Sponsored by:

Need suggestion for storage lift

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 05:35 PM
crw
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 210 Posts
Default Need suggestion for storage lift

In a new home that will be built, I am planning on using a 4 post lift for storage and working underneath the car (primarily winter projects).

993 on top (other car on bottom).

I am looking for suggestions for a good quality 4 post lift with removable drain pans underneath.

I figure for @ $3,500 I can get a good quality product.

Bendpak ( I worry about China manufacture)?

Greg Smith?

Backyard Buddy (may be a bit overkill and over priced).

The big goal here is:

1. Safety
2. Reliability
3. The upper deck should sit on metal to metal locks, not simply suspended by cables alone.

The garage will be @ 11 feet ceiling height which should be enough. Car underneath will either be a Corvette or BMW passenger car (daily beater) that can be backed out under the lift in the gararge which will be able to hold 4 cars.

When I want to do wheels off work, I will simply lower the lift, lift the 993 with a floor jack and put the EBSCO jack stand between the 993 and upper deck of the storage lift.

Thanks in advance for any input or ideas
Old 10-20-2015, 06:57 PM
ppressle
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a bend pack which is very nice. It needs air to unlock the safety latches. Runs on either 110 or 220v.

Jacking while on the treads is tricky since the treads are limited width and any jack stand will be near the edge of the tread. If you really want to work on your car with the 4 post, I'd get one of the jacks that work with 4 post lifts. They are not cheap though and you lose a bit of headroom.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:07 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

FWIW, my cousins have a lot of collector cars and numerous 4-post lifts made by Direct Lift.
Old 10-20-2015, 11:21 PM
smq42
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ppressle
I have a bend pack which is very nice. It needs air to unlock the safety latches. Runs on either 110 or 220v. Jacking while on the treads is tricky since the treads are limited width and any jack stand will be near the edge of the tread. If you really want to work on your car with the 4 post, I'd get one of the jacks that work with 4 post lifts. They are not cheap though and you lose a bit of headroom.
Agree w post above. I have a BendPak 4 post that is awesome for storage--seems very sturdy and safe, has metal-on-metal locks so weight is always supported by steel beams.

However, it is virtually useless for wheels off work for reasons stated above.
Old 10-21-2015, 01:46 PM
froggert
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 4-post lift made by Direct Lift and no issues so far. Get the sliding jack and you'll be able to easily get two wheels in the air. With jackstands or a second sliding jack, all 4.

Check out garagejournal.com for all sorts of garage, lift and tool related topics.
Old 10-21-2015, 02:32 PM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 80 Posts

Direct Lift is very popular up here as well.
Old 10-21-2015, 06:17 PM
crw
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 210 Posts

Does Direct lift rely solely on cables, or does it lock into place like Bend Pak?

Seems like Direct Lift's design would allow jack stands - the tracks seem wide enough that.

1. Car on upper deck (which is in lowered position).

2. Use 2 floor jacks to raise car enough to put jack stands between the car and lift rails (middle splash pan would be out).

3. Then raise lift to desired height.

If using a floor jack to raise the car onto stands proves to be too much of a pain, I could always spring for the extra $1,200 to buy 2 scissor type lifts to sit on the rails - I would like to avoid these because of the limited use issue.

Old 10-21-2015, 09:11 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 558 Likes on 408 Posts

When planning installation, be sure to leave enough room to leave the optional extended ramps inside the garage. Nice to be able to simply drive in and out without fiddling with the ramps. Good luck with project, and keep us posted.
Old 10-21-2015, 09:13 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have 4 Greg Smith lifts...they've been perfectly functional and reliable for years. I'd buy them again. Delivery was easy and assembly was very simple.
Old 10-21-2015, 09:24 PM
zooming993
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

I've owned a Direct Lift for 7 years now and have no complaints. One of the reasons I choose the Greg Smith Direct Lift was I was able to pick it up in Dover, Delaware. I'm not sure what the cost is to ship a lift today but when I bought mine, it wasn't cheap. When I was shopping for a lift there were more costly units available but for my needs, the Direct Lift 8,000 Lb. fit the bill. My lift came in handy when I replaced my clutch in my 993. I've attached a photo of how I had it set up. My garage ceiling is 10' and I'm able to store my 993, M3 or El Camino on the top or bottom, see the attached photo. Let me try and answer some of your questions.

Originally Posted by crw
Does Direct lift rely solely on cables, or does it lock into place like Bend Pak?

I'm not familiar with the Bend Pak but the Direct Lift uses cables to raise and lower the ramp and solid steel fingers to lock the ramp in place.

Seems like Direct Lift's design would allow jack stands - the tracks seem wide enough that.

I was able to place 4 jack stands under each of the 993 lift pads with no problem.

Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Need suggestion for storage lift