Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Any RL Members Need a Center Tail Light Section?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 12:02 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 237 Posts
Default Any RL Members Need a Center Tail Light Section?

Part Number 993-631-130-00. I replaced mine with new because there was a small chip out of the RH back up light lens area. There is a photo below of the chip but it is hard to see. My car is a 1997 C2.

Otherwise this used center section is in like new shape.

Funny, the new part (Suncoast $398.00) has a lamp (red of course) that lights up inboard of the backup light red when the gear selector is in reverse and the backup lights are on. The socket is there in the old part but no wiring to it. Must have been a change later on after 1997.

Any RL member is welcome to this part as long as they reimburse me for the shipping costs.

My direct email is michael.capocefalo@gmail.com or PM me here.
Attached Images   
Old 02-26-2016, 12:18 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

pm sent.
Old 02-26-2016, 12:22 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Joe,

Rec'd your pm. Email me your address when you can and I'll try and ship it out Monday.

Mike
Old 02-26-2016, 12:28 PM
phoneyman
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ah man, 20 minutes too late!. Thats a really nice offer by you Mike.

I broke the left tab on mine the first time I removed the rear lights stupidly.
Old 02-26-2016, 12:59 PM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by mike cap
Funny, the new part (Suncoast $398.00) has a lamp (red of course) that lights up inboard of the backup light red when the gear selector is in reverse and the backup lights are on. The socket is there in the old part but no wiring to it. Must have been a change later on after 1997. .
Interesting. You mean your new parts lights up the rear fog lights when the car is in reverse gear?
Old 02-26-2016, 01:12 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jlaa
Interesting. You mean your new parts lights up the rear fog lights when the car is in reverse gear?
Yes exactly. The sections just inboard of the backup light white lens on my old center section have provisions for lamps - the holes and sockets but no wiring.

Now on the new center section these are wired and light up bright red when the car goes in reverse and the while backup light comes on. Actually a pretty nice high visibility feature.
Old 02-26-2016, 01:39 PM
JM993
Banned

Joe,

Rec'd your pm. Email me your address when you can and I'll try and ship it out Monday.

Mike
Thanks Mike!
Old 02-26-2016, 01:46 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JM993
Thanks Mike!
Sent you a pm. Will ship and advise cost of UPS.
Old 02-26-2016, 01:55 PM
jo-hans
Burning Brakes

Yes exactly. The sections just inboard of the backup light white lens on my old center section have provisions for lamps - the holes and sockets but no wiring.

Now on the new center section these are wired and light up bright red when the car goes in reverse and the while backup light comes on. Actually a pretty nice high visibility feature.
It shouldn't light up when reversing. The reverse should only work on the white backup light. Does the white back up light light up as well? If not the sockets need to be swapped.
The inner most light are the fog lights in European cars. In NA often wired up as extra brake lights. Tore sells the kit to do this upgrade.
But you probably know this.
Old 02-26-2016, 02:02 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jo-hans
It shouldn't light up when reversing. The reverse should only work on the white backup light. Does the white back up light light up as well? If not the sockets need to be swapped.
The inner most light are the fog lights in European cars. In NA often wired up as extra brake lights. Tore sells the kit to do this upgrade.
It works exactly as I've described. Of course the white back up lights turn on when the shifter is placed in reverse.

It's fine with me the way it operates. The brake lights are on the RH and LH outboard wings as you know. There is just one connector for the rear center section.

There is no mystery to the connection and it is hard wired to work this way from Porsche. The inboard sockets (rear fogs?) are on the same circuit as the backup lights.
Old 02-26-2016, 02:05 PM
jo-hans
Burning Brakes

It works exactly as I've described. It's fine with me the way it operates.

There is no mystery to the connection and it is hard wired to work this way from Porsche. The inboard sockets are on the same circuit as the backup lights.
Interesting - that's a new one
Old 02-26-2016, 02:06 PM
Hilltopper
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts

Confirming you received the Euro fog light version that is a simple tap into the left brake light and what I ordered and received from Suncoast. You had the option for the cheaper non Euro/US OEM. Well worth the additional two brake lights and i believe if you do a search, you will find a detailed wire tap install thread. FYI- simple and only needed a single piece of wire from fog light lead to left brake light. Do it!
Old 02-26-2016, 02:15 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hilltopper
Confirming you received the Euro fog light version that is a simple tap into the left brake light and what I ordered and received from Suncoast. You had the option for the cheaper non Euro/US OEM. Well worth the additional two brake lights and i believe if you do a search, you will find a detailed wire tap install thread. FYI- simple and only needed a single piece of wire from fog light lead to left brake light. Do it!
Ha, you're right I think!!

I ordered the # 993-631-130-00. I think my original part number was
# 993-631-140-00.

The PET shows both numbers and I pulled the first one on the list.

Oh well, too late now.
Old 02-26-2016, 02:19 PM
Hilltopper
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts

Thanks and please do the simple brake light tap in! From a Northern Vermonter on the West coast of New England to Northern New Yorker on the other side of the pond. 993/Florida and 997/Vermont.
Old 02-27-2016, 10:29 AM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hilltopper
Thanks and please do the simple brake light tap in! From a Northern Vermonter on the West coast of New England to Northern New Yorker on the other side of the pond. 993/Florida and 997/Vermont.
Thanks for the suggestion. I pulled the center section back off and just removed the lamps from the sockets. With the high third brake light I'm satisfied with the lights when I brake. Still scratching my head how I ordered the Euro version and why P had three in stock in the USA.

I see you have a 997 C4S? Happy with it? I made a deposit yesterday on a 2011 C4S PDK car w 14,000 miles.

Quick Reply: Any RL Members Need a Center Tail Light Section?