Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Garage space heater? Help identifying most effective one.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 09:13 AM
coreseller
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by 95_993
I had one of these in my garage growing up in NJ. I remember keeping the garage almost 70 degrees in the winter while rebuilding my 340 Duster. I've been considering the same again, but finding Kerosene isn't that easy in some places.
Like the OP'er I looked into various options, some were quite costly too. I also have several friends who've built taj mahal garages with everything from elaborate plumbed HVAC systems to buried pipes / instant heated water systems in their floors.

I purchased a heater similar to the one I referenced above at Menards for ~ $120 to hold me over until I ultimately decided on which system to go with. That cheap kerosene heater worked out so well I'm very glad I bought it, there was no need for anything more for my needs at least.

Good Luck in the search.................
Old 12-03-2015, 09:47 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,448 Likes on 1,020 Posts

It seems to me that any sort of radiant induction heater will make for hot spots and will take a little while to provide overall warmth. Some sort of forced air solution will warm things up overall better. I believe a forced air solution can be had in portable and fixed mount veriety. The exposed heating element solutions may provide a point of ignition if volitile solvents or fuel are open near by.
Andy
Old 12-03-2015, 03:24 PM
jo-hans
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have this 240v, 4800 watt Dimplex shop heater hanging in my garage and with the Automatic temperature control helps maintain consistent temperature from 45 to 77°F.
Cheap (not the cheapest option to run) and does the job for me.

Old 12-03-2015, 07:01 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by 95_993
I had one of these in my garage growing up in NJ. I remember keeping the garage almost 70 degrees in the winter while rebuilding my 340 Duster. I've been considering the same again, but finding Kerosene isn't that easy in some places.
I had one of those too-in Dallas. Not exactly the frigid north, but we had some cold spells. Kept my 3 car garage warm one winter while I built an airplane in my 3 car garage, including the paint booth where I laid down a coat of dope almost every morning at 5am for about 3 weeks.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:31 PM
RVanK
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are times it does get frigid in this part of Michigan. I went with a Gas fired Infrared tube heater (20,000 - 25,0000 BTU) and 6 inches of closed cell foam insulation on the ceiling. The tool shed’s shape didn’t allow me to use the conventional systems so went with a serpentine shape from SunTube. It’s designed for a suspended ceiling drop in. While it’s not the cheapest approach the infrared energy heats the concrete floor. This makes a nice working environment, when its subzero outside.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:36 PM
RVanK
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a photo of the ceiling unit.

Quick Reply: Garage space heater? Help identifying most effective one.