Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RSR's vs Fabspeeds

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2003, 02:27 PM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 443 Likes on 242 Posts

icerbofh, the different acoustic environments, microphones, microphone placements, etc would have a huge effect. It would render the comparison meaningless unless the recordings were done exactly the same way in the same place with the only difference being the mufflers.
Old 09-21-2003, 03:39 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 321 Posts

Ron,

Thanks for your info. I have never heard of them but would love to check out the Monty website. PM me when you get a chance.
Old 09-21-2003, 04:05 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Mark in Hermosa

NOW....that being said, I liked his supercups on my track car. I have since sold them. I didn't feel they were streetable.
Mark,

Say what? So I guess you have not heard your current little red Carrera from the outside. You know, the one you drive to the track on the street? Just giving you a hard time. Now buy your trailer....
Old 09-21-2003, 04:48 PM
98993c2s
Addict
Rennlist Member

This is exactly what I intend to do in the next few days. Robin shipped me a set of RSRs last week. My plan is to use a video camera to record the sound of the stock mufflers (with motorsound package) and then put on the RSRs and duplicate the test. Then I'll import the video and make downloadable MP3s of before and after.

Originally posted by icerbofh
It would be nice if people could post wav files of the different kinds of mufflers so that a comparison can be made....
Old 09-21-2003, 05:56 PM
Mark in Hermosa
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by viperbob
Mark,

Say what? So I guess you have not heard your current little red Carrera from the outside. You know, the one you drive to the track on the street? Just giving you a hard time. Now buy your trailer....
How quickly we forget!!! I am not sure if you saw my little frame (sarcasm at its finest) under Big Red switching out my megaphones for my street muffler for my ride home. I was clearly dedicated to a "quiet" drive home given the fact it was over 100 degrees out there last weekend and I was working on a still-warm engine!

The trailer? Yes. In progress as we speak. In fact, the local ford dealer is bringing by one of those new F-150 SuperCrews to see if it fits in my garage. I am, quite properly, putting the horse before the cart...
Old 09-22-2003, 01:02 AM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

By now you should be getting the clear message that Robin is a first rate guy who does excellent work and stands behind his product. I challenge you to find a single negative comment about him or his product...comments by those with a specific agenda don't count. Soooo... I won't say any more about that.

As far as power increase from a muffler change is concerned, I really don't think ANY muffler is going to increase the power in a 993 by more than 5HP tops. EVERYTHING I have ever read on this subject says the same thing: the exhaust system on a 993 is about as good as it gets. If you are looking for a change in the sound...that's another story...the choices are many. I personally prefer Robin's RSR mufflers.
Old 09-22-2003, 05:47 PM
993Widebody
Racer

Originally posted by Allen

As far as power increase from a muffler change is concerned, I really don't think ANY muffler is going to increase the power in a 993 by more than 5HP tops. EVERYTHING I have ever read on this subject says the same thing: the exhaust system on a 993 is about as good as it gets.
If you consider the supercups to be a muffler (actually they are more of a straight pipe with baffles), they have been dyno'd to produce more then 5hp in gains. In fact respected members of this board have produced such a dyno with before and after tests at the crank.

Your statement simply is not true. I will agree that all the other muffler types, whether they are maxflows or RSRs will probably not get you more than a 5hp gain.
Old 09-22-2003, 09:58 PM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by 993Widebody
If you consider the supercups to be a muffler (actually they are more of a straight pipe with baffles
I don't consider them to be mufflers at all...they are simply a pipe in place of where a muffler USED to be.
Old 09-22-2003, 10:57 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Actually they are pipes with baffles inside.....they "muffle" the sound because of these baffles but as they are a lot smaller than conventional mufflers they allow more sound to pass through.

By definition they are mufflers as they do muffle the sound whereas a straight pipe would not.

I've got a set and I love them. I also bought a set of Maxflo's and never got them out of the box.
Old 09-23-2003, 12:59 AM
PWC
Instructor

RSRs - just added them - and I am very happy with the sound. It does come down to presonal preference. North of 4500 RPM the growl is a pleasure to behold. Makes you want to drive with the windows down on a crisp cool Fall day!

Quick Reply: RSR's vs Fabspeeds