Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Locking differential 40% & Active Limited Slip Differential, difference? (Viken?)

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2003, 08:19 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Post Locking differential 40% & Active Limited Slip Differential, difference? (Viken?)

Hello,

Someone asked recently about option code 220 (Locking differential 40%), I have that, and I also have 224 (Active Limited Slip Differential).
Do these things go together & are same package or are they two different things?

Thanks!
Old 07-10-2003, 11:16 AM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 34 Posts
Taken from a description of the 993 AWD system, it would indicate that a rear axle LSD and ABD are both present but are most effective under different conditions. This would apply to 2WD as well as AWD.

See: <a href="http://autozine.kyul.net/911/911_2.htm" target="_blank">"The Complete Story of the 911"</a>

"Both the center LSD and rear LSD were now pure mechanical, but clever electronics was used in the newly-added ABD (Automatic Brake Differential). Again, ABD was simple yet effective. It was just a program, sharing all the hardware with ABS. Whenever rear wheels spin, it braked the spinning wheel thus the rear differential would send more torque to the other wheel. It was particularly useful for extreme conditions such as on snow, while LSD covered most normal conditions."

Check out this site. There's a ton of interesting information.

Cheers,
Old 07-10-2003, 12:09 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Flying Finn:
<strong>Someone asked recently about option code 220 (Locking differential 40%), I have that, and I also have 224 (Active Limited Slip Differential).
Do these things go together & are same package or are they two different things?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Option P08 - ABD (224) with LSD (220) - Available only on 6-speed manual 2WD 993's.

Option 224 - ABD without LSD - Available only on Tiptronic 993's.

Option P08 above was standard on all AWD 993's.

Search the archives for the difference in both.
Old 07-10-2003, 12:47 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Thanks guys!

I got it now, somehow had forgotten what they were & do...

Actually I had almost forgotten that I even had these, great "surprice"!

Quick Reply: Locking differential 40% & Active Limited Slip Differential, difference? (Viken?)