993 Forum 1995-1998

Value of 993 RS Tribute

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 08:17 PM
Soup
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 29 Posts
Red face Value of 993 RS Tribute

I have a 95 993 C2 RS Tribute (WP0AA2994SS323022) that I hope you guys can help me get a ballpark value of. Apart from a near identical car sold in July 2014, I haven't seen anything comparable at all.

I was originally going to sell my SC and keep this, but with the way the CAD is going, I'm tossing around the idea of selling both and move to a GT3 before our dollar is worth pennies.

6 speed, no accidents with a clean Carfax, and originally a Florida car, it was imported into BC in 2004 and has undergone a ground up, bare-metal, glass-out build into a RS Tribute 2k miles ago. Currently has 80k miles on it and has about 10k of maintenance receipts within the past few years, not including cost of the RS build. Documented top end rebuild at 48k miles as well. There is a mileage discrepancy on it from 1999 where it dropped to 20k miles from 36k the year before, and it's been consistent with the lower 20k miles since. So likely the car has 96k miles on it currently although I wouldn't know for sure.

Ordered from the factory as a Speed Yellow, LSD, and some Porsche Exclusive options example.

Has aftermarket replica RS exterior bits, similar RS treatment to the interior with OEM RS steering wheel, shift ****, radio delete and colour matched belts and Recaro Pole Positions. Engine-wise, it is Steve Wong chipped with OEM sport cats and OEM sport exhaust tips ($1k on Suncoast!). Is near stock otherwise and very healthy with 195-205 psi compression across the board and 5-7% leakdown numbers. Suspension is JRZ RS coilvers with Tarrett Engineering bits and Yoko Advan AD08R tires with aftermarket Speedline RS replica wheels.

I've got it Opticoated and freshly paint corrected and caught up on all maintenance. A near identical car sold for $69.5 back in July 2014 but that had authentic RS wheels and was originally ordered as a sunroof delete model whereas this one has a CF sunroof delete panel when all the bodywork was done. The only blip with this one is there is a 16k mileage discrepancy in 1999 per the Carfax with mileage consistent before and after that, so quite possibly this has 95k miles. Wasn't an issue for me given the condition of the car and the extent and quality of the rebuild, but would affect value on paper.

Given the current 993 market, I presume this would be somewhere in the $62-65 range? Am I silly for selling both my minty aircooleds for a water pumper with a big silly wing???

Last edited by Soup; 02-17-2016 at 12:48 PM.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:29 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 576 Likes on 365 Posts

Are the RS body parts factory parts?
Old 01-21-2016, 08:34 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what a disaster today has been on RL.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:42 PM
Bloose993TT
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 92 Posts

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...s-tribute.html
Old 01-21-2016, 08:58 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 825 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by Soup
Am I silly for selling both my minty aircooleds for a water pumper with a big silly wing???
Not if that is what you want.

Nice car
GLWTS
Old 01-21-2016, 09:17 PM
TJ993
Banned

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Net Connection issue = Delete

see below

Last edited by TJ993; 01-21-2016 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Dbl Post
Old 01-21-2016, 09:18 PM
u7t2p7
Banned

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Soup
I have a 95 993 C2 RS Tribute that I hope the RL brain trust can help me get a ballpark value of.

6 speed, no accidents with a clean Carfax, and originally a Florida car, it was imported into BC in 2004 and has undergone a ground up, bare-metal, glass-out build into a RS Tribute 2k miles ago. Currently has 79k miles on it and has about 10k of maintenance receipts within the past few years, not including cost of the RS build. Documented top end rebuild at 48k miles as well.

Has all the RS exterior bits, similar RS treatment to the interior with OEM RS steering wheel, shift ****, radio delete and colour matched belts and Recaro Pole Positions. Engine-wise, it is Steve Wong chipped with OEM sport cats and OEM sport exhaust tips ($1k on Suncoast!). Is near stock otherwise and very healthy with 195-205 psi compression across the board and 5-7% leakdown numbers. Suspension is JRZ RS coilvers with Tarrett Engineering bits and Yoko Advan AD08R tires with Speedline RS type wheels.

A near identical car sold for $69.5 back in July 2014 but that had authentic RS wheels and was originally ordered as a sunroof delete model whereas this one has a CF sunroof delete panel when all the bodywork was done. The only blip with this one is there is a 16k mileage discrepancy in 1999 per the Carfax with mileage consistent before and after that, so quite possibly this has 95k miles. Wasn't an issue for me given the condition of the car and the extent and quality of the rebuild, but would affect value on paper.

Given the current 993 market, I presume this would be somewhere in the $62-65 range?
Not sure how you make the leap from $69.5k (other RS clone) to $62-65K range for your car. The former example was very well done with not only factory delete sunroof and RS Speedlines but also rear seat delete and several other very nice touches. Using that RS as the benchmark, I'd value your car at $50k. The mods don't really add much value to the car and severely limit the market for the car. The repaint is a "wash" in value. The mileage discrepancy is a bummer however one would have to assume the higher mileage you stated. It obviously has the most value to someone who was planning to do this exact mod and can buy turn key. It's a nice looking car and if priced correctly should sell in a reasonable time...just not north of $55k IMHO.

Here is the ad for that car...http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...-rs-clone.html
Old 01-21-2016, 09:21 PM
TJ993
Banned

I like the GT3
But I hate Dealer Service so perhaps if I had 2 Fulltime cars - maybe I could tolerate a Dealership. I love their charges on parts!

