Sponsored by:

My Thoughts After 993 To Lamborghini Gallardo

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 06:05 AM
Aaron 993C2
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by larpy
They do pretty well which is why I decided to buy one. I figured even if I lost $10000 over a couple years I can say I did it. The 6 speed manuals are really holding strong but are hard to find. A beautiful 2005 showed up on eBay the last couple of days for $94900 which in my opinion is a steal! I looked at the R8 but the appearance is too tame for me. I think a 993 is better looking!
I swapped cars with an R8 V8 (manual) owner last year, and at the end of the day I thanked him for the experience but was glad to get my 993 keys back. The R8 felt like an extremely quick metal box to me. The 993 just gives a better overall experience!

Oh--and it was funny getting a panicked phone call from him from a parking lot trying to figure out the immobilizer while he was late for a meeting.

AND--your Lambo looks awesome.
Old 11-26-2015, 08:18 AM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 361 Likes on 191 Posts

Larpy,

Great story - thanks for sharing and glad to hear you are doing well!! I think it's great that you've decided to leave the painful past behind you and look ahead and your choice of "car therapy" is a great choice - good for the soul! Now take that yellow bullet in the twisties north of Black Hawk/Central City before the snow arrives.
Old 11-26-2015, 09:01 AM
larpy
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Opo
I agree , trading a ex wife for this baby is a deal 😜 Pearl yellow Gallardo 😍 Your car looks identical to my old 6 speed Gallardo , very rare and hard to find 😢 Does you Lambo has the carbon fiber interior package ? If it does is more likely my old car 🤔 I sold mine in 2011 with 11k miles on the clock , great choice on color as well , that's the only color Lambo I will ever buy 👍🏼 enjoy the car and your daughters my friend 👍🏼
[IMG]https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlist.com-vbulletin/604x453/80-image_0f9836225325201192dcb13015f47cc8a30313c0.jpeg[/IMG

Mine has spent most of its life in Denver so I don't think it was yours but possible. It does have the factory carbon fiber kit. Do you know the last 4 of your VIN? It would be pretty cool if it was your car!
Old 11-26-2015, 09:11 AM
larpy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Aaron 993C2
I swapped cars with an R8 V8 (manual) owner last year, and at the end of the day I thanked him for the experience but was glad to get my 993 keys back. The R8 felt like an extremely quick metal box to me. The 993 just gives a better overall experience!

Oh--and it was funny getting a panicked phone call from him from a parking lot trying to figure out the immobilizer while he was late for a meeting.

AND--your Lambo looks awesome.
The R8 shares a lot of the Gallardo technology but with more refinement. I have not driven one but would like to. I think you understand what I am saying about the connection of the 993. Few people around me realized what the 993 was which made for beautiful drives! People left me alone. I know this sound like the most ridiculous comment ever but I truly did not think the Gallardo would attract so much attention. I knew it would get some but it attracts so much it makes it a pain to drive in the city. The connection with that car is on the highway or in the mountains but even then you feel like you are being bounced around inside of it compared to the smooth elegance of the 993.

Last edited by larpy; 12-20-2015 at 10:16 AM.
Old 11-26-2015, 09:26 AM
larpy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bbs993tt
Larpy,

Great story - thanks for sharing and glad to hear you are doing well!! I think it's great that you've decided to leave the painful past behind you and look ahead and your choice of "car therapy" is a great choice - good for the soul! Now take that yellow bullet in the twisties north of Black Hawk/Central City before the snow arrives.
Thanks! Part of my dramatic weight loss was the stress of my world collapsing when I found out about the affair. If I had let stress and depression continue to control me I would have been done. It is a place I never want to go back to. I decided to focus on my mental and physical self versus becoming and negative father and man. I set goals. I became involved in the men's group at my church. My first goal was to drop 30 lbs. I surpassed that! I went from a size 37 waist to a size 31 and it felt great. I had lost control of so much over the past year! It felt good to be in control of something which was my health!

