993 Forum 1995-1998

Immobilizer warning light flashes

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 08:58 PM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Immobilizer warning light flashes

Today while driving, I noticed a red indicator light flashing. Got home and pulled out the car's user manual to find it is the Immobilizer Status Display. This is flashing while the engine is running. The manual says "Cause of fault must be rectified by an authorized Porsche dealer".

I did a search of this forum and read a bunch of threads, but did not find any DIY solutions for this. Does anyone know how to diagnose/fix this? I really don't want to go to the dealer. These cars are getting old and finding a knowledgeable expert is getting very difficult.

I did get a CEL light earlier in the drive. I have the Durametric Diagnostic tool and will run this tomorrow. I am not sure if this tool will show anything related to this.

Any suggestions, insight, info would be most appreciated!!!!!
Old 02-18-2016, 10:31 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 337 Posts

Mine does this exact same thing about once a year. When it happens, I drive to my destination, park, do whatever it was that I had planned to do, then get back in the car and when I start the car everything is normal. It's never left me stranded or even run differently so I just ignore it. Yeah, it may leave me stranded one day, but there are any number of things on a 993 that can leave one stranded. I'll worry about it when it happens....YRMV
Old 02-18-2016, 11:32 PM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

TMc993 -

So after the 'restart' and everything is normal, does the flashing red indicator go off, at least till the next time the car thinks there is a fault? Hope so, as I don't like the flashing go on, and on...

Thanks for the reply!!!
Old 02-18-2016, 11:45 PM
ginch
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by TMc993
Mine does this exact same thing about once a year. When it happens, I drive to my destination, park, do whatever it was that I had planned to do, then get back in the car and when I start the car everything is normal. It's never left me stranded or even run differently so I just ignore it. Yeah, it may leave me stranded one day, but there are any number of things on a 993 that can leave one stranded. I'll worry about it when it happens....YRMV
My experience has been identical. Mine also does this maybe once a year. I just turn the car off and restart and all is good again!
Old 02-19-2016, 07:06 AM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Same here. Happens once every few months, makes me curse the immobilizer, then goes away.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:28 AM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by mr_bock
TMc993 -

So after the 'restart' and everything is normal, does the flashing red indicator go off, at least till the next time the car thinks there is a fault?
Correct. As confirmed by ginch and Bart1, restarting the engine resets the light on my car. It then goes for anywhere from a year to eighteen months before I see it again.

When the light has come on, it has always been when the engine had been running for a while...Never right at start-up. There is no change in how the car runs when the light is blinking.

I have put a generic reader on the OBD II port twice after it happened and have seen no fault codes.

My thought is that since I can't reproduce it for my technician to see and there are no fault codes, I'll just drive it until it becomes an issue.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:35 AM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Thank Everyone for the input!!! Drive it I will and enjoy the flat 6 music!!!
Old 02-19-2016, 07:50 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Flashing Immobilizer lamps are due to a communications error between the Immobilizer ECU and the DME.

Such issues do not heal themselves, much like a salamander.

One day, the car may not start and you'll need to order flat-bed tow to a shop for resolution. One needs a factory scan tool such as a Hammer or PST-2 to interrogate that system for troubleshooting.

My recommendation would be to deoxidize the connectors (M&F) at the Immobilizer ECU and then treat them with an electrical protectant to help maintain conductivity.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:27 PM
ginch
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 77 Posts

Thanks for the clarification Steve. Would you mind sharing where one might find the Immobilizer ECU? Thanks in advance!

Derek
Old 02-22-2016, 06:25 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Flashing Immobilizer lamps are due to a communications error between the Immobilizer ECU and the DME.

One day, the car may not start and you'll need to order flat-bed tow to a shop for resolution. One needs a factory scan tool such as a Hammer or PST-2 to interrogate that system for troubleshooting.

My recommendation would be to deoxidize the connectors (M&F) at the Immobilizer ECU and then treat them with an electrical protectant to help maintain conductivity.
Great. My paranoia of and hate for the immobilizer grows...
Old 02-23-2016, 06:00 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems

Steve,
Do you have products you use for deoxidize, and an electrical protectant?

Derek,
Immobilizer ctrl unit is under the drivers seat.

http://www.porscherepair.us/porsche-...trol-unit.html

Last edited by nine9six; 02-24-2016 at 01:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Immobilizer warning light flashes