Imagine buying re-labelled / re-Branded parts and paying 3 x what they cost if u look around? Hmm

Others have been in on this debate and alluded to 7 seconds faster per lap...
What is the value of 7 seconds per lap - to you?

I do not care for all of the electronics in cars of today.
Tough Call - Do not want to fix them later on.

I like the Power
I can not use all of the Power in a 993 on the street

Check Out Known Issues - Coolant Pipe - Needs engine pulled apparently
That will not be cheap - not comparable to drilling out sai ports - although u have a 95.

A few have stated to me they are not worth the bother - Comes down to Personal Preference.

You only live once - apparently
997 is a Beautiful car. 997.2 is apparently better -
check their Forum section for feedback

You have a Beautiful car.
Maybe u need a new project?

Motobri has his car 4 sale - have a look - its also 4 sale elsewhere( PM me)

What happens if Porsche comes out with something else with Power and a Stick ???
Down goes the value right>?

Historically 3 or 4 year old cars drop in Value
GT3 Hmmm
Not that I have had this debate going on in my head LOL lately :>)
TJ

Last edited by TJ993; 01-21-2016 at 09:37 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-21-2016, 11:20 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 188 Posts

There are a lot of question marks about your car, some of them being: how was the sunroof delete done, what brakes are on the car, are the RS aero bits OEM or replica, are the wheels OEM Speedlines? JRZs were all the rage 10 years ago but their customer service is poor so nobody uses that suspension anymore. If the car is done properly I wouldn't sell it for anything under $65K and would not listen to low ball offers.

The yellow RS tribute that sold last year for $69.5K sold again a few months ago for $74K IIRC. And yes, it was a factory sunroof delete, but the suspension on that car was track focused and there were some other issues with it.

The main negative about your car is its location. If it's a Canadian car you will have a hard time selling it right now, period. Even if it's a US car imported into Canada bringing it back would still be a pain in the ***.

If you look at '73 RS tributes, RSR, and IROC tributes based on earlier 911s the ones that are done properly fetch top dollar. A 993 RS tribute is a bargain these days. Especially in one of the 5 colors that were offered by the factory.
Old 01-22-2016, 01:48 PM
TJ993
Banned

Originally Posted by ilko
There are a lot of question marks

The main negative about your car is its location. If it's a Canadian car you will have a hard time selling it right now, period. Even if it's a US car imported into Canada bringing it back would still be a pain in the ***.
Hi Ilko
The car was Exported from Florida in 2004. If the Seller has the paperwork. the Florida Title, then the car can easily be Re-Imported back to the USA - that is my Understanding.

Apparently cost is roughly 2% thats under $2,000 for a tax and paperwork.

Next is driving it across a Border. Seattle>?
So other than Logistics and $2000 TAX is there something else I am not aware of >?

As a New Owner I would gladly drive her across a border :>)
Thanks
TJ
Old 01-22-2016, 02:54 PM
996SPECticle
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Check out Mecum listings in Kissimmee, FL this weekend. As I went through the P-Car line up i noticed one that was an RS tribute. I cant pull details or recall right now but it would give another data point.
As for the 2 for 1 = 2 fine cheerleaders or 1 supermodel.
Old 01-22-2016, 08:34 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by TJ993
Hi Ilko
The car was Exported from Florida in 2004. If the Seller has the paperwork. the Florida Title, then the car can easily be Re-Imported back to the USA - that is my Understanding.

Apparently cost is roughly 2% thats under $2,000 for a tax and paperwork.

Next is driving it across a Border. Seattle>?
So other than Logistics and $2000 TAX is there something else I am not aware of >?

As a New Owner I would gladly drive her across a border :>)
Thanks
TJ
A vehicle taken from the United States for non-commercial, private use may be returned duty free by proving to CBP that it was previously owned and registered in the United States. This proof may be a state-issued registration card for the automobile or a bill of sale for the car from a U.S. dealer.

Assuming you have conform to the above, then no duty.

A buyer still needs to deal with getting a PPI and transport. Add to that this is a fairly modded car with a mileage issue and you start to have a small pool of buyers.
Old 01-23-2016, 01:05 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 188 Posts

The import process sounds straight forward on paper but the reality is different. Twice I've been on the verge of buying a US car from Canada in the past 18 months and both times the red tape became too much of a hassle to move forward.

My advice for our friends up north who are looking to sell a car these days is to cross the border and register it in the US. Then it will sell.
Old 01-23-2016, 01:39 PM
switchcars
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 468 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by il pirata
A vehicle taken from the United States for non-commercial, private use may be returned duty free by proving to CBP that it was previously owned and registered in the United States. This proof may be a state-issued registration card for the automobile or a bill of sale for the car from a U.S. dealer.

A buyer still needs to deal with getting a PPI and transport. Add to that this is a fairly modded car with a mileage issue and you start to have a small pool of buyers.
The above exemption is only for an owner bringing their car back to the states.
If a transaction occurs, it's 2.5% duty plus import fees (few hundred bucks).
It's a pretty straightforward process if you have a good customs broker.

Old 01-23-2016, 01:45 PM
TJ993
Banned

Default Re-Importing bak to the US of A

That is the situation here and My Sitiuation as well.

My apologies to "Soup" if offended but I think this needs to be addressed as I have a similar itch GT3 Power
I Exported as well so how difficult can this be>?

I need a new adventure - Open to Travel....
Thanks Tom
Originally Posted by il pirata

Quick Reply: Value of 993 RS Tribute