Sponsored by:

HELP !!!!!!!!! Front shaft seal on trans

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 03:34 PM
ricks993
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP !!!!!!!!! Front shaft seal on trans

Well this is the first time I got bad information on this form. I posted how to remove the front shaft seal and was told that there is a backing on the housing and there is no way when trying to remove the seal you can push it into the trans. Guess what I pushed my seal into the trans housing (there is no backer to stop seal from pushing into the trans)
So my question:
1) Can I leave the old seal in the trans or will it cause a problem
2) If I have to, how can I remove the seal ???? Is it hard to open the front of the trans ––remove axel mounts on trans, then the differential, then the front of trans housing to remove the seal
Attached Images   
Old 02-27-2016, 06:56 PM
ricks993
Racer

Can Anyone help me with this???
Old 02-27-2016, 07:55 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 560 Likes on 378 Posts

Can you make a very thin wire hook and fish it out?

Cannot leave it in there.
Old 02-27-2016, 08:32 PM
Vorsicht
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

How about a small seal puller? Do you have anything with a metal hook on it? Maybe a small pair of needle nose pliers? Maybe something like this would work:

Last edited by Vorsicht; 02-27-2016 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Added Picture
Old 02-27-2016, 09:42 PM
ricks993
Racer

Tried everything cant get the seal out from the front. I pulled the side cover and can see the seal but there is no room to cut it to remove

Has Anyone removed the differential, that would give me the room I need. Can I just pull the flange on the other side then remove the differential????
Old 02-27-2016, 09:52 PM
redlightrich
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts

If you can work the seal until it "splits" and is no longer a circle, you may be able to then pull it out. I realize there is very little room to work with, but the seal seems to already started splitting ( based on my limited view of the first pix).

Please be careful, because if you make a blemish on the input shaft, the new seal will also leak. I can't imagine a pick working unless there is a hold drilled thru the seal face to grab it. Otherwise, there is not enough room.

No you can't leave it in there. It may create havoc. The extra time disassembling the trans will be worth it now. If you damage the input shaft, you will be out time and parts. Right now, you only need gaskets. I would imagine there may be better room to work thru the diff opening, but I am not certain.

Be careful, good luck.
Old 02-27-2016, 10:02 PM
ricks993
Racer

It looks like I have to remove the differential to get to the seal. anyone done this???
Old 02-28-2016, 10:33 AM
Holytin
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Maybe at this point you should weight your options and consider getting advice from an reputable transmission shop. You keep doing what you are trying to do and permanent damage might be the result, and you end up contacting a tranny shop anyway. You are aware of "Murphy's law"..

Maybe you have enough miles on this transmission and this tranny needs additional work you are not aware of..? Just saying...

I would take this option under consideration since these transmissions are getting hard to find. No idea how much it will cost to repair or replace an input shaft but I bet it won't be cheap...

Good luck!

Last edited by Holytin; 02-28-2016 at 10:36 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-28-2016, 12:13 PM
ricks993
Racer

I am surprised no one has been able to give me any advice on this with all the expertise that is on this forum. I have 1 person that has messaged me with advice.
Well for everyone else who might find themselves in this position here is what I found. First I do not see how it would be a problem leaving the old seal on the shaft as you can see there is nothing that it will interfere with.
I did not know that before I took the next step in opening up the differential. If I knew how easy it is to remove the differential it would have saved me hours of trying to fish out the old seal, again I am surprised no one has removed a differential, or anyone that has would post that it is an easy process.
After removing the differential it was very easy removing the old seal, you can see the new seal installed in the pic.
So if anyone else with little transmission experience has the misfortune of pushing the old seal into the trans when trying to remove there is an easy solution!!
Attached Images    
Old 02-28-2016, 01:51 PM
L23FPorsche
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Good timing to replace the drive seals as well.
Old 02-28-2016, 07:51 PM
Holytin
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ricks993
I am surprised no one has been able to give me any advice on this with all the expertise that is on this forum. I have 1 person that has messaged me with advice.
Well for everyone else who might find themselves in this position here is what I found. First I do not see how it would be a problem leaving the old seal on the shaft as you can see there is nothing that it will interfere with.
I did not know that before I took the next step in opening up the differential. If I knew how easy it is to remove the differential it would have saved me hours of trying to fish out the old seal, again I am surprised no one has removed a differential, or anyone that has would post that it is an easy process.
After removing the differential it was very easy removing the old seal, you can see the new seal installed in the pic.
So if anyone else with little transmission experience has the misfortune of pushing the old seal into the trans when trying to remove there is an easy solution!!
First, congrats! Second, I don't know if I would have had the guts to just open this tranny without any prior exposure. Maybe same applies to others that's why you got so little feedback?
Old 02-28-2016, 08:00 PM
Vorsicht
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Wow, Great Job! Now we all know what to do when we confront this same situation. Bravo!

Quick Reply: HELP !!!!!!!!! Front shaft seal on trans