Sponsored by:

Fuel additive debate

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2003, 05:33 PM
ecobb993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuel additive debate

Most all agree that Techroline is tops, but what are y'all's thoughts about running it all the time versus only one tank before oil change or ?

JC
Old 09-30-2003, 06:34 PM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

JC,

I was under the impression that I shouldn't use those types of products more than every 4K miles or so. I prefer Jetron and Ventil Sauber.

What would you hope to accomplish by using this type of product more often? I thought their use has not been shown to prevent carbon buildup. Am I wrong?
Old 09-30-2003, 06:48 PM
User 4621
Race Director

Received 614 Likes on 326 Posts

It's Techron, not Techroline. According to Chevron, there is no real benefit in it's use more than every 3K miles.
Old 09-30-2003, 08:22 PM
ecobb993
Racer

The goal is to clean up years of carbon buildup (to avoid recurring CE's for secondary air system failure). Techron (decades ago Chevron called their additive Techroline) says it will "Clean (I presume, carbon and other) deposits from fuel injectors, carburetors, ports, valves and combustion chambers". They go on to say "a second treatment may give additional benefits."

Heck, if a second treatment helps, what's the harm in using it more often. Their lable does not suggest limiting it's use to two treatments (probably because they're selling additive).

So, I'm seeking opinions, based on expert knowledge or experience that supports reasons why it shouldn't be used on an ongoing basis in an engine that is now 8 years old and having already begun to report secondary air system errors.
Old 09-30-2003, 08:58 PM
914und993
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think these products will clean up the fuel injectors and intake valves, but I wonder if they will do anything downstream of the exhaust valve? I kind of doubt it, but I don't know. Which means I also doubt they are likely to do anything about the carbon buildup that causes CEL for the secondary air system.

Chip
Old 09-30-2003, 09:01 PM
User 4621
Race Director

Received 614 Likes on 326 Posts

Trivia: Techron actually has a different formulation than Techroline did.

Based on how the air passages in our engines get clogged, it is highly unlikely that any fuel additive will clean out deposits that are already there. In fact, I haven't heard anyone claim that anything short of physically cleaning the passages will work. I hope I'm wrong about this and someone will contradict me, but I doubt it.

It appears that the only way to deal with the problem is via preventative measures, such as using good gas (and good additives), driving at higher RPM's, not letting the car sit to warm up, etc.

So back to your specific question. No, I do not believe that it will help clear existing deposits from the air passages of a 993 engine. No, it will not hurt your engine to use it all the time, but there doesn't appear to be a benefit to doing so.

From Chevron's web site:

How frequently should a consumer use Techron Concentrate?

If a car is having performance problems as a result of deposit accumulation, a bottle of Techron Concentrate should be added to a tankful of gasoline approximately every 3,000 miles to clean up deposits left by lower quality gasolines.

Do consumers need to use Techron Concentrate if they buy only Chevron gasolines?

If consumers are loyal buyers of exclusively Chevron gasolines, their cars very likely are already delivering their best possible performance and operating at their lowest possible emissions. A bottle of Techron Concentrate, therefore, is not likely to provide any benefits to these consumers. However, if consumers sometimes purchase a lower quality gasoline, they should try Techron Concentrate to quickly restore performance lost by deposit accumulation.
Old 09-30-2003, 09:47 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Pete:

I agree with you wholeheartedly,....

Every 3K with Techron or LubroMoly is sufficient.

There are methods for removing the hard carbon on the valves, piston crowns and combustion chambers but they are not risk free. GM makes an excellent product for that very purpose but I'd not recommend that unless its really necessary.

Although nothing can remove the carbon buildup in the exhaust ports and air injection passsages, the MotorVac process is faster than any additive you put into the gasoline for that purpose.
Old 10-01-2003, 12:24 AM
Randy M '96 Silver 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

My CEL and Techron history FWIW.

I had the P0410 come on. I had it cleared and it came back in 80 miles. I let it stay on for about 600 miles. During that time I put in a bottle of Techron. I had the light cleared again, same code. I then drove it for 800 miles CEL free! The light came on and I drove for another 500 miles and added another bottle of Techron. At that point I had the oil changed and the CEL has been off for 1400 miles (knocking wood!!)

This is not a testimonial that it is actully doing anything, but just my experience.

I always use Chevron Premium and will continue to use the Techron every 3000 miles, I bought 3 bottles on sale!!

Good luck to all the SAI CEL sufferers!! I too feel your pain!
Old 10-01-2003, 06:16 PM
KeithR3
Pro

Do you then change the oil after using the additives/cleaners?
Old 10-01-2003, 06:21 PM
Sachin Misra
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

I haven't seen any Chevron stations in my area. How can I get Techron?
Old 10-01-2003, 06:31 PM
ecobb993
Racer

Techron is sold here in Atlanta at virtually any auto supply department in every store like Walmart, Kmart, Target, etc. and every autosupply/parts store.

Go look - you'll see it everywhere.
Old 10-01-2003, 06:34 PM
Sachin Misra
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks. Will do.

How soon do you have to change the oil after using Techron, and why?
Old 10-01-2003, 06:49 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Sachin Misra
How soon do you have to change the oil after using Techron, and why?
Sachin
You don't have to change the oil. It's just considered good practice since the Techron/Ventil Sauber (or similar solvents) will wash into the oil causing some contamination.
Old 10-02-2003, 02:18 AM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a related question and have been using Chevron Techron for years.

I was recently given a one quart bottle of Techron concentrate additive by the owner of a Gasoline tanker trunk. He said that the additive is used to increase the concentration of Techron in a 6000-7000 gallon load of fuel. This is definitely not a retail bottle and it has remained sealed.

I would like to put this stuff to good use, however, I am not sure of the proper dilution ratio so it has sat on my garage shelf gathering dust.

Any constructive suggestions or ideas?
Old 10-02-2003, 03:37 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Keith,...Sachin:

I recommend oil changes at 2K to 3K. I'll do a Techron/LubroMoly treatment just before the oil change to flush out all the byprodcuts of combustion.

Ted:

Not knowing EXACTLY what is in that bottle of yours, its impossible accurately say how to dilute it. Certainly, if the fellow who gave it you mentioned it was intended for a 6000-7000 gallon tank, it might be very potent. My philosophy is always: "less is more".

Quick Reply: Fuel additive debate