993 Forum 1995-1998

"Bumper Plugs" source found.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 11:31 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts
Default "Bumper Plugs" source found.

I've had good luck with the company "bumper plugs" and have their product installed my two blue cars. They make a nice product and provide great service. But, when it came time to get a pair for my basic black car the delivered cost was $36. That seemed like a lot for a couple of black plastic plugs.

My silver car needs a pair as well but it is a "paint to sample" silver. There are many different shades of silver and bumper plugs could not offer me non-standard shade.

So I knew I would need to see my paint guy to do the silver ones, and the black car will be getting a nose repaint after the end of next year.....

I also was hoping for a flatter profile rather than button head style which had been supplied to me earlier when I got the ones for the blue cars.

So after some research I found these. Believe it or not it was not easy. There are many different styles and the parts stores didn't have the right ones. Too wide a head, too narrow a stem, etc. Once I found the right terminology, results improved.

These are nylon, not as soft as plastic. I'm going to micro polish a pair for the black car and have a pair painted to match the silver. When the nose gets painted, I'll have a pair done at that time as well.

I hope someone can benefit from my research.

Regards,

Attached Images   
Old 12-10-2015, 11:53 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 270 Posts

Nice Al! Thanks for sharing the info with us.
Old 12-11-2015, 12:22 AM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 576 Likes on 365 Posts

Those look like the inner fender liner plugs on my GMC truck. I had to replace one of them recently and went to the local auto parts store. They probably had a couple of dozen different sizes in stock. I had the same thought that they could be used for a bumper.
Old 12-11-2015, 01:04 AM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by pirahna
Those look like the inner fender liner plugs on my GMC truck. I had to replace one of them recently and went to the local auto parts store. They probably had a couple of dozen different sizes in stock. I had the same thought that they could be used for a bumper.
That could be. The fender liner retainers I found had a pebble grain finish. These are smooth. Once I found these I stopped looking any further.

What I was finding at the parts store was some which had a flat spot in the center of the head, too narrow a stem, or a mold seam on it.

Regards,

Old 12-11-2015, 02:45 AM
Opo
Nordschleife Master

Received 207 Likes on 76 Posts

Thanks for sharing Al , make sure you post pictures of the final product 👍🏼
Old 12-11-2015, 10:38 PM
hchc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would these work for header washer plug as well? Thanks for sharing
Old 12-12-2015, 12:24 AM
G-MASSA
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same approach here for one of my black cars. I found assorted plugs at a local auto parts store. These may have had a slight grain or pebble finish but I chucked them up in a drill and polished them smooth. Primer, paint, spin polish and voila! Easy project.
Attached Images  
Old 12-12-2015, 02:39 AM
1990-964
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another place to find chassis plugs like this is at Lowe's. They are very inexpensive, under $1/pair. I've used them to plug the holes left after removing my basket handle brake light, worked great.

Quick Reply: "Bumper Plugs" source found.