993 Forum 1995-1998

RS Cams?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 07:28 AM
AZ Targa
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RS Cams?

So the motor is coming out of the 95' first thing next week. I would like to add more aggressive cams while I'm in there. I am looking at the Euro RS cams from Web Camshafts because it works with the hydraulic lifters. I would also replace the valve springs and retainers with AASCO products (unless anyone can point me in a better direction). replacing the chip with one of steve's chips and might be going to and RS clutch and LWFW.

In the near future I am looking at highflow cats and depending on how it sounds with the motor sound mufflers, maybe some fister II's
Despite the hatred on the forum, I'm looking at adding a cone filter later on...

welcome any input and suggestions, let me know what you would suggest.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:35 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by AZ Targa
So the motor is coming out of the 95' first thing next week. I would like to add more aggressive cams while I'm in there. I am looking at the Euro RS cams from Web Camshafts because it works with the hydraulic lifters. I would also replace the valve springs and retainers with AASCO products (unless anyone can point me in a better direction). replacing the chip with one of steve's chips and might be going to and RS clutch and LWFW.

In the near future I am looking at highflow cats and depending on how it sounds with the motor sound mufflers, maybe some fister II's
Despite the hatred on the forum, I'm looking at adding a cone filter later on...

welcome any input and suggestions, let me know what you would suggest.
All but the cone filter are small but decent chnges, Send the heads to Steve Weiner for guides and rebuild while you are in there
Old 03-08-2016, 09:07 AM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 30 Posts

Just sayin'

http://www.fvd.de/de/en/Porsche-0/91...3_-_320HP.html

And

http://www.fvd.de/de/en/Porsche-0/91...-Englanti.html
Old 03-08-2016, 10:53 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
Send the heads to Steve Weiner for guides and rebuild while you are in there
And all of his other correct advice.

What's the end game? Understand the full 3.8 he did for the previous owner on the faux RS cost 2/3 or what a driver 993 goes for today, yet delivers an even 300HP on his dyno.
Old 03-08-2016, 11:53 AM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
And all of his other correct advice. What's the end game? Understand the full 3.8 he did for the previous owner on the faux RS cost 2/3 or what a driver 993 goes for today, yet delivers an even 300HP on his dyno.
That is interesting. I assumed it would produce more.

I am leaning towards a regear for a little real world performance bump when I take the engine/Trans out.

--Michael
Old 03-08-2016, 12:57 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by XavierLaFlamme
That is interesting. I assumed it would produce more.
Nominally, a 3.8 RS spec motor makes 300-310 HP; one can make a lot more, however that requires wholesale replacement of intake & exhaust to do so and thus non OBD-II compliant.

I am leaning towards a regear for a little real world performance bump when I take the engine/Trans out.
Thats always a good thing to do!
Old 03-08-2016, 06:05 PM
AZ Targa
Pro

What would changing the valves do for me, assuming that they are ok?
Old 03-08-2016, 06:39 PM
AZ Targa
Pro

Originally Posted by race911
And all of his other correct advice.

What's the end game? Understand the full 3.8 he did for the previous owner on the faux RS cost 2/3 or what a driver 993 goes for today, yet delivers an even 300HP on his dyno.
I'm just looking for some extra power, I'm not tracking this car any time soon. The end goal is to have something like an Jack Olson car "one car to do it all" the idea sounds appealing to me. For now, I would just like something a bit more zippy, it would be more for the visceral experience of driving through the back roads.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:27 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Spending money on engine power upgrades is expensive and yields very little. I would send the heads to Steve to do his magic and then send him the tranny for a regear. A proper regear will feel like you've added about 50 hp to the car while at the same time producing a wonderful driving experience. Best bang for the buck by far in my opinion.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:35 PM
doc_porsche
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

sounds like you're looking for a regear. No experience here, but Steve is the Man if that's your route.
Old 03-08-2016, 11:22 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

As I've mentioned numerous times, the 3.8 PLUS the regear in the faux RS certainly wake up the car. But it's all of a 2-3 MPH bump on a pull like Thunderhill exit T15-entry T1 (~122 --> 125 MPH).

Just getting back from the AZ trip, and driving 3K miles in the 996 Turbo in all its 550HP "Ruf stuff added" glory, I honestly don't know how we get along with mere normally aspirated 993s of any kind. I can't count the number of times I hit 60-to-(redacted) to fight through traffic.
Old 03-08-2016, 11:48 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

I'm just looking for some extra power, I'm not tracking this car any time soon. The end goal is to have something like an Jack Olson car "one car to do it all" the idea sounds appealing to me. For now, I would just like something a bit more zippy, it would be more for the visceral experience of driving through the back roads.
Good software will improve throttle response and pick up some power for you so I would not overlook doing that as its not particularly expensive for the '95 model.

Most people are pretty happy with the changes.
Old 03-09-2016, 03:07 PM
AZ Targa
Pro

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Good software will improve throttle response and pick up some power for you so I would not overlook doing that as its not particularly expensive for the '95 model.

Most people are pretty happy with the changes.
Yes, I am planing on buying one from 911chips.com
Old 03-09-2016, 03:25 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 30 Posts

What would changing the valves do for me, assuming that they are ok?
Sorry, meant to link this:

http://www.fvd.de/de/en/Porsche-0/-/...-Englanti.html
Old 03-09-2016, 03:50 PM
AZ Targa
Pro

Thanks Josh!

Quick Reply: RS Cams?