993 Forum 1995-1998

Group Buy: Custom 993 Subwoofers

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2003, 12:36 PM
Tech-Law
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Group Buy: Custom 993 Subwoofers

Well I finally got around to speaking with my installers and they came up with the following for all of you who wish to add some depth to their sound system.

The idea would be to use my 993 to pull a mold from the rear 3/4 panels and have Don and Ian custom fabricate two subwoofer enclosures that would each contain an 8 inch JL Audio subwoofer.

The final product would look like this:

http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/RearPanelSub.jpg

But I believe that Don and Ian at AKA Kustom have skills that are far superior to the work above. Check out my carbon fiber door panels that they did and you'll see what I mean:

http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/Dr...orFinished.jpg

As you can see - the workmanship is impeccable.

They told me that if we got 3 or 4 people who were interested that they could make custom fiberglass enclosures that fit perfectly in the stock locations. The enclosures would be very strong and acoustically damped and would contain a JL Audio 8" subwoofer. They could be covered in the Porsche factory vinyl or leather. The rear seat backs would be able to fold freely and judging from prior work it would be a very stealthy install.

They've quoted me a price of $1,200 for a pair of enclosure with drivers covered in factory vinyl. Leather would be a $250 upcharge.

If anyone is interested in pursuing this please PM me or reply to this thread. I'll need email addresses to move forward if we can generate some interest.

No affiliation - just a happy customer.

Best to all
Old 09-23-2003, 12:38 PM
Sachin Misra
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks nice, but isn't it a bit pricey ?
Old 09-23-2003, 01:26 PM
Tech-Law
Pro

It all depends on how serious you take your car, it's appearance, its sound quality and its resale value. The pictures of my doors may not do it justice but in person they are perfect - maybe the best I've ever seen - and I've been tweaking my car electronics for over 20 years.

There's probably $400 in material alone for the 2 enclosures so $800 seems reasonable for that level of custom fabrication work. The old adage "You get what you pay for" comes to mind.
Old 09-23-2003, 02:06 PM
993Power
Instructor

Tech, Can he do something with a 10" JLw3 V2? I have a pair of them in a box sitting in my back seat, and I need that Space. What can he do? Thanks!

chris
Old 09-23-2003, 02:30 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tech - I assume that these will only fit in a coupe or targa and not in a cab right (b/s of the top mechanism)?

Thanks.
Old 09-23-2003, 03:15 PM
artemis
AutoX

I would buy a set, can a JL 8W7 be fitted in there?? That is what I would want if this goes through..

Jeremy
Old 09-23-2003, 03:53 PM
bbeckmann
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In your door enclosure, it looks like there is a tweeter firing right into your feet. Is that right?
Old 09-23-2003, 04:00 PM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 442 Likes on 241 Posts

Too bad I am not in the market for subs - that's the most promising installation I have seen so far.

bbeckmann, good question. I was wondering the same!
Old 09-23-2003, 04:09 PM
Tech-Law
Pro

The tweeter is deliberately mounted farther away from the listener than the woofer to account for the faster speed of high frequency sound and to permit the stream to open up a bit.

The mounting baffle is actually angled up and back - not sure if the picture shows that. The tweeter also pivots inside it's housing even further so that the sound from the right and left tweeter is actually crossing approximately over the stick shift. It provides a good sound stage and images well. Much better IMO than the stock location that spits right in your face.
Old 09-23-2003, 04:12 PM
graham_mitchell
Banned

The tweeter is deliberately mounted farther away from the listener than the woofer to account for the faster speed of high frequency sound
er... we might have to rewrite the physics books after your discovery
Old 09-23-2003, 04:34 PM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Jokes aside, there is no difference in speed to be concerned about. In fact, the drivers should be equidistant from the ear if possible to assure simultaneous arrival of sound.

The original positioning of the tweeters is not without merit:
1) high frequency dispersion tends to be very directional, so you should be on or nearly 'on axis' to get the fully extended frequency response. This means that the tweeters should be pointing at or close to the ears.
2) treble is easily absorbed relative to lower frequency sound. Having clothing in the way, for example, will adversely affect your frequency response.

If you found the OEM treble a little too much, that may be a result of:
1) inappropriate crossover
2) tweeter resonances
3) frequency imbalance due to stereo components
Old 09-23-2003, 05:28 PM
jda407
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I got a pair of subs from Rod @ Car Audio Innovations. Very happy with them and they were much cheaper than that.
Good luck
Old 09-23-2003, 05:49 PM
Tech-Law
Pro

I'm not sure a porsche board is a good venue for discussion of psychoacoustics but speed=wavelength*frequency and yes absolute speed is indeed constant. The listeners perception of when sound arrives is not however.

Look at UK based Wilson Audio whose $125,000 Alexandria speakers system actually places the midrange and tweeter on rails and slides those drivers back away from the listener to make the arrival of the sound more coherent with the bass. Most modern designs incorporate similar techniques from manufactuers like Thiel, Nucleus, Vandersteen, etc.

I cannot remember a single audiophile grade car audio installation in the last 5 years that places the tweeter right on top of the listener and certainly not CLOSER than the other drivers but... to each his own and it's all about what makes you personally happy.

Personally I'm happy with this design that I've been tweaking for many years now. Email some pictures of alternative designs and I'll be happy to discuss off board. www.avsforum.com is a good place for basic questions/answers regarding audio theory.
Old 09-23-2003, 07:37 PM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Originally posted by Tech-Law
Look at UK based Wilson Audio whose $125,000 Alexandria speakers system actually places the midrange and tweeter on rails and slides those drivers back away from the listener to make the arrival of the sound more coherent with the bass.
(Btw, Wilson Audio is based in Utah, USA)

When drivers are visually out of alignment, it is usually due to the different phase angles of the drivers at the crossover frequency. The 'time alignment' is then necessary to restore phase coherence, and to avoid an irregular frequency response around the crossover frequency.

Imho, the apparent delay of bass is probably not due to the direct radiation from the driver itself, but standing waves within the listening environment which take a lot longer to establish because they require the sound wave to cross the width of the room several times.

I cannot remember a single audiophile grade car audio installation in the last 5 years that places the tweeter right on top of the listener and certainly not CLOSER than the other drivers
I agree that the OEM tweeter position also has its cons - having the tweeter much closer is not any better than having it much further. It is the direct, on-axis sound path which is desirable. The frequency v time and amplitude irregularities could be corrected with a high-end digital processor

But we can agree on one thing, you need to do whatever sounds good to you
Old 09-23-2003, 08:21 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

The reason that the tweeters are placed further from the driver is to make the difference between each tweeter and the corresponding ear less.

Example: If the tweeters were mounted in the factory location, the left tweeter might me 1.5 feet from your left ear and the right tweeter might me 4.0 feet from your right ear.

Moving them down the door panels might make the left distance 3.0 feet and the right distance 4.5 feet......and thereby lessening the difference between the two.

This helps staging immensely.

Quick Reply: Group Buy: Custom 993 Subwoofers