC anti-squeal compound to them when I install them before hitting the track. This makes them tolerable on the drive to the track, but I scare the wits out of every toll attendant on the drive home.

Do an archive check, this has been discussed several times before.
Old 02-19-2002, 03:18 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by E. J.:
<strong>

Replaced the rotors last summer - in July I think. Probably 9k miles. Never made a squeek. I switch when at the track though, do you track yours?

E. J.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I just use the Ferodo pads street and track, no switching. The front rotors have all the original 49,000 miles on them, including ~15+ track weekends. Like I said, long in the tooth

Quick Reply: Darn squeaky brakes!