Help, need set of winter wheels for 95 C4

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2002, 12:46 AM
Mike Lincoln
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Help, need set of winter wheels for 95 C4

Hi guys,

My 95 C4 couple needs a set of spare wheels for winter tires. It came with a set of chrome 17 inch cup wheels when I bought it. I didn't really like the chrome look (although Wheel Enhancement tells me its all the rage in California). Therefore, I retired those to snow duty and bought boxster twists for summer work. Now one rear chrome wheel has a crack (a motorcycle ran into it, another story). While I really don't like the chrome look, as I said, I suppose a 9 x 17 chrome rear wheel would serve. But I'd really like an more OEM look.

Does anyone have an excess set of front and rear wheels, 17 inch, suitable for this car, that they'd be willing to part with? Paint scratches aren't terribly important, although curb rash is perhaps too bad. I don' really need the rubber either, although I suppose a set of partially good summer tires wouldn't hurt.

There seems to be a dearth of available wheels advertised these days, so I thought I'd beg pardon and post my request to the board where more people would see it.

Thanks, Mike
michael.lincoln@hsc.utah.edu
Old 11-25-2002, 09:22 AM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
Arrow

Mike,

I am sorry. I know we had spoken about my extra set... I did move mine quickly, you were next in line if I had not been able to. I meant to drop you a note.

There are plenty of them out there. I am sure some forum member can get you ready for the winter w/ their extra sets. Com'on guys. Help Mike out!
Old 11-25-2002, 10:21 AM
Reuben
Addict
Rennlist Member

I, too, am searching high and low for a set of 17 inch winter wheels & tires for my 1995 993 Coupe. Which winter tires are currently the preferred by Rennlisters?

Thanks,
Reuben
reubenloewy@comcast.net
Princeton, New Jersey
Old 11-25-2002, 10:28 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by loewy:
<strong>Which winter tires are currently the preferred by Rennlisters?

</strong><hr></blockquote>

I have used the Pirelli Wintersport 210's with good results. These are the only snow tire I have used so my experience is limited, but they are very reassuring when it snows and even in the wet. Even the worst snow tire would be head and shoulders better than any performance tire.

I also ran them on my e36 M3 that I used to own and I preferred to drive that car when the weather got bad vs. my wifes ML430 on std. tires.
Old 11-25-2002, 01:57 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Reuben
There have been a number of threads on this topic, e.g.:

<a href="http://forums.rennlist.com/forums/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=000836" target="_blank">Winter tires and wheels (8/01)</a>

<a href="http://forums.rennlist.com/forums/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=005152" target="_blank">C4S in the snow-experiences and advice needed. (9/02)</a>

I'd strongly suggest you get speed rated (H or V) "performance" winter tires as opposed to (generally less expensive) Q rated pure snow/ice tires. Although H/V perform very well in snow/ice, they won't do quite as well as the Q. However, they'll wear much better & are far, far superior performers for what is likely the majority of your winter driving - cold, dry roads.

Among the performance winters, I don't think you can go wrong - I remain very happy w/Dunlop Winter Sports on my 993. However, I've now had a season of Pirelli 210 Snowsports on a Volvo T5 & they too are very good. Both easily outperform my wife's A6 Quattro w/oem Conti all seasons. It's hard to compare tires on different cars esp a T5 & 993, but I'd give a (very) slight nod to the Pirellis in the dry. To further confuse, Michelin & Bridgestone have introduced performance snows in the past 2 years which have received good reviews.
Old 11-26-2002, 07:12 AM
Blizzard
Instructor

Mike,
I sent you an email. I have a set of 17" cup wheels from my 97 993.

Quick Reply: Help, need set of winter wheels for 95 C4