Sponsored by:

Need tire model and sizing advice for C2S

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 12:34 AM
mmporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need tire model and sizing advice for C2S

I am new to the 993 world but not to Porsche. I have owned a number of 911s and have raced for 15 years. My question to the community is what is the best street tire, cost no object, for a 1998 993 C2S. I have the factory hollow spoke wheels in stock size. Not sure how wide they are to be honest. I also have questions about sizing. Tire Rack shows a 225 in the front and a 285 rear. I am having a fairly aggressive alignment added and will have the car lowered to a nice stance with reasonable negative camber (no aftermarket suspension bits so nothing outside the range possible with factory suspension). I am running Bilstein HD shocks and recently added a cup LSD. This will NOT be a track car, rather I plan to use it for spirited canyon drives, date nights with the wife, etc. I want something that will handle really well but also be quiet. I typically like Michelin and have my eyes on PS2s but want to make sure I am making a good choice. So please let me know the best sizes, if not factory and brand and model of tires you like and why. Thank you!
Old 03-03-2016, 01:32 AM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

If $ aren't a concern then I think your spot on with PS2 in factory sizes (225/285). I'm sure many would agree the Supersports would be preferred but no sizing.

If you do a quick search you'll see many favour the Sumis and their biggest highlight is value. Hankooks are also popular although I don't think they are available in factory sizes. 235/295 is also a good option for these brands given they are slimmer tires overall.

I've heard good things about the Bridgestone RE11s but yet to try them myself.

Congrats on the 2S!
Old 03-03-2016, 01:36 AM
quacktoduck
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

weather and conditions you drive in are factors. if all you want is performance and you drive when the weather is above say 65 degrees and dry. I personally like the toyo R888 (not very good in rain) and is a street legal race tire.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:47 AM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

I would consider the Conti DW (not DWS) given your criteria. Tire Rack rates them better than PS2. At some point a new Michelin PS4 will be released in the states but no information on sizes, etc.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=140

Another test against additional tires.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=190

If you want something more aggressive the Bridgestone RE-11 has gotten good reviews.

BTW do you go to Cars and Coffee in Lafayette? First Saturday every month. Should be nice weather this coming Saturday.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:16 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I use RE 11 as rain tire on the track. They are good in rain and very fast in dry conditions.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:29 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by quacktoduck
weather and conditions you drive in are factors. if all you want is performance and you drive when the weather is above say 65 degrees and dry. I personally like the toyo R888 (not very good in rain) and is a street legal race tire.
Overkill for a street driven car, I can also imagine they are not quiet like OP wants.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:39 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I've had Bridgestones S04 for close to 3 years (sprirted street, track, rain). I'm not sure how they compare to PS2s, but they are excellent in rain and decent on track (read: perfectly fine for street). They provide good audible feedback so you know if you starting to push them but they hold on. The sidewalls are very stiff, I punctured and then blew a tire; and then drove for another 15min (another story) - the tire was still on without any rim damage.

Btw, if you are lowering the car, you will have plenty of negative camber in the back by default so the inside sides of the rear tires will go first and rather quickly. So start checking them after 5k miles.

Quick Reply: Need tire model and sizing advice for C2S