Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with Porsche trickle charger please...

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2002, 09:36 AM
McCulla
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Help with Porsche trickle charger please...

I bought a new Porsche Charge-O-Mat for my C4S and am having a tough time keeping it in contact electrically in the lighter socket. The plug seems not quite able to make intimate contact with the socket. If I jiggle or move it around the contact occurs but it almost seems to work itself out of contact over a short time. I know there are ways to wire it directly to the battery, but I prefer to use the lighter socket. Any ideas? TIA
Old 01-05-2002, 12:32 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have one that fits fine but other adapters do not fit. What I do is wind duct tape around the plug, above the side contacts. One or two wraps ae enough to give you a tight fit.
Old 01-05-2002, 03:11 PM
McCulla
Pro

Mark, Thanks! I'm on my way to the garage to do it right now. Great tip.
Old 01-05-2002, 06:28 PM
okindao
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dont expect the red light to constantly be on at the wall unit. I also thought that mine was not making contact but found that if I locked or unlocked the doors thereby cuasing a drain on the battery) the charging light would come on. I had expected it to always be lit when in operation. not the case
dennis 97 993 Cab
Old 01-05-2002, 08:58 PM
993Widebody
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by okindao:
<STRONG>Dont expect the red light to constantly be on at the wall unit. I also thought that mine was not making contact but found that if I locked or unlocked the doors thereby cuasing a drain on the battery) the charging light would come on. I had expected it to always be lit when in operation. not the case
dennis 97 993 Cab</STRONG>
That's correct. You may be mistaken, if you are going by the red light. The red light is only lit when the charger detects a drop in voltage, therefore over an extended period it will go on and off automatically.
Old 01-06-2002, 01:07 PM
McCulla
Pro

Thanks for the continued suggestions and info. I too have noticed that the charge drop will change the red light on status, I'm probably being over vigilant but have added the duct tape adapter for a better contact!

Quick Reply: Help with Porsche trickle charger please...