Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Update to the wiring harness issue. (LONG)

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2002, 12:25 PM
Sachin Misra
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Post Another Update to the wiring harness issue. (LONG)

I got an email from Hergesheimer MotorSports that prompted me to post this topic. Additionally, USODT is appying a lot of pressure on Porsche to fix this problem. I recieved a form from USDOT stating that both the dealer and Porsche were notified. (No wonder Porsche jumped in so quickly)

So fire off those letters to Porsche and call Frank Boris at USDOT/NHTSA (1-888-327-4236) to open a case.

[I> Sir,
>
> We are an independent in So. Cal. We have in the past replaced some of these wiring harnesses. We have a car in now that we are performing diagnostics on to evaluate if it is indeed an electrical problem. I have followed all the posts concerning this item since one of our customers Tom Randle first posted it on the board. I remembered your recent post and was curious on the new part number. I contacted our buddy at the dealer and had him research that number and was a bit surprised. He tells me it is listed as a "Wiring harness repair kit" and retails several hundred dollars less than a complete harness. Could you check with your shop and see if indeed you received a complete full harness?($100 vs.$500) Please let me know what you find out.

Thank you very much for your time.

Laura
[/I]

MY response:
Laura,

Thanks for the email.

I did call the dealer. You are right it is a harness repair kit. But, it was used to convert the new harness from a non-varioram harness to a varioram harness (no pn on the harness as it is brand new from the factory).

Accoring to my SA, there is something afoot at Porsche. His adivice to people with the problem was to contact Porsche and let them know of their problem. He thinks there probably will be a general recall on these cars to have the harness updated. I think they might even reimburse owners that had it done already. They did get a PN from Porsche but could not order it on their system as it is not official yet.

Regards,
Sachin
Old 10-16-2002, 01:10 PM
neunelf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Sachin Misra:
<strong>
So fire off those letters to Porsche and call Frank Boris at USDOT/NHTSA (1-888-327-4236) to open a case.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Sachin, Thank you for keeping us abreast of this matter.

I would be very interested in having my wiring harness upgraded to avoid any possible problems but as of now I have not had any indication of an electrical problem.

I don't know how I could help propel the issue of the wiring harness replacement with Mr Boris since I have yet to be affected. If this potential problem is something that could be attended to now then I am all for it. I would hate to have it fall by the wayside only to have the problem arise in my car a few years down the road.

The most important thing now is having those that have had to deal with this issue follow up with Mr Boris via a quick phone call.
Old 10-17-2002, 01:20 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
Sachin,

Thanks for keeping us posted on this issue. I have a late 95, and inspections have revealed no problems, yet.

I have a varioram sitting on my workbench and would like to install it on my 95. Do you have the PN for that harness upgrade? Also, any info about this type of upgrade would be appreciated.

Thanks very much!
Best regards,
Tom

Quick Reply: Another Update to the wiring harness issue. (LONG)