Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you remove DriveBlock, what’s left?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2003, 04:26 PM
Jonathan C
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If you remove DriveBlock, what’s left?

From those who’ve either had DriveBlock disabled/removed from their ECU by someplace like Rennsport (or perhaps had it disabled by the dealer?), I would like to know what remains of the ‘security system’. If there are variances for earlier cars, I’d specifically like to address a 1997 car:

I assume the button on the key fob still locks and unlocks the doors.

When the doors are locked, do the LEDs on top of the doors still flash?

At the moment the car is locked or unlocked, do the sidelights and taillights still blink?

Can you remove the door lock plugs and unlock the car manually with impunity? (i.e., can the door lock cylinder stand up to this unintended repeated, daily, manual turning, or must you still rely upon the fob for locking?)

Anything else?

Thanks,

Jonathan
Old 09-25-2003, 04:34 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

why would you remove driveblock?
Old 09-25-2003, 04:37 PM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hmmm...interesting question, Jonathan. I had the drive-block removed on the '97 ECU installed in my '91 (wouldn't work otherwise). But, my original factory alarm/ignition disabling remained fully functional and intact. Don't know what effect removing the drive-block will have on a later car which is supposed to have drive-block?
Old 09-25-2003, 04:51 PM
Jonathan C
Intermediate

to Fishey:

From searching the archives, it seems that it is not unheard of for the DriveBlock to malfunction – usually manifested by an inoperable remote. There are several old posts about the disabling of DriveBlock, but none mention the consequences or subsequent operation of the vehicle.

I would guess an “advantage” of disabling it would be that you could unlock the door with your key if the remote fob failed, without having to go through the rigmarole of switching the ignition switch off and on to the tune of your security code. I personally have been experiencing intermittent operation of both my remotes; fresh batteries, dusting off the innards, and some contact cleaner on the battery terminals and on the switch have had no effect. Although I haven’t been stranded yet, I now carry in my wallet a miniaturised photo-copy of the alarm override procedures.

The expense of repairing or replacing the DriveBlock may be more than having Rennsport reprogram it out of my ECU (whilst adding in other goodies at the same time – a bonus there!)

I certainly have not come to any conclusions, and I am not ready to take any action, but I am trying to gather as much information as possible on the consequences of disabling the system.

Randall - is your 964 alarm integral to your door locking? For you then, I guess DriveBlock only would've meant pressing the fob button before starting your engine. I guess I'm just trying to separate the door unlocking from the other functions.
Old 09-25-2003, 07:50 PM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jonathan,

Yes, the alarm system on my 964 is integral to door locking. For example, if the top is off, windows down...if you reach in and try to unlock the doors with the ****, it will re-lock itself automatically, sound the alarm, and disable the ignition. The alarm has to be reset by operating the key in the door. FWIW, I have had zero problems to date with my factory alarm.

If Steve W. doesn't know the answer, Todd Knighton of Protomotive might. He removed the drive-block on my ECU.
Old 09-25-2003, 07:53 PM
PramTT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default What happen?

" If you remove DriveBlock, what’s left?"

Drive thru!!!!! Sorry guys, couldn't resist

Anyway when I upgraded my ECU to the Porsche 450hp kit, Andial has to program the new ECU so that it is recognized by the drive block module in the car. I guess if the ECU is not recognized by the module in the car then it would no start. On some ECU, they can be programmed to ignore this recognition procedure that even it does not get recognized, the car can still be started but the "drive block idiot light" in the instrument panel will remain lit. Is this last procedure the same as removing the drive block???

Quick Reply: If you remove DriveBlock, what’s left?