My kids are really close to me. They were always my top priority! I wanted to try and make life normal again but realized that was never going to happen so I decided to try and create new happier times. I have an amazing relationship with my girls. They have been my rock and have kept me positive. I made mistakes in my marriage and I had to recognize that. I never want to repeat what I went through but I am such a better person for it! I am happier with me.

The car purchase was like a thank you gift to my kids and I. We survived the violent part of the storm and will continue working through the rough seas together. It gives us something to do together and it sure does put a beautiful smile on their faces when I hit the accelerator! Thanks for the kind words.

Last edited by larpy; 11-26-2015 at 05:50 PM.
Old 11-26-2015, 10:28 AM
masti99
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 87 Posts

Congrats to your new beginnings! Enjoy in good health...
Old 11-26-2015, 03:22 PM
serval
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts

Really great story. Thank you for sharing, and thank you for being so frank about it all. Sometime things that we perceive as bad in the moment turn out to be a very positive turning point. You sound like a great guy. Enjoy life
Old 11-27-2015, 02:51 PM
larpy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by serval
Really great story. Thank you for sharing, and thank you for being so frank about it all. Sometime things that we perceive as bad in the moment turn out to be a very positive turning point. You sound like a great guy. Enjoy life
I appreciate the feedback. I have had my negative moments for sure but I have worked hard on getting past them. It is time to enjoy life and my passions without questioning myself all the time. I am waiting for warm, dry weather to go have some fun with this thing!

Last edited by larpy; 12-20-2015 at 10:18 AM.
Old 11-28-2015, 11:40 AM
larpy
Burning Brakes

I plan on doing a lot of polishing on the Gallardo. This was the bottom of my 993. Yes, I drove it but with a lift it was easy to keep it clean. I really enjoy the detail work!
Old 11-28-2015, 11:42 AM
larpy
Burning Brakes

Another for memories. I think it is in Chicago now. Would love to see it!

Old 11-28-2015, 12:28 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 369 Likes on 221 Posts

Great write up. It sounds like you have your head screwed on straight after some rough times. Life is so short it's cool that you are pursuing your dreams and making things happen. Cool! KMA367
Old 11-28-2015, 04:33 PM
yelloporsche
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats on the car my man! Enjoy! You are so right about the bling factor of the Gallardo. I could go a week without seeing one in LA, but I see at least 2-3 911's a day here.
Old 11-28-2015, 09:57 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,891 Likes on 2,410 Posts

great write up and wonderful recovery you made. having your girls close to you is the best.
that ex didn't sound to deserve you.
wish you the best of everything
and tell us more about that lambo. and for the near future, you will be adding a porsche soon.
Old 11-29-2015, 11:32 AM
sugarwood
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by larpy
I do not feel the connection I had with my 993. ....I really don't relax driving it. I am always scanning for the next bone head that is going to slam on his/her brakes to snap a photo at the most inopportune time.
I find that with a "new" car, it takes me quite a few thousand miles of driving until I feel like it's MY car
I feel like an imposter driving someone else's car.....and I'm worrying about stuff like it breaking down or me crashing it.

Right now, your Gallardo probably feels like a new Sunday church suit at age 12.
I say, give it time, and eventually it will feel like an old shoe.
Old 11-29-2015, 01:35 PM
larpy
Burning Brakes

Smile

Originally Posted by sugarwood
I find that with a "new" car, it takes me quite a few thousand miles of driving until I feel like it's MY car
I feel like an imposter driving someone else's car.....and I'm worrying about stuff like it breaking down or me crashing it.

Right now, your Gallardo probably feels like a new Sunday church suit at age 12.
I say, give it time, and eventually it will feel like an old shoe.
I think you make a really valid point. In time I will probably be more comfortable with it. People around me scare me however and I am not sure that will ever change!

Quick Reply: My Thoughts After 993 To Lamborghini Gallardo