993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a car unseen

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2002 | 04:40 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Eric's post reminds me of a very important, but often overlooked source of information about the car; -previous owner(s). I haven't bought a new car in decades, but I've communicated with the previous owners of every car I've purchased. In most cases that can answer many questions and remove much doubt. POs who have already ditched the car, in contrast to current owners, really don't have much to gain by distorting the truth. Consequently, I've found them to be open and honest, and have learned much about the car's history by talking to them. Of course, such contact does not replace a PPI.
Old 10-17-2002 | 09:52 PM
SJM
Track Day

I can recommend two high-end dealers from personal experience - both cars purchased from photos only, guaranteed to be PERFECT, and each was. Both always have a nice inventory of 993s. Chris Courtney @ Premier Sports Cars, Springfield Missouri and Ray Joseph @ RPM Sports Cars, Houston, TX. Neither dealers are inexpensive, but perfect cars should command a good price. My just purchased 97 Carrera 'S' was also a long distance - photo only - buy (Oregon to Virginia) from a PCA and RENNLIST member. Photos and conversation promised a PERFECT car and it was. Being willing (and trusting) to do these long distance deals opens up your field of vision and car choices CONSIDERABLY vice looking just in your back yard. I've done this about 6 or 7 times now from Panteras to Ferraris to Porsches. I am VERY fussy and no disappointments yet. I think it helps too when you limit your choices to the best, low mileage, fully documented examples out there. Go boldly forward and good luck!

Quick Reply: Buying a car unseen