Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Air Cooled Engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 11:35 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Folks, this is a discussion board, and the OP has left the thread open for comments. Whether people are a potential customers or not should have no bearing on their right to pose queries. Legitimate questions, IMO, were asked and not in an insulting manner. Personally, I'm here to learn and I often gain understanding by asking questions.

Robert, if you don't want people to make comments in your threads, you can lock those threads. Let me know if you want this thread to be locked.
Old 07-05-2016, 11:40 AM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's nothing to see, Robert Linton continue with your fabulous work.
Many of us are simply intrigued with the developments of your team.
Old 07-05-2016, 12:48 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by 0396
There's nothing to see, Robert Linton continue with your fabulous work.
Many of us are simply intrigued with the developments of your team.
+1.
Old 07-05-2016, 02:28 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

I agree, anyone has the right to comment but I have the right not to reply. Further, anyone who wishes to contact me is free to do this too and I am happy to speak with anyone. But, please, I do not want to turn what I thought would be interesting to some as a forum to shoot. People can believe the numbers we got or not. Frankly, I did not think we would do as well as we did.
Old 07-05-2016, 02:52 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

FYI, I just asked a Porsche dealer for the price of a new 964 engine. They have no new ones but they do have manufactured engines and the cost is $35.353.44 for the engine and $15,960.44 for the core, i.e., approximately $51,000 if you do not have a core to return and this for 247 HP.
The following users liked this post:
BerlinDaniel (12-03-2021)
Old 07-05-2016, 03:36 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 74 Posts

Subscribed and PM sent.

Regards,

Al
Old 07-05-2016, 03:47 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by mgerber
Robert - I for one enjoy the posts and tracking what you are doing very much. It is very interesting to see what your team is doing to push the boundaries of performance with these engines. Thank you for continuing to update us.

Matt
+1

Robert, Please continue... most of us are fascinated by the details of what/how you are doing.
Old 07-05-2016, 04:47 PM
windydog
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Keep the updates coming!

I always tell people, its easy to be a critic, but hard to create.

I truely admire your ambition to develop something, kudos to you.

With the rise in Porsche part, they are a better investment than gold. I believe whatever you sell the motor for, it will be potentially more economical than rebuilding a old motor similar to what you are building.

You will find there are a few skeptics, but that is always expected when you are in a R&D mode. I wish you all the sucess in this project, as people like you make Rennlist a great place.

P.S. Your place of work sounds like an engineering playground.
Old 07-06-2016, 01:50 AM
pegdrag
Rennlist Member

Default Gold

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
I'd be interested if anyone has any empirical data to show that gold-plated intake parts on a 993 provide a significant power increase, assuming "significant" is defined as more than five horsepower.
Mark, I think the use of gold plating has little to do with power production (directly), rather it is used to protect the intake parts from the heat of the engine. Its done a lot in NASA (I'm told), a lot in military jets, and extensively in Formula 1. So to answer your question, yes there is lots and lots of evidence that it is useful. Back in the day, copper foil was used, now gold.

Again, as I understand the technology, the foil is applied to the carbon fiber using an adhesive. Gold reflects heat brilliantly!

This has been discussed in this very forum at least as far back as 2004, btw.

I've several relatives who work(ed) in the space program. This isn't new stuff in the space program nor is it the stuff of your garden variety engine.

Here is a McLaren F1 engine back in the day.

McLaren F1 Engine

Google it, you'll find evidence.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:17 AM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Linton
FYI, I just asked a Porsche dealer for the price of a new 964 engine. They have no new ones but they do have manufactured engines and the cost is $35.353.44 for the engine and $15,960.44 for the core, i.e., approximately $51,000 if you do not have a core to return and this for 247 HP.
Exactly. Keep doing what you doing and please share the progress and pics.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:54 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by pegdrag
Mark, I think the use of gold plating has little to do with power production (directly), rather it is used to protect the intake parts from the heat of the engine. Its done a lot in NASA (I'm told), a lot in military jets, and extensively in Formula 1. So to answer your question, yes there is lots and lots of evidence that it is useful. Back in the day, copper foil was used, now gold.

Again, as I understand the technology, the foil is applied to the carbon fiber using an adhesive. Gold reflects heat brilliantly!

This has been discussed in this very forum at least as far back as 2004, btw.

I've several relatives who work(ed) in the space program. This isn't new stuff in the space program nor is it the stuff of your garden variety engine.

Here is a McLaren F1 engine back in the day.

McLaren F1 Engine

Google it, you'll find evidence.
Mark,

Thanks for the info.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:57 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Gang, I don't think anyone here was criticizing Robert Linton -- simply asking questions. His work is obviously very impressive. I am honestly curious to know what kind of power difference there is between two street motors, one with a gold-plated throttle body (or bodies) and one without. On a cost-no-object engine build, maybe this is a thing to do. I'd be curious to learn more. That's why I asked.
Old 07-06-2016, 05:06 PM
pegdrag
Rennlist Member

Default gold, more gold

Originally Posted by NP993
Gang, I don't think anyone here was criticizing Robert Linton -- simply asking questions. His work is obviously very impressive. I am honestly curious to know what kind of power difference there is between two street motors, one with a gold-plated throttle body (or bodies) and one without. On a cost-no-object engine build, maybe this is a thing to do. I'd be curious to learn more. That's why I asked.
As I understand it, the discussion is not between gold plated throttle bodies and non-gold plated throttle bodies. I doubt that would make much difference at all. (Jim, gimme that there gold plated throttle body....the one with the rubies...that sucker will add 200 horses)

The discussion is about the development of power from an entire engine and the materials used in the engine. If the throttle body needs to be cooler, that might need gold foil.

Interesting read about this type of thing.

http://www.formula1-dictionary.net/heat_shielding.html

Note that this is not engine technology per se. I suspect the Formula 1 teams keep that kind of thing very close to the vest. I further suspect that Mr. Linton is offering us a glimpse into very high end engine technology.
Old 07-06-2016, 05:27 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

There are many ways to keep air coolor and/or to cool air before it gets into the engine. Do I think that the gold plating (not gold foil) will achieve any meaningful HP, no. But could it be helpful in not losing any meaningful HP, perhaps, i.e., no harm in doing it - and one day, when there is time to comparer with and without, we will do it. For now it might be a bit of insurance.
The following users liked this post:
BerlinDaniel (12-03-2021)
Old 07-11-2016, 02:07 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Up further consideration, to give us more flexibility, we have decided to use Bosch MS 6.4 instead of 6.2 as our ECU.

Quick Reply: New Air Cooled Engine