Sponsored by:

I am sure this has been posted before OEM battery or not

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 10:20 PM
blau
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am sure this has been posted before OEM battery or not

I am looking for a replacement battery for my 993. The 993 does not get driven a lot at all. But I have the battery hook up and charges it every month. If you read my earlier post I found out my battery when dead. The battery is 8 years old.

So my choices are to get a battery from dealer where I purchase the 993 (they have good prices compare to other dealer around and they will give me a discount because I purchase the 993 from them) and it will be $212 or I can get a interstate from Costco for $110. The one from costco is a water down version of the interstate batter (the handle is missing ets) but I think it is just as good as the one from the dealer. Of curse the one from the dealer said Porsche on and I get the feeling I still got an original Porsche. The extra $100 is not going to kill me but then again I would think it is silly to get Porsche motor oil, right. P.s. I have to drive 30 miles to get to the dealer and costco is just down the street.

What do you think I should do. FYI, I purchase my last replacement battery from the dealer.
Old 12-02-2015, 10:21 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Interstate at Costco.
Old 12-02-2015, 10:43 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 149 Posts

Interstate
Old 12-02-2015, 10:53 PM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 68 Posts

Interstate
Old 12-02-2015, 11:03 PM
bcameron59
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

WHAT?!?!?!

You're not going to buy Porsche branded motor oil???
Old 12-03-2015, 12:39 AM
Leander
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Porsche batteries are not all that.
Old 12-03-2015, 12:45 AM
myflat6
Drifting

Received 192 Likes on 123 Posts

Interstate
Old 12-03-2015, 01:01 AM
David A
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

The interstate ref is MTP 91/T6 and you will have to get the breather tube with customer service (free).
Old 12-03-2015, 02:24 AM
blau
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by David A
The interstate ref is MTP 91/T6 and you will have to get the breather tube with customer service (free).
The costco one is not a interstate ref MTP 91/T6. It is made by interstate and it has the interstate label on it. I think it is one of those made special for Costco items. It is the right dimension and label as a H6 size. I verified the measurement against the original. And it does have the hold on the battery for the vent. The costco number is 850276. thanks
Old 06-22-2017, 07:29 PM
ppressle
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not seeing the vent on the 850276. Any hints for me on where it is or did they do away with it?
Pete
Old 06-23-2017, 12:33 AM
gw911nine97
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bosch
Old 06-23-2017, 10:50 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Interstate. But, better yet, install an Odyssey 925 AGM battery and never have to worry about leaks as you would with a traditional battery.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:07 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts
Default #3 East-Penn Manufacturing batteries ..

+1. Agreed. Interstate AGM top of the line 48 month, etc. .. I've used this in the past.

There's an East Penn battery distributor in the North Atlanta area which has supplied several batteries for our vintage projects/cars.
Here's a link to an application catalog: www.dekacatalog.com .. Always fresh batteries from this East Penn Mfg. distribution facility.
There's a DIN specific H6 sized 48 month AGM battery in both the 993, the Frau's Boxster and other daily drivers.

Our MY06 MkV Jetta 1.9l diesel which is parked/stored in Colorado for month/years at a time, its also fitted with a huge East Penn AGM model. .. That baby cranks the compression ignition diesel every time, regardless of 0*F degree ambient temps and Vail's thin air elevation of 8,200'. .. A healthy, sturdy, butch of a battery is needed in order to cross the RPM threshold needed for compression ignition.

We have a couple of 6-volt needs as well. The East Penn Manufacturing group continues to offer quality 6 volt battery models.

Here's an excerpt from Consumers Reports 2016 automotive battery article:
"Car Battery Brands
Most aftermarket car batteries sold in the United States are made by three companies that build them for retailers: Johnson Controls, which supplies more than half of the market, Exide, and East Penn. They are sold under various names and built to the specifications of retailers, so performance can vary. Most stores will test, install, and match the right battery to your car’s needs. Here are the major brands and where they are sold:" End quote.

"AUTOCRAFT - BOSCH - DIEHARD - DURALAST - EVERSTART - INTERSTATE - NAPA - NASCAR - SELECT OTHER BRANDS" End quote.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:10 PM
Tremelune
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

The way you treat the battery has a profound effect on its life; much more so than brand/type, in my opinion. I suspect most are cut short by suboptimal charging systems, long periods of sitting, and outdoor parking through winter. Every vehicle I have has an
intelligent charger intelligent charger
on it unless I expect to drive it in the next day or two. The battery I pulled out of my last car (always garaged) was a run-of-the-mill lead acid battery that lasted 9 years.

Most batteries are well over-specced by 2-4x, depending on what temperature you expect to start the car in. If you never start the car at 0°F, you can cut the cold-cranking amps (and therefore size and weight) in half. You can cut them in half again if you never start the car at 32°F.

I would go AGM to avoid the hassles of lead acid batteries, but really...anything that will fit will work.

Most auto batteries are made by just three manufacturers in the US: Exide, Johnson Controls, and East Penn. I think this is the current breakdown, but I have no great source for the data:

Exide - Champion, Exide, Napa

Johnson Controls - ACDelco, Diehard, EverStart, Duralast, Interstate, Kirkland, Motorcraft

East Penn - Deka, Braille, Odyssey, Duracell, Lifeline
Old 06-25-2017, 01:59 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,556 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by Tremelune
The way you treat the battery has a profound effect on its life; much more so than brand/type
+1

Just pulling the cell covers off and topping off the electrolyte with distilled water twice a year will have a huge impact on service life.
Even so-called maintenance-free lead-acid batteries can usually have their cell covers pried open for filling.

My experience is that letting a battery run down to the point it won't start the car a few times and recharging it seems to reduce the capacity of the battery going forward.

Andy

Quick Reply: I am sure this has been posted before OEM battery or not