Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2003, 04:58 PM
Josh_S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Experiences with Car Locators?

Hi folks:
The time that I will commence a search for a 993 is glacially approaching. Given the extent of my auto knowledge, I am strongly inclined to use a locator. I have heard things over the years about Brian Buxton/Buston Motor Sports. Any feedback on him? I also note that European Locators (Dave Maynard) is in my geographic neighborhood. Any experience with this group would be appreciated as will any and all comments/advice.
Thanks-
JS
Old 07-08-2003, 07:05 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

I have personally known Dave Maynard for over 10 years. GREAT guy to deal with. Very honest, and KNOWS his Porsches. He is well known to the Porsche clubs in the Northeast, and he usually has a line on a number of cars and knows their histories.

Good luck.....
Old 07-08-2003, 08:16 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts
Dave Maynard is AWESOME - I bought a 1998 C2S through him in December and I would NEVER buy another (used) Porsche anywhere else.
Old 07-08-2003, 10:02 PM
Chuckie T
Intermediate

I may enlist the services of Mr. Maynard in the near future and from what I've gathered he is fantastic. If those of you have worked a deal through him (DC from Cape Cod) wouldn't mind, could you please provide some additional details about the txn? For example, what is the level of flexibility regarding year, mileage, color, condition, etc? What services did you use (locator or auction)? How many cars did you refuse? What are the prices like relative to accepted price ranges for the particular model (plus his fee)? Thanks. I'm new to buying services and I'm just trying to figure out how it works.
Old 07-09-2003, 01:47 AM
Bob D.
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts
As I have posted previously, I had an excellent experience with Dave Maynard, from start to finish. Like DC, I, too, would recommend him without hesitation.

I used the locator service, and don't remember "refusing" any cars. Rather, it was more like he was a partner, and together, we sorted through the possibilities and found the right car.

Regarding the fees, as you can gather from the above posts and others in the archives, Dave is a knowledgeable and personable fellow, who establishes a wonderful rapport with sellers. As a result, he is able to assist in establishing a climate where a good price is likely to be negotiated. I got my car at an excellent price, and felt his fees were well earned.

Just my experience. Good luck, whatever avenue you pursue. :-)

P.S.: I am composing this message using voice recognition software, and am still early in the learning curve. Apologies in advance for any weird typos. ;-)
Old 07-09-2003, 10:04 AM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

I agree with Bob....I told Dave exactly what I wanted (1998 C2S in Artic Silver with FACTORY aerokit, mint conditions, low miles). In this case, he happened to know that Tom Bobbitt thinking about selling his personal car and secured that one for me. He ran it through his business so I could get a better rate through People First.

I had spent MONTHS looking....only to turn up accident damage or mis-represented cars. Dave found me a car in about 2 weeks. Dave was reasonable in his fee (due to the speed with which he found the car) and the price was acceptable. Keep in mind that there are not many mint (1 paint chip) cars out there that met my description so I was prepared to pay for it.

Keep in mind that your time has a price tag attached to it and I could not afford to spend additional months looking.
Old 07-09-2003, 10:55 AM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Isn't looking for the right car half of the fun?
Old 07-09-2003, 11:31 AM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

It depends on how long it takes.....it was fun for the first few months and then it got to be a PITA.

Besides, it was starting to cost me serious money...my time is worth a lot and I would rather spend it driving than shopping.
Old 07-10-2003, 09:54 AM
Josh_S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

Thanks for all the replies. I imagine that looking for the right car could be a lot of fun. However, given my total lack of competence in this area, it seems a better idea to go with someone honest who knows the market and the cars.

For the record, that's all "plus" reviews for Mr. Marynard with the exception of one serious negative that I received via private e-mail. Interesting that there are no comments about Brian Buxton. Perhaps that's because he and his customers tend to communicate on the 911 list.
Thanks again-
JS
Old 07-10-2003, 11:17 PM
JPL 993-C4S
Instructor

Josh, do a lot of EPA employees drive a 993? I'd guess you will get a lot of fuel efficiency comments at work.

(Not that I think this should discourage you, but I think it is interesting).
Old 07-16-2003, 06:54 AM
Josh_S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Good question, JPL. I only know one fed who has a 911 of mid-70s vintage. It is rotting away but she refuses to get rid of it, or repair it!

My sense of the culture here is that there are surprisingly few enviro-*****, particularly on grey issues. Now, if they knew my current car was a 1990 Toyota Forerunner, getting about 8 feet to the gallon........
Old 07-16-2003, 07:03 AM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 139 Posts

Brian buxton at butxtonmotorsports.com is a good guy and knows porsches too !
Old 07-16-2003, 08:21 AM
stedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

I bought a beautiful car with Dave's help. Painless transaction. Recommend him highly.

Have fun!

Quick Reply: Experiences with Car Locators?