Sponsored by:

993 Key coding problem Porsche Naples

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 02:49 PM
ricmat68
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 993 Key coding problem Porsche Naples

I ordered a new key from Porsche in Naples, FL for my 1997 993 concertible. They charged me $378 for the key letting me know it would take 3 days before I could pick it up. My wife went to pick it up and not knowing that they needed to code it they just gave it to her and she accepted it. She got to the car and realized it did not work so she went back inside and after a while they told her that it needed coding which would take an hour and she would have to come back another day, how professional is that. The day she came back she had to wait for close to 3 hours. it turned out they did not even manage to code the key properly so we ended up with one key for the ignition and another key for the deactivating the alarm. How pathetic is that? So far I have only dealt with Porsche in Sweden(the past 16 years) and they have always been very professional but the way Porsche in Naples handled this situation with my wife is just embarassing. What a joke. And then we had to pay for the hours for coding as well which no one had told us when ordering the key. I am thinking of getting in touch with Porsche in Germany. This kind of customer service is really below them.
Old 01-19-2016, 04:21 PM
u7t2p7
Banned

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Programming the new FOB/Immobilizer is part science and part art. While it's a PITA to do, the dealer should have someone on staff who is trained properly. If they can't program it properly, I would speak to the manager and insist on a refund or I would not my the credit card bill. I would then proceed to another dealer and make assurances in advance.
Old 01-19-2016, 05:11 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 550 Likes on 347 Posts

While what happened at the Naples dealership is unacceptable, forget about contacting Porsche in Germany. That will be a waste of time and will only delay getting the situation corrected.

Instead, go back to the dealership and speak directly with the service manager (Not the service writer at the front desk). He/she should be able to correct the situation for you.

If it isn't corrected at the dealership level, contact the regional service representative for PCNA and ask him/her to meet you at the dealership and assist you in getting the issue resolved.

Alternately, if you made payments via credit card, simply cancel the payments and return the new key/fob to the dealership and start over with a dealership that knows what they are doing.
Old 01-19-2016, 08:34 PM
stace
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

while for you or I coding the fob is a real pain in the butt... taking numerous attempts - its 5 min for the dealer. When I needed a second key (only got one when purchasing the car) Carrera Motors in Bend, OR took 5 min to program the fob via a computer for free! and I bought the key from Sunset and Sunset wanted a hour's labor charge. I would talk to an owner if you can at Naples Porsche. that's not good service for sure...
Old 01-21-2016, 08:41 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,509 Likes on 1,065 Posts

Search this forum for "programming made easy" for do it yourself instructions.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf

Last edited by pp000830; 01-21-2016 at 11:25 AM.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:46 AM
linen grey ghost
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default welcome to Naples ... ugghhh

OP - Sorry to read of your tribulations at our local boutique dealership, but unfortunately not surprised.

In Naples the adage: "...if you inquire about the price you definitely cannot afford it, nor should you own it" frequently is applied.

Air cooled powerplants arriving at their doorstep elicits two distinct reactions: 1) an outbreak of anxiety hives and 2) dancing money signs as the contemplation of billable hours passes through their brain engrams.

Best advice, speak to fellow local air-cooled owners as to where they take their 993s for service; hint: PCA Everglades chapter has a monthly get-together the first Tuesday evening at Cafe Alfredo at 6 pm.

Lastly, there is another Porsche dealership in Ft. Myers that may be more amenable and knowledgeable to your particular need. Advice given by prior posters (talk to service manager; then upon no satisfactory resolution PCNA regional service rep; then stop payment and let the haggling commence) seems like a good way to proceed.
Old 01-21-2016, 02:19 PM
Bloose993TT
Three Wheelin'

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by linen grey ghost
OP - Sorry to read of your tribulations at our local boutique dealership, but unfortunately not surprised.

In Naples the adage: "...if you inquire about the price you definitely cannot afford it, nor should you own it" frequently is applied.

Air cooled powerplants arriving at their doorstep elicits two distinct reactions: 1) an outbreak of anxiety hives and 2) dancing money signs as the contemplation of billable hours passes through their brain engrams.

Best advice, speak to fellow local air-cooled owners as to where they take their 993s for service; hint: PCA Everglades chapter has a monthly get-together the first Tuesday evening at Cafe Alfredo at 6 pm.

Lastly, there is another Porsche dealership in Ft. Myers that may be more amenable and knowledgeable to your particular need. Advice given by prior posters (talk to service manager; then upon no satisfactory resolution PCNA regional service rep; then stop payment and let the haggling commence) seems like a good way to proceed.
Haha. My old man lives in Naples and I couldn't agree more. I would recommend F1 Motorsport or Eliot's for any repairs/servicing on your 993.

Last edited by Bloose993TT; 01-21-2016 at 02:40 PM.
Old 01-22-2016, 03:12 PM
Vincent C.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=ricmat68;12940411]I ordered a new key from Porsche in Naples, FL for my 1997 993 concertible. They charged me $378 for the key letting me know it would take 3 days before I could pick it up. My wife went to pick it up and not knowing that they needed to code it they just gave it to her and she accepted it. She got to the car and realized it did not work so she went back inside and after a while they told her that it needed coding which would take an hour and she would have to come back another day, how professional is that. The day she came back she had to wait for close to 3 hours. it turned out they did not even manage to code the key properly so we ended up with one key for the ignition and another key for the deactivating the alarm. How pathetic is that? So far I have only dealt with Porsche in Sweden(the past 16 years) and they have always been very professional but the way Porsche in Naples handled this situation with my wife is just embarassing. What a joke. And then we had to pay for the hours for coding as well which no one had told us when ordering the key. I am thinking of getting in touch with Porsche in Germany. This kind of customer service is really below them.[/QUOTE

I own a Porsche repair shop in Pompano Beach, Florida....if no one can help you with this situation, just let me know and I can help....Vinnie@Gulfperformance.com
954-783-7345

Quick Reply: 993 Key coding problem Porsche Naples