Backfiring on a 993

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2003, 06:08 AM
Waz996
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Backfiring on a 993

Greetings,

Having owned a '99 996 last year, I am considering the purchase of a 1994 993. The decision taken due to financial considerations first and my interest in really owning the mean machine you guys describe being a different kind of experience!

The car is immaculate, arctic silver, 6sp manual, gulf specs which is important for this country, black inner trim with wooden parts (if only jen could send me my pic upload password!).

Though i didnt drive it (was shy to ask the owner to step aside!) the feeling of the 993 was totally exhalirating. It's a go-kart relative to the 996. The engine sound and the tunes the exhausts produce are in no way compared to the 996's.. I did notice a lack of power comparativelt but I dont think i will really need more on UAE roads.

I do have some questions though:

1- The mileage is 130,000km. The engine does not produce any smoke and is hi alive thru the rpm range.. Is this ok for an oil cooled?

2- There seems to be a backfiring bang and lots of crackles when the rpm's go beyond 6k and drop back.. Is this normal? The car had gembella exhaust and later changed to regular exhaust (the gembella trumpets were way to loud!)

3- Is it possible to change the wood trim? to what? at what price?

4- Now this is going to irritate some, but coming from the 996 world, I would like to ask generally: how reliable is this car compared to 996? ouch! pls dont let it hurt!!!

Thanks for any reply,

Wael
Old 10-03-2003, 06:19 AM
Waz996
Burning Brakes

4- What differences came up on the 993's between the years 1994 to 1997? Engine? Trim? Chassis and suspensions?

The car is a C2 btw..

Wael
Old 10-03-2003, 09:33 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Re: Backfiring on a 993

Originally posted by Waz996

2- There seems to be a backfiring bang and lots of crackles when the rpm's go beyond 6k and drop back.. Is this normal? The car had gembella exhaust and later changed to regular exhaust (the gembella trumpets were way to loud!)

3- Is it possible to change the wood trim? to what? at what price?

4- Now this is going to irritate some, but coming from the 996 world, I would like to ask generally: how reliable is this car compared to 996? ouch! pls dont let it hurt!!!
Welcome to the world of the 993!

crackling etc yes its absolutely normal... you should hear how my race car does when I lift with the Supercups on! Absolutely awesome!

The wood trim if you go factory its going to costa ya, more like a couple of thousand USD. In reality the wood trim is stick on to the same panels so you can get some immitation wood stick ons like the ones the sell on ebay for 100 bucks and try them out. If nothing else you did not spend 2 grand for nothing...

Finally the 993 is bullet proof, besides the fact that you need to check if the wiring harness has been replaced with a new one under the official Porsche recall last year. Other than that no major problems , just wear and tear. I cannot compare that with the 996 as I naver owned one but I can tell you that I own 2 993's and both so far have been very reliable...

Good luck!
Old 10-03-2003, 11:12 AM
Waz996
Burning Brakes

Thanks Dan,
Very pleased to read your reply over and over! I think I'm in for a 'ride'! Cant wait!!
Wael
Old 10-04-2003, 07:48 AM
Waz996
Burning Brakes

THIS....

...IS IT!
Old 10-04-2003, 07:51 AM
Waz996
Burning Brakes

..ANOTHER FRONT VIEW

...BUT THIS AINT ME!
Old 10-04-2003, 10:04 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

It looks great!!! Funny thing is that you have the black bumpers like a US model, but it has the 3rd light mounted ontop of the rear windshield instead of the hoop as seen on 1994 models...

Enjoy the ride!
Old 10-04-2003, 01:11 PM
Waz996
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by DJF1
It looks great!!! Funny thing is that you have the black bumpers like a US model, but it has the 3rd light mounted ontop of the rear windshield instead of the hoop as seen on 1994 models...

Enjoy the ride!
- The car's odo is in km/hr.. and it's definitely issued in uae coz the door sticker is certifiying uae standards. Maybe the bumpers are std here?!

- what is the hoop? do you have a picture of it pls?!

Tx!

Wael
Old 10-04-2003, 04:39 PM
Nol, 95 993 C4
Racer

Cool Greetings from Oman

Hi Wael,

The US style bumpers are standard in the Gulf, my Oman car from '95 has them also. I have attached a picture with the US style 3rd brake light in the "basket handle" a hoop like spoiler just above the engine lid. It was dropped after the '95 model (and the US didn't get the 993 in '94)

If you are buying private why don't you ask Juergen at Al Nabooda about the car's history, or take it there for an inspection?

Enjoy

Nol
Attached Images  
Old 10-04-2003, 05:34 PM
Benton
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those don't appear to be stock exhaust tips or a type that clamps on the stock exhaust. Is the car very loud? They appear to be round like supercups. Unless, of course, that is a picture of the car when it had the Gemballa "trumpets" on it. Good luck with the car!
Old 10-04-2003, 06:24 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Though i didn't drive it (was shy to ask the owner to step aside!) ...
Test drive the car. It's a completely different feel than a 996 & you really can't decide your preference w/o a thorough drive. If you're considering a purchase, don't be shy to drive, poke, inspect, question, etc. until you're satisfied.

1- 130,000 km is not excessive, but do make sure the scheduled maintenance has been done. The 96,000 km service is a major/expensive service. Airbags have a scheduled maintenance check at 8 yr. As mentioned, when properly maintained, the 993 is extremely reliable.

2 - Off throttle crackling is OK, backfiring is not.

3- I assume from your post, the car has wood trim which you want to remove. My guess is likely no better than yours about whether you'll need to replace or refinish the applicable trim pieces in vinyl/leather, but I doubt the wood will come off w/o damaging the existing trim.

4- Can't compare 996 v 993 reliability, but I do know the 996 is far more likely to develop coolant leaks - well, actually, I've got a slight lower valve gasket leak, so maybe not
Old 10-05-2003, 01:50 PM
Waz996
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys for the replies...

The car is my business partner's own.. He really wants to sell it coz it's a manual and he wants a tip since he's bothered by changing gears.. (guess it's a matter of taste after all..) He's not had it for long though.. It has had its service last and the wiring harness was changed indeed.. Also, the steering pump (or rack?) was also changed.. Xenons were fitted a few months back.

The tips on this car were the ones on the Gembala's. I think they kept them instead of putting the std tips of the std exhausts that were fitted..

The car has been serviced by Hamman House for over a year now.. So far it has a clean record.. I can say that it is properly maintained.

I guess i will worry about the wood trim if and when i own it..

Dan: 1) what do you think is causing backfire? 2) reliability issue, you said '..cant compare' meaning it is more reliable than 996? I did have overheating pbms in my previous '99 996

Thanks for the replies!

Wael
Old 10-05-2003, 02:03 PM
Georges Rebeiz
Instructor

Wael

I have the same misfire in my 95 993 with stock muffflers, my issue is that the catalytic exhaust has been emptied from the inside..I love the sound though.

cheers
Old 10-05-2003, 04:50 PM
Waz996
Burning Brakes

Georges, i could've guessed u're from lebanon... Kifak ya man!

see, we got this 'tradition' to gutt out the cats as soon as we buy our cars, exactly what i did to my previous Delta HF when i had just bought it!! And yes you get better sounds!

Cheers,

Wael
Old 10-05-2003, 05:00 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wael
The backfire is unburnt gas igniting somewhere aft of the engine (i.e., in the exhaust system). There could be several causes, best diagnosed by a competent shop.

My comment that "can't compare 996 v 993 reliability" meant I have no basis to make a comparison since I've neither owned a 996 nor investigated its reliability. Sorry for the confusion.

Quick Reply: Backfiring on a 993